Spike speeding up shows

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

osu1991

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Sep 4, 2004
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
This is going to give me even more reason to cancel or support Dish if it comes to dropping Viacom content.

I had Lip Sync Battle on this evening. During the repeat episodes, it sounded like the chipmunks were performing. All the music was squeaky and the people were moving faster and kind of jerky. Looked like they were running all the repeats at 1.5 or 2x. The actual new episode was ok. National Treasure was on afterwards at 11:05pm and they actually finished the reruns at 11:02 and started the movie early according the time on my 722.

Anyone else notice this? I was thinking my 722 might be about to bite the dust, but it was fine on other channels and during the 1 new episode tonight.

This is going to give me even more reason to cancel or support Dish if it comes to dropping Viacom content.

I had Lip Sync Battle on this evening. During the repeat episodes, it sounded like the chipmunks were performing. All the music was squeaky and the people were moving faster and kind of jerky. Looked like they were running all the repeats at 1.5 or 2x. The actual new episode was ok. National Treasure was on afterwards at 11:05pm and they actually finished the reruns at 11:02 and started the movie early according the time on my 722.

Anyone else notice this? I was thinking my 722 might be about to bite the dust, but it was fine on other channels and during the 1 new episode tonight.
I watch Spike but haven't notice anything like that.

This is not a new practice, Viacom has been doing this for years on their networks to gain extra time for ads.

Plus this does not belong in the Dish section.

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

This is not a new practice, Viacom has been doing this for years on their networks to gain extra time for ads.

Plus this does not belong in the Dish section.

Why does its not belong in the Dish section? I am a Dish sub using Dish equipment to watch it. Its the first time I've noticed it. For all I know it could be my equipment causing the problem as I have seen this when the hard drive was dying on my previous 722. If it's common, maybe I would have noticed it more often if Viacom had something worth watching or listening to, but this is the first time in years I've turned one of they crappy low rated nets on, and it will be the last.

Reactions: bmetelsky
Why does its not belong in the Dish section? I am a Dish sub using Dish equipment to watch it. Its the first time I've noticed it. For all I know it could be my equipment causing the problem as I have seen this when the hard drive was dying on my previous 722. If it's common, maybe I would have noticed it more often if Viacom had something worth watching or listening to, but this is the first time in years I've turned one of they crappy low rated nets on, and it will be the last.
Because the subject of you talking about Spike speeding up the shows isn't just affecting Dish, it affects all providers period.

When I had dish Viacom had been pitching their shows up back in 2014. They were not time compressing them, but actually pitching them up.

You are suggesting that Spike is sending a special feed only to Dish that's sped up ? Or are you suggesting that Dish is the one speeding it up ?

Not suggesting anything. I know it's Spike doing it and I know other networks apparently do it too, but this is the first I've personally seen of it.

I thought it might be the 722 as it's pretty old now, 3 years or more. 1st replacement of my original 722, but the new episodes I watched played normal and as soon as it went back to repeats the sound was high pitched and the video jerky and sped up. My nephews were over, so I normally don't watch Spike. Guess since I usually only watch 3 or 4 regular channels and sports I haven't seen it. If this is what is being sent out on other channels, then all the more reason for me to just cancel and be done with this crap. Especially after seeing what became of H2 today.

Viacom is also known to put a usually half-hour show into a 35 or 40 minute time slot so they can show more commercials, so I guess this is the other idea: show the same amount of commercials as a 40 minute slot offers, but speed the show up to fit all the ads in. Seems like Viacom is the worst offender at this. Perhaps they need to find some better paying advertisers and/or better quality programming that wouldn't rely on so many commercials?

Viacom is also known to put a usually half-hour show into a 35 or 40 minute time slot so they can show more commercials, so I guess this is the other idea: show the same amount of commercials as a 40 minute slot offers, but speed the show up to fit all the ads in. Seems like Viacom is the worst offender at this. Perhaps they need to find some better paying advertisers and/or better quality programming that wouldn't rely on so many commercials?
I thought the reasoning behind the 35-40 minute slots was to show the old half hour shows in their entirety without any cuts in the shows, since commercial time was much less when those old shows originally aired. TVLand does it a lot.

Reactions: osu1991 and Hall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts