splitter??? adding 5th receiver HELP...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

myoung321

Original poster
Jun 10, 2005
I have recently updated a bedroom to be a game room and would like to run a sat line into the room. I currently have a Super Dish, with a multi-switch with 4 outs running 4 receivers.... here's the question.. Can I split off of one of the current lines after the switch or do I need more equipment ( other than a new receiver ;) )????

any help will be greatly appreciated...thanks in advance.

True, but if you have a DPP44 switch and one of your current receivers is a dual tuner, you can use a DPP seperator on that one receiver and free up the other line for the new receiver. If not you have to cascade a second switch onto your current switch for the new receiver.

what about this one??????

dp21.gif

dp34_dp21.jpg

link to above image

Since it's a game room and may not be used as often as other rooms, why not do a mirror off a uhf (tv2) that also isn't used much?
This can save you money, no extra recievers needed, etc.

I found a thread that may work for my question.

Actually, I have a couple statements and then a question.

STATEMENT:

I have a Dishnetwork 500 DP LNBF on the roof. Two coaxi coming out o' the LNB and into the house. In the house I have one coax going into one reciever and the other coax is passing through a DC pass splitter and then going to two different receivers. One receiver gives me a switch error the other doesn't. I replaced the one receiver thinking it was the reciever. The problem continues. I believe my problems lie with the fact that my current LNBF cannot support three recievers.

So looking into this issue, I was told that I need to get a "LEGACY LNB" and run the two lines from that into a DP switch that (one with four reciever outputs) and then connect the recievers to that, only then there would be no problems; I would reciever both sats on all the receivers, we could all hold hands and then we would have world peace.

So as I understand it, a LEGACY LNB does not have a built-in switch; it just has a "pick-up" for satellite 110 and 119 and the actual switch needs to be installed in another location.

Question:

Am I correct in my assumptions?

If I am, just to make sure I get what I need and cuz I'm kinda weird, in order for my setup to work I need a ________ LNB and a DP____ switch in my basement to connect my three and possibly more receivers to.

Thanks and later~

micqn

I can not answer the question about "Legacy LNBF do not have built-in switches" but that may be true.

On your 2 receivers attached to a DC Pass Splitter:
I suspect you may have a splitter that does not pass, i.e., blocks DC on the port to the receiver with the error message. But that doesn't really matter since you can not have 2 receivers controlling the same LNBF output at the same time, i.e., receiver 2 wants a Even Transponder from 110 while receiver 3 wants a Odd Transponder from 110.

In regards to what you were told, I don't believe going and buy a "Legacy LNBF" would be helpful.

However, it sounds like you have a DP Twin LNBF with 2 outputs, and therefore, you should be able to feed the 2 outputs to an external switch, such as a DP34 which could feed 4 receivers provided they each had a separate cable from the switch to the receiver. This should solve your current issue and allow for possible future expansion.

However, it all depends on your current receivers (models) and which future receivers. And there are multiple ways to achieve your goal.

Here's some links to LNBF's and Switches.
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/LNBFS/DISHNETWORK-LNBF.htm
http://www.sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/DishNetwork-switches.htm

EDIT: It's good you searched the threads for a possible answer, but you probably should of started a new current thread.

Last edited:
micqn,

NO SPLITTERS! If your "500 DP LNBF" is a DP Twin you can add a DP34 switch in the basement to feed all 3 receivers.

Legacy LNBs can NOT be used with DP switches. The LNB/switch configuration must be all legacy or all DishPro.

No LNBF has a built-in switch. Both DishPro and legacy versions of the Twin and Quad have 2 LNBFs and a switch, making them more than "an LNB."

Related EKB info:
Switch Selector
DishPro Technology
Twin

Why the heck are people getting satellite and cable confused.just because we use coax doesnt mean we can do the same stuff they can. LEAVE SPLITTERS OUT OF THE SYSTEM unless its after the receiver regardless of the equipment thats being used.

cleve_dnsc_tech said:
Why the heck are people getting satellite and cable confused.just because we use coax doesnt mean we can do the same stuff they can. LEAVE SPLITTERS OUT OF THE SYSTEM unless its after the receiver regardless of the equipment thats being used.

This is why you guys are here -- To help find err in our ways and to lead us down the path of celestial received entertainment. Thanks for your input. This is going to be easier than I first thought.

Remember, any entertainment that is transmitted through the ground is compost. Entertainment from the skies is heavenly.

Claude Greiner said:
You need (2) DP single LNB's for that to work with the cascade, it will not work on a DP twin

I don't think that's correct.

Whenever we replace a SuperDish with a Dish 500, we use either two DP duals, or a DP twin, or a DP Quad, with the 2 coaxs going back into ports 1 and 2 of either the DP 34 switch or DP Plus 44 switch.

On the Quad LNB, the 2 coaxs must be connected onto LNB ports 1 & 4, or 2 & 3, or it won't work correctly going back thru the switch.

That being said, I do prefer to use two DP duals.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts