Sporting News Unavailable on Chn 100

laman400

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
I just tried to look at the Sporting News link on Channel 100 under the "Sports" link and there is a message posted that says Sporting News is no longer available. I have been using this link almost every day to check for baseball scores, schedules, etc. It was working fine as late as last night. Any info on what has happened? Is this another example of Charlie losing another source due to his failure to reach an agreement with the provider, or is it something else? When will the slow bleeding to death of losing channels end?

I noticed it to. This and the local weather were the only things I found of any use on Dish Home. I called Dish on this. Basically they said the service has been suspended or cancelled with no plans to renew or replace it with another similar service.
As a sports fan who relocated to another city, this was a great way to get instant scores of my favorite teams and all of their rivals. I must say I was somewhat upset by this reduction in service. They did keep the horseracing feature on Dish Home. I guess this will satisfy the 10 to 20 people who watch that.

It's not really that much of a crisis because they now have this thing called the internet (which you are using now). You can use the internet to search for "baseball scores, schedules, etc." In fact, there is an entire website devoted to baseball. It's MLB.com, complete with scores, schedules, and even live broadcasts! And you don't even have to wait for the clunky DISH Home interface to load! If anyone actually switches to another provider because of the loss of The Sporting News on DISH Home, that person would need serious help. If you are that desperate for The Sporting News, go to sportingnews.com and stop calling DISH CSRs to whine about it.

Chad, obviously you are one of those people who live, eat, and sleep next to their computer. Most of the rest of us have a life away from our computers. The whole idea of using this service is for us sports fans who might like to check the scores just before turning the tv off before going to bed, or first thing in the morning before we get our 20 hour fix surfing the net like you seem to do. Noone is whining to the CSR's, all we were doing was to try and get more info as the message suggested on Dish Home this morning. I think it's you who needs to get a life away from the internet.

Chad, obviously you are one of those people who live, eat, and sleep next to their computer. Most of the rest of us have a life away from our computers. The whole idea of using this service is for us sports fans who might like to check the scores just before turning the tv off before going to bed, or first thing in the morning before we get our 20 hour fix surfing the net like you seem to do. Noone is whining to the CSR's, all we were doing was to try and get more info as the message suggested on Dish Home this morning. I think it's you who needs to get a life away from the internet.

Well, no, not quite. I'm just not so lazy that I have to complain about having to get up from my couch to go check scores on the computer.

you just rile everybody up chad,
lay off his concern is valid
we all know you go apesh*t, if chuck took the style channel off!
just kidding
give the original poster a break

Scott, I'll leave it up to the individual user wether this was a viable way to check scores or not. As for me, I found it useful and will miss it if it is gone, but it's certainly not important enough for me to cancel my Dish service as Chad suggests I might do. Is there any chance you can find out what is behind the sudden cancellation of this service from your sources? I think the loss of ANY channel, without any warning, should be of concern to our community. Chad may not miss the Sporting News service, that's his choice, but he should be interested in why it is gone as his favorite channel could be on the chopping block next. Thanks for any info you can provide.

Scott, I'll leave it up to the individual user wether this was a viable way to check scores or not. As for me, I found it useful and will miss it if it is gone, but it's certainly not important enough for me to cancel my Dish service as Chad suggests I might do. Is there any chance you can find out what is behind the sudden cancellation of this service from your sources? I think the loss of ANY channel, without any warning, should be of concern to our community. Chad may not miss the Sporting News service, that's his choice, but he should be interested in why it is gone as his favorite channel could be on the chopping block next. Thanks for any info you can provide.

You didn't lose a channel. The Sporting News on DISH Home was not a channel. Don't start telling people that DISH took a channel off. They didn't. Fox Sports is a channel. ESPN is a channel. Speaking of which, they have lots of sporting information. They even have an all-news channel called ESPNews. And you don't have to get up from your couch.

Good greif, Chad, get a life! Would you be happier if I said we lost a service instead of a channel. You still fail to understand what that service provided that the channels you name don't provide on a demand basis. Maybe your wife can explain the difference to you.

Maybe it's about time to give ESPN a call. I'm sure they'd be happy to... After all, they already provide some mosaic events to E*100 under "ESPN Interactive." (Clickable overlay Bottomline on ESPN 1, 2, News, etc., anyone?)

It's a 50/50 choice for me. On the West Coast, when most of our MLB games end around 10pm+, SportingNews had already cleared their Score Board at Midnight EDT and were all blank, ready for that day's games. You would have to go to the Team Standings page and click-click-click. Personally, MLB.com, ESPN.com and CBS online will do. They are just a click away too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)