Splittling One LNB from a Dual LNB Dish: Is this possible?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

pjbap

Original poster
Jan 26, 2010
Greater Philly
Hi Everybody:

I have a standard def DTV dual LNB dish. One LNB coax goes into a Hughes receiver in my bedroom. The other LNB coax goes into my house, but is currently not connected to any receiver (just hangs in the basement ceiling)

I want to connect a second receiver to the LNB coax that is in the bedroom via a split. I prefer to do this rather than re-threading the other unused LNB cable due to logistics within the house. I simply want to split that one cable going into the bedroom, connect one split to the reciever in the bedroom, thread the other split through a hole in the bedroom floor, down to the basement and connect it to a second receiver there.

When I do this, I lose channels. I'm starting to understand why (Transponder polarities, etc). My question: Is it even possible to split one LNB line to two receivers and obtain full programming on both? Thanks for advice.

PJB

I really wish I could split one cable. If I really need to use that second LNB, I'll have to drill another hole in my bedroom window, and rethread everything.

So what I'm hearing is it is impossible to split one LNB cable to two different recievers and that I really need to connect the second LNB cable to the second recevier, correct?

This may be a ridiculous question: What would happen if I merge the two LNBs to one line via a splitter, then split that one line to two different receivers.

Thanks for input.

PJB

I'll add this tidbit: I do hear of Satellite users able to split one LNB line. One of my work colleagues says he does so with a Dish Network satellite. It is suggested that I'm simply getting degradation of signal when two recievers are connected to the one line.

DirecTV also indicates that I should be able to do this with a Multi-Switch. Again, I try, but I lose channels (Actually to be more precise, it looks like I lose all odd transponders)

Dish Network has the single wire capability so that splitting is possible. DirecTV also has this now with SWM. But, you'd need to upgrade your system (dish, LNB, receivers). Right now you will need a multiswitch with both lines from the dish connected. The the outputs will be connected to your receivers.

If you do try a split (Don't), you can lose half of the transponders.

Thanks for the input JD:

What is an SWM? Also, DirectTV Tech Support (If that means anything) did indicate that with a type of "box", I'd should be able to split one LNB line. They told me to go to Best Buy.

Again, is it possibe to combine two LNB outputs into one line, then split that line to two receivers? Thanks again.

You cannot just combine two LNBs and then use a splitter.

SWM stands for Single Wire Multiswitch or Module. It comes in two flavors: one is in the LNB which has a single output and the other is a module that takes the four outputs from the Slimline dish LNB and puts them on one line.

A search here on the forum for 'SWM' will give you more information.

In order to use SWM you need SWM capable receivers.

I really wish I could split one cable. If I really need to use that second LNB, I'll have to drill another hole in my bedroom window, and rethread everything.

So what I'm hearing is it is impossible to split one LNB cable to two different recievers and that I really need to connect the second LNB cable to the second recevier, correct?

This may be a ridiculous question: What would happen if I merge the two LNBs to one line via a splitter, then split that one line to two different receivers.

Thanks for input.

PJB
Time for BASIC SATELLITE 101: A Directv satellite system works by sending out either 12Volts or 18 Volts this is Voltage switching of Polarities. In a simple system one cable goes from your receiver to your dish and that receiver sends either voltage to select ODD or EVEN channels. Add a second receiver add a second line to the dish so receiver #2 can select separate voltages and independently change channels. Up to 16 receivers can be added using MULTISWITCHES which are not splitters.

Add a splitter and you lose that voltage switching capabilities either 1 receiver switches the voltage or it outputs a constant voltage locking at one polarity.

Yes there are bandstacking systems that do away with VOLTAGE SWITCHING but it becomes a more complex and costly way of doing things.:):):)

Thanks Boba. Yes I am in need of Satellite 101. ;-)

Now I understand the "18 V", and "12 V" inputs seen on my multiswitch.

So I guess I've been barking up the wrong tree. What is frustrating is that both DirectTV Tech Support, as well as personnel at Radio Shack claim I should be able to split one LNB line to two receivers.

Summary: To operate two receivers from one Dual LNB dish, I can either (1), have both those lines connected to each reciever, or (2), connect both lines to the 12 and 18 volt inputs on a multi switch, then output two more lines from that switch to each indivdual receiver. I cannot, however, split, nor "switch" one line to two receivers. Does that summarize? Thanks.

Last edited:
Thanks Boba. Yes I am in need of Satellite 101. ;-)

Now I understand the "18 V", and "12 V" inputs seen on my multiswitch.

So I guess I've been barking up the wrong tree. What is frustrating is that both DirectTV Tech Support, as well as personnel at Radio Shack claim I should be able to split one LNB line to two receivers.

Summary: To operate two receivers from one Dual LNB dish, I can either (1), have both those lines connected to each reciever, or (2), connect both lines to the 12 and 18 volt inputs on a multi switch, then output two more lines from that switch to each indivdual receiver. I cannot, however, split, nor "switch" one line to two receivers. Does that summarize? Thanks.

Not quite. You only need multiple lines to the receivers if they are DVRs, which have two tuners.

You can connect both lines from the dish to a multiswitch and then a single line from the multiswitch to each receiver. Since you have a SD system, an inexpensive (~$10) 2x4 or 3x4 multiswitch is needed, not a SWM or 6x8 switch.

If I am reading your original post you have a dual LNB with only 1 Hughes receiver connected to it. You don't need a multiswitch to connect your second receiver you just need to move the line run to the basement to the bedroom.

Both Tech support and Radio Shack could be correct depending on your equipment.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts