splitter question (adding FTA to my Bud)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

7720driver

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
New Albany, MS
I've been reading about FTA here, and I've ordered a Coolsat 5000 receiver, a QPH-031 LNB and a SG2100 motor (on which I will mount my old Primestar dish).

I have a BUD and an analog receiver (an Echostar 710), which I want to keep operational.

I want my Coolsat 5000 to be hooked up to the Ku dish AND my BUD (through a DiSEqC switch).

I'll use the FTA receiver more often than the analog receiver, so it will be best to let the FTA reciever control polarity. Thus, I'm going to replace my c-band feedhorn (Chaparral Corotor II plus) with a LNBF that uses voltage to switch the polarity (a ASC421 LNBF).

I have seen the diagram here on this forum that shows how to add a FTA receiver to a BUD system, but I'm unsure as to the exact type of high frequency splitters that I should purchase. Would these splitters need to be the type in which power is only passed from one of the two ports. Would that work? Would I need to buy a high quality splitter to be sure that power doesn't backfeed from one reciever to the other? I don't have any experience with splitters, and I don' want to blow up one of my receivers. Any advice you guys can give me would be appreciated.

(With this setup, I realize that, when watching analog programs through my Echostar 710, I'll have to use my Coolsat 5000 to change polarity. That's a minor hindrance that I see no way of avoiding.)

The Coolsat doesnt move a big dish as is. So you'd have to use the analog reciever to move the dish.

The splitters need to be high frequency (2200MHZ). Some are power passing one side but most are both sides power passing. You could always put a DC block on the one side.

Thanks for your input, Iceberg. I might just use the one-side-power-passing type splitters AND the DC blocks. I never knew there was such a thing as a "DC block", but I'll search the internet and find a place to buy a couple of 'em.

I read in this forum that you can enable a FTA receiver to move a BUD by using a VBox II. But the VBox II is new and the jury is still out on it, according to what I read. So I'll just use my analog receiver to move the BUD.

I've spent hours reading this forum learning about FTA. This place is the best. Helping each other is what you guys are all about. Kinda restores my faith in humanity. Hats off to all the guys here in this forum, especially you moderators. Iceberg, you da man.

slaving dvb receiver to bud and analog

actually the way i have my Fortec Ultra Lifetime dvb box slaved to my orb-7500 analog receiver is that I just use 2- two way power passing high frequency Tru-Spec splitters One from my KU lnbf and one from my C-band lnbf. No DC blocks.

As long as my analog receiver is on a vertical channel, the voltage clash is no problem. Vertical produces 13 V DC and Horizontal produces 18 V DC.

If my fortec selects a vertical channel or transponder and my analog receiver is on a horizontal channel then my Fortec does not receive anything until i switch the channel on the analog receiver.

The reason i don't like dc blockers is that whichever receiver you put the DC block on is dependent on the polarity of the other receiver on the splitter.

I like the convienience of just powering off one receiver and using the other one without switches or cable swaping. It also allows me total control from any room in the house with Uhf remotes. If I had a manual switch I would have to be in the room with the receivers to control the power feed to the lnbf's.

Remeber the receiver with the highest voltage (horizontal) will win the battle for control of the lnbf. So as long as the opposite reciever is on Vertical or turned off, the other receiver will have full control of the polarity of the lnbf.

This may not be the industry accepted way of slaving but it does work without any damage to the lnbfs.

:)

That's a real cool setup you have there, truckracer. I was worried that 18 volts might backfeed to the the other receiver when it was on 13 volts....and damage something. But I guess that's nothing to worry about. (I'm a farmer, not an electrical engineer.)

If my analog receiver were capable of switching polarity by varying the voltage to the lnb, then I'd be wanting to set up my new analog/FTA system just like yours. But my analog receiver is an old Echostar 710 which does polarity by controling a servo motor which twists the probe in the feed horn.

HEY, THAT GIVES ME AN IDEA! I could use that servo motor to throw a switch that could inject 18 volts into the line. All I'd need would be an 18-volt-source, a switch, and an adapter thing for getting the 18 volts into the coaxial cable.

Anybody reading this, have you ever heard of this being done? If you have any ideas on how best to do this, I'd love to hear them.

I am 7720 driver..... a farmer, not an engineer. I used to drive a John Deere 7720 cotton picker. Name is David.

servo to lnbf converter

Actually one time i did see a device on the web somewhere that would take servo voltage from an analog receiver that did not have an "lnbf option" in the antenna setup menu and it would interpret the +5 vdc, ground, pulse signals and send 18vdc or 13vdc whichever was appropriate.

I can't remember where i saw it.:(

I will look around and see if i can find it or maybe post it here somewhere.

With your present setup, it may be easier for you to continue to use the servo motor and feedhorn you have and let your analog control the polarity assuming all you gear is working properly. Your other option is to buy an analog c-band receiver that can run an lnbf. Mine came from WWW.EYEINTHESKY.NET under the c-band products. It's an ORB-7500 analog c-band receiver. It has a uhf remote control that will work all over the house in even out back in my gazebo.

I split the channel 4 output with distribution amps to feed all my tv's.

of course all the tv's see the same channel but that's ok here since i am not married and have no kids.

Hey thanks for seeing if you can find any info on that servo device, truckracer. I appreciate it. :)

All my analog stuff works good, but since I figure I'll use the FTA receiver more than the analog, I'm gonna install a voltage-switched C-band LNB.

Yes, I've thought about just buying a new(er) analog reciver (one that offers polarity control via voltage switching). I'll check out WWW.EYEINTHESKY.NET

The VCRS II Plus module in my analog receiver still works, but is of little use to me. (I have a Dishnetwork system, and tonight I ordered a VIP 622.)

You're very knowledgeable. I might want to ask you for more advice in the future. I might contact you directly, if that's ok.

glad to help

Hey i am always glad to help if i can. I am not a communications engineer but i have played around with satellite dishes, lnbs, and receivers.

Just PM me if you want.

Good Luck:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)