split inside - one to modem one to tv?

JKeats

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 6, 2005
i'm on dish for most chans but am going to be switching over to cable for my locals (gets me a discount on my cable internet which i have and love).

my question is... in my office, can i split the line intended for my cable modem and run one line to the modem and another to a WinTV card so i can watch (at least) my locals while i'm hunkered down in front of the computer?

i've heard you can do it but it might slow your internet speed.

anyone have any experiance?

I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that. And I don't see why it would slow down your Internet connection.
The only question is whether any channels are actually sent over this connections or is it a data-only service. Just give it a try and you will see.

You can do this, I would recomend using a High Quality Splitter. A low quality splitter could make your return level of your modem jump to high and make your modem go online and offline all the time.

Here in PHX Cable Internet alone is $49. You get $10 off if you bundle any other service with it.

It just so happens that analog cable is $10.

It actually costs a dollar and change more with the cable vs no cable as you pay tax on cable TV.

I have 7 tuners (TV / Tivo / Computer TV tuner card) hooked up with my Cable Modem and I've not having any issues.

1,000 mhz splitter

Make sure you use a 1,000 mhz splitter to ensure quality. Before I split the feed, I had Comcast test the outlet to measure the feed. A good positive feed, ensures better signal after the split is done.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts