Sporadic Black Screen on certain channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kaomie

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
New Lenox, IL
Is anyone else having and issue with the screen going black for a split second? I have noticed it on HBOwHD and Lifetime HD. But not on HBOHD or ESPNHD. Any ideas?

I have always had this issue for the 7 years that I have been with D. If you find a solution let me know.

What model DirecTV units? What make & model display? What version HDMI? If you switch from HDMI to component does it still happen or vice-versa?

I do not have these issues at all on multiple displays; some on HDMI and one on component. I agree with JD to check into HDMI issues; maybe even a cable swap making sure you have a v1.3c or v1.4 HDMI

Such as:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=4956&seq=1&format=2

It's an HR21-700. I switched hdmi cables and it didn't help. I didn't think that was the problem considering it was only happening on certain channels. For some reason it is not happening this morning, maybe it was a reception issue?

This problem happened to a family member yesterday. I reset her receiver. I am not sure if that did the trick. However, I think it was a D* problem as it was the first time that I saw this happen to her. She had on Lifetime HD, and it happened on Encore East HD, too.

I have the same problems with Encore HD and Lifetime HD, it started yesterday. Every 45 second the picture flicks for a half of a second. I got the HR-23-700 a month ago. Called D* and they are sending a service man. I told them that I want the HR24 for replacement, also my connections are with components cable.

I havent seen this recently, but that sort of momentary blanking can be caused by static electricity buildup on an improperly or ungrounded dish dishcharging. It can also be a ground loop problem inside the house not involving the dish.

There also was a problem a little while back with the type of mpeg4 transcoding equipment that directv uses improperly handling certain block boundaries, which led to occasional picture breakup and the infamous zipper/brippp sound. I havent seen that problem very much lately, but I have seen a few blank or repeated frames on occasion and perhaps at about the same rate. So maybe their 'fix' for the zipper problem was to give you a few silent black frames instead of an annoying little sound.

This problem depended on certain channels and the mpeg2 gear they used, in conjunction with certain models of the mpeg4 transcoding equipment that directv uses. Its 110% a directv issue, and the problem doesnt manifest itself in purely mpeg2 transmission setups like local broadcast and copper cable networks. I dont know if this occurs with Dish, I dont follow them at all.

Status
Please reply by conversation.