Canceled D*, get D* to remove dish on roof?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

armoured

Original poster
Apr 4, 2009
US
Hey guys I just had my service set up to be canceled on the 29th.

I live in a town house and last time I checked I had the service plan, and I've done some research and people say that D* will not remove your dish for fear of roof liability.

However, will I be able to persuade them to send a tech out using my service plan for him to take down the extremely long coaxial wires that goes from the roof all the way down to the basement along with the top part of the satellite and just leave the bolts in-tact?

I don't want to have any problems with the satellite years from now (strong winds, etc).

Thank you for your input.

I doubt you will have any luck with that. You own the dish so they will not want to do anything that they could be liable for.

It only takes the removal of 5 bolts to remove a slimline 5 from the foot and bracing mounts,no roof damage at all if you don't mess with the metal parts that are connected directly to the roofing materials.

If you put a little flashing cement on the remaining metal parts the likelihood of a water leak drops to near zero.

Once they find out your cancelling, they want nothing more to do with you. Its highly unlikely they will cover the cost of sending out a technician to remove your equipment to help you cancel.

Your better off asking the cable guy, or the DISH Network guy to remove it for you when you switch service providers.

^^ Thanks for the idea of asking the new service guy to do it if the phone call doesn't go well.

I set up the cancellation for July 29th, so right now I am still considered a paying customer, even though when I access my account it says that it's closed and I can't access anything.

Seriously it would be pretty f* up of them to not send out a technician, considering I have a service plan with them that allows me to get a technician out for free, and once again since I have not actually canceled my service or sent back the boxes, they should at least honor my service contract.

But I'll know when I call them this weekend. Got 2 more weeks to go. The very least they should allow the technician to take down the coaxial cables connecting to the dish itself, and leave the dish alone if the fear liability - that I'm fine with.

^^ Thanks for the idea of asking the new service guy to do it if the phone call doesn't go well.

I set up the cancellation for July 29th, so right now I am still considered a paying customer, even though when I access my account it says that it's closed and I can't access anything.

Seriously it would be pretty f* up of them to not send out a technician, considering I have a service plan with them that allows me to get a technician out for free, and once again since I have not actually canceled my service or sent back the boxes, they should at least honor my service contract.

But I'll know when I call them this weekend. Got 2 more weeks to go. The very least they should allow the technician to take down the coaxial cables connecting to the dish itself, and leave the dish alone if the fear liability - that I'm fine with.

Call them out on the 28th for a problem, when they get there, tell them you would like the dish taken down and close your account.

No you no longer considered a paying customer.

You are a pending disc customer

If you had a issue at this point we would just credit for time with out service.

you should of never told them to cancel till you were ready to cancel that day.

Seriously it would be pretty f* up of them to not send out a technician, considering I have a service plan with them that allows me to get a technician out for free

Seriously, it's a plan for FIXING your EXISTING service - NOT to REMOVE your existing service that you will NO longer have... :rolleyes: :confused:

Honestly, I've never heard of ANY TV provider offering to remove ANYTHING from your house when you disco them, other than to maybe pick-up set-top boxes, at which they normally charge a prem visit to do so, regardless if you are paying for any so-called "protection plan". So, I don't see why D* would be ANY different. Matter of fact, do you realize that when you now disconnect from DISH, they now actually charge YOU $15 PER BOX, to send any leased receivers back to them - again, protection plan or NOT! (and since you're basically telling DISH to shove off, just try attempting to get them to waive those charges)
So I guess consider lucky you weren't on DISH & having to pay that.

As everyone has already told you, your current provider is NOT going to do anything to help you remove any of their stuff, especially when you're dumping them for ANOTHER provider - protection plan or not. As Claude points out, if you're switching to DISH, the tech may remove the existing DirecTV dish, just because he would probably put the new dish in the same spot & reuse the existing coax, (& visa-versa to flip from DISH to DirecTV) but if it's cable provider, I highly doubt they're going to mess with a dish, or even remove those said cables, either - but maybe if you slip the tech some $$$ he might do it... :D

Last edited:
My wife used to have Dish Network for foreign programming. That was 6 1/2 years ago. The dish is still on the roof and we live in a high wind area. No problems so far.

Well my service isn't official canceled yet, so in theory, I can prob still reactivate it and have a tech come out and then cancel after; unless D* (which they prob will) puts a note on my account; but that's a lot of hassle having to go back to retentions etc....

More then likely I'm SOL. I never understood/agree with people treating you so badly after you cancel/deactivate the service; however I guess that's standard business in the cable/sat industry.

I understand them looking to save money by not sending a tech out for a customer who is no longer a customer; but at this point I am still considered a paying customer (ever try setting up a future cutoff service? They repeatedly acknowledge you as still a customer after and remind you can call back at anytime to cancel the cutoff).

Well my service isn't official canceled yet, so in theory, I can prob still reactivate it and have a tech come out and then cancel after; unless D* (which they prob will) puts a note on my account; but that's a lot of hassle having to go back to retentions etc....

More then likely I'm SOL. I never understood/agree with people treating you so badly after you cancel/deactivate the service; however I guess that's standard business in the cable/sat industry.

I understand them looking to save money by not sending a tech out for a customer who is no longer a customer; but at this point I am still considered a paying customer (ever try setting up a future cutoff service? They repeatedly acknowledge you as still a customer after and remind you can call back at anytime to cancel the cutoff).

I don't think you understand at all. The Protection Plan doesn't cover removing the dish and wires from your home. You want it done pay someone to do it. Stop trying to cheap.

Have you seen the economy? Everyone's trying to be cheap.

Last time I checked the service plan covers installing new dishes and wires for repairs, so you're telling me that it doesn't cover the opposite? Now who's being cheap - certainty not me.

Im not gonna pay someone $200 bucks when I've been a D* customer for 5 years with the protection plan for 5 years that I've used maybe twice........I think I deserve them sending a tech out to remove a couple of wires - f the dish leave it up there I just want the wires gone.

Deff not the forums I should post in. Seems like everyone here is defensive about their satellite service.

It's got nothing to do with being defensive. YOU own the dish and the wires, if you want them down YOU have to take them down or pay someone to do it. Direct TV doesn't care about your dish or your wires after you setup cancellation with them. They only care if you are an active subscriber and have a problem with your dish or wires that causes you to not be able to view their programming. Since that's not the case in this instance then they will not send a tech out to take down your dish or your wires. That's not their problem you only used the PP twice in 5 years, that's your problem for paying for it and not using it. If you felt you weren't getting your monies worth than you should have canceled the PP.

Please remember, YOU have set up a cancellation date with a company and you will no longer be paying them. Why do you think you deserve anything from them at this point? They are only interested in helping customers that are active and have not set up a cancellation.

Take some responsibility for yourself and stop trying to think you deserve something or that "everyone's trying to be cheap". Just because you think everyone is trying to be cheap in this economy makes you think you should be too? WOW

Go ahead and reactivate it and then call up and tell them since you have the PP you want them to send a tech out to take down your dish/wires. The CSR probably needs a good laugh at this time of day.:rolleyes:

Have you seen the economy? Everyone's trying to be cheap.

Last time I checked the service plan covers installing new dishes and wires for repairs, so you're telling me that it doesn't cover the opposite? Now who's being cheap - certainty not me.

Im not gonna pay someone $200 bucks when I've been a D* customer for 5 years with the protection plan for 5 years that I've used maybe twice........I think I deserve them sending a tech out to remove a couple of wires - f the dish leave it up there I just want the wires gone.

Deff not the forums I should post in. Seems like everyone here is defensive about their satellite service.

Why not just go out there and take the danm thing down yourself if you want it down so bad ?

Remember that your service is paid thru the next month.

Go ahead and reactivate it and then call up and tell them since you have the PP you want them to send a tech out to take down your dish/wires. The CSR probably needs a good laugh at this time of day.:rolleyes:

:rolleyes: Back at you. Called D* and they said since I've been a loyal customer for so long with the best plan (basically everything) and a regular ppv buyer - they will send a tech out to remove only the coaxial wires - nothing else.

D* CSR's are the best that I've ever dealt with. They didn't laugh, they didn't do anything but be receptive to my request. They did say that they will not touch the disk or the bolts, but the wires they will deal with.

:rolleyes: Back at you. Called D* and they said since I've been a loyal customer for so long with the best plan (basically everything) and a regular ppv buyer - they will send a tech out to remove only the coaxial wires - nothing else.

D* CSR's are the best that I've ever dealt with. They didn't laugh, they didn't do anything but be receptive to my request. They did say that they will not touch the disk or the bolts, but the wires they will deal with.

I guess there's a first for everything. Of course, the tech isn't there yet.....

What he really means is that he complain and complain and complained some more and it was cheaper to comp a service call then it was to keep agents tied on the line dealing with his mess.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)