Split before the pre-amp, or after?

kelton325

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 6, 2006
Circleville, OH
I am looking to split my antenna feed near the antenna (in my attic), and need some input:

I have a CM 7777 pre-amp - should I split the signal BEFORE the pre-amp, or should I split the output of the pre-amp (in between the pre-amp and the power source)? Those are the only two options because splitting after the power source would require me to run a long cable back upstairs to the bedroom.

I'm thinking I should split BEFORE the pre-amp, but I didn't want to risk losing any signal strength before it goes into the pre-amp. Will that hurt my signal?

Also, can anyone recommend a quality low-loss splitter?

kelton325 said:
I am looking to split my antenna feed near the antenna (in my attic), and need some input:

I have a CM 7777 pre-amp - should I split the signal BEFORE the pre-amp, or should I split the output of the pre-amp (in between the pre-amp and the power source)? Those are the only two options because splitting after the power source would require me to run a long cable back upstairs to the bedroom.

I'm thinking I should split BEFORE the pre-amp, but I didn't want to risk losing any signal strength before it goes into the pre-amp. Will that hurt my signal?

Also, can anyone recommend a quality low-loss splitter?

The splitter should be after the preamp. The loss of the preamp won't matter because the 7777 has so much gain. Look for a splitter that passes power so that the power supply for the 7777 can be mounted behind your TV set instead of in the attic.

Tower Guy said:
The splitter should be after the preamp. The loss of the preamp won't matter because the 7777 has so much gain. Look for a splitter that passes power so that the power supply for the 7777 can be mounted behind your TV set instead of in the attic.

Thanks for the quick response!

Just want to clarify by "after" do you mean between the antenna and the pre-amp, or between the pre-amp and the power supply? Right now, my power supply is behind my TV, and the pre-amp is in the attic.

I interpret your answer to mean that I should install the splitter between the pre-amp and the power supply, in which case I would need a splitter that would pass the power "backwards" into the pre-amp. Any recommendations on one that would do this?

Thanks again!

tv out on power supply ...coax ...to splitter

see pic :)

the power passing stuff is too complicated for some of us. ..its like debit n credit.

Towerguy...explain the powerpassing thing to me though in detail...

Attachments

• P1010054.JPG
    P1010054.JPG
    14.6 KB · Views: 242
Last edited:
Rick0725 said:
tv out on power supply ...coax ...to splitter

see pic :)

the power passing stuff is too complicated for some of us.

Towerguy...explain the powerpassing thing to me though in detail...

Splitting between the power supply and TV would require me to run another cable back up two stories, which I'm trying to avoid. The antenna is directly above the bedroom where I want the 2nd feed to go, so I want to split either between the antenna and the pre-amp, or between the pre-amp and the power supply. I figured splitting between the power supply and TV would be the *best*, but since that won't work for me, I guess I'm looking for the 2nd best option.

Thanks!

kelton325 said:
Splitting between the power supply and TV would require me to run another cable back up two stories, which I'm trying to avoid. The antenna is directly above the bedroom where I want the 2nd feed to go, so I want to split either between the antenna and the pre-amp, or between the pre-amp and the power supply. I figured splitting between the power supply and TV would be the *best*, but since that won't work for me, I guess I'm looking for the 2nd best option.

Thanks!

The easiest place for the splitter is between the power supply and the TV. To split the signal anywhere between the power supply and the preamp, here's one such device that can be used to solve the problem. Connect the input of the splitter to the preamp cable. Connect the left side of the splitter to the power supply. One TV gets a signal from the right side of the splitter, the other is connected to the power supply.

http://www.accessorywarehouse.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=20245

This works perfectly, it's just more complicated to set up properly.

Last edited:
Tower Guy said:
The easiest place for the splitter is between the power supply and the TV. To split the signal anywhere between the power supply and the preamp, here's one such device that can be used to solve the problem. Connect the input of the splitter to the preamp cable. Connect the left side of the splitter to the power supply. One TV gets a signal from the right side of the splitter, the other is connected to the power supply.

http://www.accessorywarehouse.com/shop/customer/product.php?productid=20245

This works perfectly, it's just more complicated to set up properly.

This looks like EXACTLY what I need. This eliminates my concern of signal loss by splitting before the pre-amp, since I'm this thing will split the amplified signal out of the pre-amp. Do I have that correct?

Thank you for the excellent input!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)