Spittin' chickens - What's your method ??

bhelms

Retired & lovin' it!
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Feb 26, 2006
Central PA
Hi folks! My gas grille has an independent rear IR heater for use with a spit. I can only recall using it once to spit a chicken and the result was most excellent! I use a fairly large bird of 6-8 lbs. (capon preferred) and cook it for 1.5 to 2 hours. The time is determined mostly by the size. I don't stuff the bird but I baste it frequently (inside with a baster and outside with a brush) with a mix of orange juice and "secret herbs & spices", my Dad's concoction. There's a tray under the rotating bird to catch the drippings and as it cooks that mixture accummulates a lot of the natural fats and juices along with the mix that I continue to use for basting right up to the end.

Next week I want to repeat this, but as it will be an after work effort I need to cut down the cooking time as much as possible. Would 2 smaller birds cook quicker? I would suspect as much but I wanted to get the opinion/experience of our extablished outdoor gourmet braintrust.

What other techniques do you use for chicken on a spit ??

Hi folks! My gas grille has an independent rear IR heater for use with a spit. I can only recall using it once to spit a chicken and the result was most excellent! I use a fairly large bird of 6-8 lbs. (capon preferred) and cook it for 1.5 to 2 hours. The time is determined mostly by the size. I don't stuff the bird but I baste it frequently (inside with a baster and outside with a brush) with a mix of orange juice and "secret herbs & spices", my Dad's concoction. There's a tray under the rotating bird to catch the drippings and as it cooks that mixture accummulates a lot of the natural fats and juices along with the mix that I continue to use for basting right up to the end.

Next week I want to repeat this, but as it will be an after work effort I need to cut down the cooking time as much as possible. Would 2 smaller birds cook quicker? I would suspect as much but I wanted to get the opinion/experience of our extablished outdoor gourmet braintrust.

What other techniques do you use for chicken on a spit ??

I don't have a IR heater on my Weber Genesis, but if I were to do a whole chicken on the grill, I'd cook it over indirect-medium heat for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours for a 3.5 to 5lb bird. If you're cooking to temperature, cook till 160-170ºF or until the juices run clear. Make sure to let rest for 10 minutes before slicing so the juices can redistribute. For such a long cook, I'd also try brining the bird before grilling to ensure moistness.

The result!

Just thought I'd put some closure on this old thread. (Had some file D/L issues that I finally resolved!)

So the chicken came out great - basted per the simple recipe in the OP. Cooked slowly for about 2 hours until the meat was pulling away from the bones. Juicy and mmm mmm good! Served it up with baked potatos, corm, beans, asparagus, and a bunch of suds...!

Attachments

• DSC00135.JPG
    DSC00135.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 266
  • DSC00137.JPG
    DSC00137.JPG
    364 KB · Views: 277

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)