Split LNB Line

Status
Please reply by conversation.

godfather818

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 1, 2008
Hey guys How do I split the LNB line to go to 2 receivers. I tried a reg 2 way splitter but didnt work. I have a single LNB that is getting 97W Right now it is connected directly to my 1st receiver. I am adding a 2nd receiver, what switch is required to split the LNB line 2 ways.

you need a high frequency splitter (needs to go up to 2200 mhz)

you will get the same polarity on both receivers..if you want opposite polarities at the same time you need a dual LNB

Be careful - the splitter should only pass voltage on one of the lines, not both. Hooking up +18V on 2 receivers could blow up 1 or both receivers. Like Iceberg mentioned, a splitter does not take care of the polarity issue where 1 receiver wants to watch a channel on a Horizontal transponder and the other wants to watch a Vertical transponder. A dual-LNB is the way to go. That does involve running 2 lines to the dish though.

What is wrong about getting same polarity on both receivers?

Half of the channels are on Vertical and half are on Horizontal.

For example:

You could not watch 'Smile of a Child' Freq- 12177 Vertical and 'Russia Today' 11966 Horizontal at the same time. Only 1 receiver can control Vertical/Horizontal. Unless you get a Dual LNB, then they can both use either Vertical or Horizontal independent of the other receiver.

I have a Directv 36in oval World Direct dish. Which LNB is compatible with it's LNB holders.

no

That splitter is marked "Power Passing" on both ports.
So, it won't be appropriate for your use.

The best solution is a two-output LNB.
With that, you can actually use a multi-switch to feed the signal to more than two receivers, should you ever need to expand.
We have that documented in the FAQ section.

However, there is another way to get a 2nd receiver working, if you are willing to have it limiited to the same polarity (vertical or horizontal) as the primary receiver.
Connect a coax from the "Loop Out" of the first receiver, to the "LNB In" of the second.
I really don't like doing that, but it may provide some immediate relief while you are deciding which LNB to buy and where to get it. ;)

Another option is a stacked Dish FSS LNB (from a Superdish). There's no polarity issue on those, since they are stacked (both horizontal and vertical polarities are sent down at the same time). I believe the FSS LNB from a DirecTV International dish is C-120 flanged, same as the Dish FSS LNB. If you replace the FSS LNB on the D* International dish with a Superdish FSS LNB, then you could use a ONE PORT POWER PASS splitter rated for 2200 mhz or higher, and you'll be able to see both polarities. You will need a blind scan receiver to find the horizontal frequencies, since they will be above the verticals at higher frequencies than they normally are. Your "master" receiver would be connected to the power pass port, and would always have to be on to view programming with the second receiver. Another way would be to use the loop through of the first receiver, as Anole suggested, instead of a splitter. With the stacked LNB, either receiver would be able to see both polarities.

Another option is a stacked Dish FSS LNB (from a Superdish). There's no polarity issue on those, since they are stacked (both horizontal and vertical polarities are sent down at the same time). I believe the FSS LNB from a DirecTV International dish is C-120 flanged, same as the Dish FSS LNB. If you replace the FSS LNB on the D* International dish with a Superdish FSS LNB, then you could use a ONE PORT POWER PASS splitter rated for 2200 mhz or higher, and you'll be able to see both polarities. You will need a blind scan receiver to find the horizontal frequencies, since they will be above the verticals at higher frequencies than they normally are. Your "master" receiver would be connected to the power pass port, and would always have to be on to view programming with the second receiver. Another way would be to use the loop through of the first receiver, as Anole suggested, instead of a splitter. With the stacked LNB, either receiver would be able to see both polarities.

Thanks Tron. I do have a FSS LNB from superdish which gets 121 and I dont need it. If I put that on DTV world direct dish. Does it only work with 2 way splitter. Will I be able to make that go to 3 receivers with 3 way splitter or 4 way?

Also Tron will there be a signal quality difference when using the FSS LNB from superdish and less number of channels? Or everything would be the same.

you can use a 4 way splitter with a stacked LNB. I do that with my stacked C-Band LNB

The thing with the SD LNB's is the H polarity stuff is going to be at a different frequency. If the boxes have blind scan then its a moot point (just blind scan) but if you manually have to enter the info then its different

I know the old rule was set the LNB LO to 13850 and scan V only...that will bring in everything. There is a way to convert it the old way from 10750...lemme find it

by the way I found some heavy duty sat splitters with one side power passing at lowes for like 5-6 bucks

Sounds like a good deal, Iceberg... The 2.2 ghz splitters are usually around the $10 range. Lowes often has good clearance deals on CATV and satellite-related accessories...

I just happen to see these yesterday when I was buying a bunch of zip ties (had a $10 off coupon but had to spend $25) so I bought some zip ties (like 1200 of the 8" ones) :D

And just happened to see the 2 way sat splitter (rated to 2300mhz) and the right side was power passing. They also had 4 way but those were all passing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts