Spittin' chickens - What's your method ??

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi folks! My gas grille has an independent rear IR heater for use with a spit. I can only recall using it once to spit a chicken and the result was most excellent! I use a fairly large bird of 6-8 lbs. (capon preferred) and cook it for 1.5 to 2 hours. The time is determined mostly by the size. I don't stuff the bird but I baste it frequently (inside with a baster and outside with a brush) with a mix of orange juice and "secret herbs & spices", my Dad's concoction. There's a tray under the rotating bird to catch the drippings and as it cooks that mixture accummulates a lot of the natural fats and juices along with the mix that I continue to use for basting right up to the end.

Next week I want to repeat this, but as it will be an after work effort I need to cut down the cooking time as much as possible. Would 2 smaller birds cook quicker? I would suspect as much but I wanted to get the opinion/experience of our extablished outdoor gourmet braintrust.

What other techniques do you use for chicken on a spit ??

Hi folks! My gas grille has an independent rear IR heater for use with a spit. I can only recall using it once to spit a chicken and the result was most excellent! I use a fairly large bird of 6-8 lbs. (capon preferred) and cook it for 1.5 to 2 hours. The time is determined mostly by the size. I don't stuff the bird but I baste it frequently (inside with a baster and outside with a brush) with a mix of orange juice and "secret herbs & spices", my Dad's concoction. There's a tray under the rotating bird to catch the drippings and as it cooks that mixture accummulates a lot of the natural fats and juices along with the mix that I continue to use for basting right up to the end.

Next week I want to repeat this, but as it will be an after work effort I need to cut down the cooking time as much as possible. Would 2 smaller birds cook quicker? I would suspect as much but I wanted to get the opinion/experience of our extablished outdoor gourmet braintrust.

What other techniques do you use for chicken on a spit ??

I don't have a IR heater on my Weber Genesis, but if I were to do a whole chicken on the grill, I'd cook it over indirect-medium heat for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours for a 3.5 to 5lb bird. If you're cooking to temperature, cook till 160-170ºF or until the juices run clear. Make sure to let rest for 10 minutes before slicing so the juices can redistribute. For such a long cook, I'd also try brining the bird before grilling to ensure moistness.

The result!

Just thought I'd put some closure on this old thread. (Had some file D/L issues that I finally resolved!)

So the chicken came out great - basted per the simple recipe in the OP. Cooked slowly for about 2 hours until the meat was pulling away from the bones. Juicy and mmm mmm good! Served it up with baked potatos, corm, beans, asparagus, and a bunch of suds...!

Attachments

• DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 271
  • DSC00137.JPG
    DSC00137.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 281

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)