NESN HD - letter to CEO

SarKen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 3, 2006
MA
I sent this to the ceo email address. I send one every few weeks and really do not receive a real response. Lets see what happens this time

Dear sir,

I would like an update on NESN HD. Dish Network is the only provider in the New England area the does not have NESN HD. http://www.boston.com/sports/nesn/aboutus/hd/

Could you please let me know if you are planning to add NESN HD and if not why. Not enough space, contracts, money, etc. Please do not leave us in the dark and lose another season of a fine 24/7 HD sports channel. NESN HD has more HD then TNT and A&E combined.

I also have a small story to tell you about how important NESN and RSN in HD are to us. About a week ago I was at a local fast food drive-up and there is an apartment building that has five dishes, four were Dish and one DirecTV across the street. There was an installer taking down on of Dishes and I noticed that the count of dishes are now two Dish Network and three DirecTV.

I parked my car and walked over and talked with the installer, he is an independent installer and not a DirecTV employee. I asked if he know why the switch from Dish Network. He said this was his six one this week and the reason was that people want Network Locals and the Red Sox in HD. They call and I tell them I can install an antenna for them for network locals, but why would they pay me to install an antenna and still not receive the Red Sox games in HD when they can switch at no cost to them.

Please consider adding NESN in HD "very very soon". If not please let me know why so I can consider what to do when my contract is up.

Begging you,
Ken

You probably will not get a reply, or one that does not answer your question the way you would want.

The CEO address does not get you in the CEO's office but to higher level customer support people, who only deal in customer support and dont have anything to do with the programming department.

Also since they are a publiclly held company they just can't tell you whats up in regards to negoations with other companies.

So please don't be disapointed if they don't give you the answer you want.

You probably will not get a reply, or one that does not answer your question the way you would want.

The CEO address does not get you in the CEO's office but to higher level customer support people, who only deal in customer support and dont have anything to do with the programming department.

Also since they are a publiclly held company they just can't tell you whats up in regards to negoations with other companies.

I know I will not really receive a reply. Just makes me feel a little better sending someone an email. You never know, maybe someone will read it an actually stop playing solitaire and pass my message to someone who can help. The chances are very slim, but it is like that old saying “if you do not play the lottery you can win the lottery”.

Ken

After several letters to CEO regarding KCPQ-HD (FOX-Tribune) in Seattle went unanswered I agree with what you are saying Scott. They do respond very well on most issues, but this isn't their ball of wax.

If not CEO, the question is who to contact? I wish there was some avenue that subs from various areas like kdwebsol in New England and those of us here in Seattle and all the other places that have similar issues could speak loudly enough to be heard.

I also sent an email

Kdwebsol,

Interestingly I sent a very similar email to the CEO address just a couple days ago (also has yet to be answered). So similar, in fact, I wonder if they would question whether it came from the same person or if we had talked ahead of time. In any event I don't think it can hurt for anyone interested in getting their regional sports networks in HD to send off emails. It really is hard for me to beleive that we may go through another MLB season without being able to see the Redsox in HD when every other carrier in the area (including DirecTV) offers it.

Eric

Last edited:
I wanted to add Comcast HD again for the RedSox but there are no regular HD non-dvr boxes left in the Boston region. You can only get one if someone elses returns their's.

I guess some new law or FCC demand about future cable boxes having encryption card from Motorolla, and there is a delay in getting theses new boxes out, early May was the last I heard from Comcast in Boston region. :mad:

You need to understand that the way (or even if) Dish responds to customers (including emails) is directly proportional to what the competition is doing and the rate of churn.

I expect with high 4Q profits and "D" not having done much lately, "E" customer service may actually decline even more but if "D" or cable start offering more later this year, then, allowing for the time it usually takes for the obvious to sink in with "E", we may see things get better sometime after that. Otherwise it will be the usual smoke and mirrors.

I had sent an email to the CEO on another issue, but in my email I had mentioned the lack of NESN-HD. To my surprise I got a phone call from Dish Executive offices that evening. I was told that NESN-HD had been planned for first quarter this year, but they ran into some legal issues. They hope to have it up in second quarter this year. Now, the question is, do you believe it? My faith in Dishnetwork has been renewed. They straightened out all my issues and answered all my questions. So I am hopeful this will happen.

JohnR

Dates, quarters, software releases, etc. are all promises that have all come and gone. Until I see NESN HD in my channel guide, I won't believe it.

I had sent an email to the CEO on another issue, but in my email I had mentioned the lack of NESN-HD. To my surprise I got a phone call from Dish Executive offices that evening. I was told that NESN-HD had been planned for first quarter this year, but they ran into some legal issues. They hope to have it up in second quarter this year. Now, the question is, do you believe it? My faith in Dishnetwork has been renewed. They straightened out all my issues and answered all my questions. So I am hopeful this will happen.

JohnR

The "legal issue" is Charlie need to stick a crowbar in his wallet and pay for the HD-RSN's prior to puting them up!

JohnR

I think the Red Sox are part owner of NESN. E* sponsors a NASCAR for a team that is also owned by the same owner of the Red Sox. E* is also going to work with ESPN for the broadcasting of the races in HD.

I would think E* would be working extra hard on getting NESN and RSNs in HD with this kind of exposure on a major sports network like ESPN.

Ken

I think the Red Sox are part owner of NESN. E* sponsors a NASCAR for a team that is also owned by the same owner of the Red Sox. E* is also going to work with ESPN for the broadcasting of the races in HD.

I would think E* would be working extra hard on getting NESN and RSNs in HD with this kind of exposure on a major sports network like ESPN.

Ken
John Henry and Jack Roush just need to get Charlie to ride a few practice laps with Mark Martin when the Dish car makes it's debut. I figure after a lap or two at Talladaga, 'ol Chuck could be ready to sign NESN HD and anything they wanted.:D

John Henry and Jack Roush just need to get Charlie to ride a few practice laps with Mark Martin when the Dish car makes it's debut. I figure after a lap or two at Talladaga, 'ol Chuck could be ready to sign NESN HD and anything they wanted.:D

That would do it!

The Bush car is running all year. Matt Kenseth won with it last week.

Ken

Attachments

• Dish.jpg
    Dish.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 186
I also wrote a letter to NESN and FSN NE asking why their stations are not on HD on E*. I still have not received a reply for E* and NESN but, I did receive one from FSN. Bellow is the reply,

// start email
Hi Ken,

FSN New England is not carried in HD with Dish Network because our contract with them does not include this service. During our last negotiation Dish Network was not interested in providing that additional service at that time.

Please express your interest of getting the Celtics in HD to them in hopes it will be added in the future.

Thanks for your input and being such a loyal FSN New England fan.
Lauren

Contact info removed

// end of email

Sounds like we will not be getting our RSNs in HD :(

Ken

I also wrote a letter to NESN and FSN NE asking why their stations are not on HD on E*. I still have not received a reply for E* and NESN but, I did receive one from FSN. Bellow is the reply,

// start email
Hi Ken,

FSN New England is not carried in HD with Dish Network because our contract with them does not include this service. During our last negotiation Dish Network was not interested in providing that additional service at that time.

Please express your interest of getting the Celtics in HD to them in hopes it will be added in the future.

Lauren

Contact info removed

// end of email

Ken

Shame of you E*.......apparently D* and cable are interested in the HD RSN's.....but E* isnt ?.....:mad: The uplinks of the HD RSN's last fall was probably just a tease so us sports fans would salivate like Pavlov's dogs ;)

Kdwebsol,

I would forward this email to Dish and ask for them to explain. This is very disheartening as I have always figured they were at least negotiating and hadn't come to terms that Dish felt comfortable with. To hear that they are not even entering into talks regarding HD is very concerning,

// start email
Hi Ken,

Lauren

Contact info removed

// end of email

Ken

With all the talk of RSN-HD's starting to show up, I fired off an email to John Henry-Larry Lucchino-Roush Racing yesterday. Told them they need to ask their buddy "CHUCKY E." why no NESN-HD. Hopefully something will happen...and soon! Gotta have my SOX in HD!!!!:hungry:

Whats disapointing to me is that my new IPTV service AT&T UVERSE does not carry NESN in HD.

Its funny that the first ones to get turned on are the Colorado HD networks, which has me to believe that if Dish were in the North East NESN HD would already be on.

Come on Charlie, I know you read us regularly, some come on already and get the deal done (and add YES while your at it)

With all the talk of RSN-HD's starting to show up, I fired off an email to John Henry-Larry Lucchino-Roush Racing yesterday. Told them they need to ask their buddy "CHUCKY E." why no NESN-HD. Hopefully something will happen...and soon! Gotta have my SOX in HD!!!!:hungry:

Let us know if you hear anything. I have also been emailing E* the NESN weekly HD schedule just as a friendly reminder of what we are missing.

This is this weeks.

4/1/07

12:00 AM BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY {HD} (R)
BRUINS IN TWO VS. ATLANTA THRASHERS
5:00 – 9:00 AM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD}
1:00 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
2:30 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
3:00 PM W.B. MASON PRESENTS BRUINS FACE-OFF {HD} (L)
3:30 PM BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY {HD) (L)
BRUINS VS. NEW JERSEY DEVILS
6:00 PM GCE PRESENTS BRUINS OVERTIME {HD} (L)
10:00 PM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD} (L)
11:00 PM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD}
11:30 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} ®

4/2/07

5:00 – 9:00AM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD}
12:00 PM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD}
12:30 PM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD}
2:00 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
2:30 PM RED SOX MONSTER MONDAY {HD} (L)
3:00 PM OLYMPIA SPORTS PRESENTS THE {HD} (L)
BOSTON GLOBE PRE-GAME REPORT
4:00 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (L)
RED SOX VS. KANSAS CITY ROYALS
7:00 PM THE ULTIMATE RED SOX SHOW {HD} (L)
7:30 PM GRANITE CITY EXTRA INNINGS EXTRA {HD} (L)
9:00 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
10:30 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)

4/3/07

12:00 AM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)
RED SOX IN TWO AT KANSAS CITY ROYALS
5:00 -9:00 AM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD}
12:30 PM OLYMPIA SPORTS PRESENTS THE {HD} (R)
1:30 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)
3:30 PM W.B. MASON EXTRA INNINGS {HD} (R)
4:00 PM GRANITE CITY EXTRA INNINGS EXTRA {HD} (R)
6:30 PM THE BUZZ {HD} (DB)
7:00 PM W.B. MASON PRESENTS BRUINS FACE-OFF {HD} (L)
7:30 PM BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY {HD} (L)
BRUINS VS. MONTREAL CANADIENS
10:00 PM GCE PRESENTS BRUINS OVERTIME {HD} (L)
10:30 PM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD} (L)
11:00 PM THE BUZZ {HD} (R)
11:30 PM RUBBER BISCUIT {HD} (R)

4/4/07

12:00 AM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD} (L)
12:30 AM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)
1:00 PM OLYMPIA SPORTS PRESENTS THE {HD} (L)
2:00 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (L)
5:00 PM W.B. MASON EXTRA INNINGS {HD} (L)
5:30 PM GRANITE CITY EXTRA INNINGS EXTRA {HD} (L)
6:00 PM THE BUZZ {HD} (R)
6:30 PM W.B. MASON PRESENTS BRUINS FACE-OFF {HD} (L)
7:00 PM BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY {HD} (L)
BRUINS AT BUFFALO SABRES
9:30 PM GCE PRESENTS BRUINS OVERTIME {HD} (L)
10:30 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)

4/5/07

12:00 AM NESN SPORTSDESK {HD} (L)
12:30 AM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)
BRUINS AT BUFFALO SABRES
10:30 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)

4/6/07

12:30 AM BOSTON BRUINS HOCKEY {HD} (R)
BRUINS IN TWO AT BUFFALO SABRES
RED SOX VS. TEXAS RANGERS
6:00 PM BOSTON GLOBE SPORTSPLUS {HD} (DB)
6:30 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
7:00 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)
RED SOX IN TWO AT TEXAS RANGERS
10:30 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
11:30 PM BOSTON GLOBE SPORTSPLUS {HD} ®

4/7/07

12:00 AM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (R)
RED SOX IN TWO AT TEXAS RANGERS
2:00 PM THE REMY AWARDS: PRE-SEASON EDITION {HD} (R)
4:00 PM THE BUZZ {HD} (R)
6:30 PM RUBBER BISCUIT {HD} (DB)
OTTAWA SENATORS VS. BRUINS
7:00 PM OLYMPIA SPORTS PRESENTS THE {HD} (L)
8:00 PM BOSTON RED SOX BASEBALL {HD} (L)
RED SOX VS. TEXAS RANGERS
11:00 PM W.B. MASON EXTRA INNINGS {HD} (L)
11:30 PM GRANITE CITY EXTRA INNINGS EXTRA {HD} (L)

Sometimes I think Dish likes to look cheap.

Let us know what happens, in fact post the address so we can all fire off emails to them.

This is just plain silly and makes Dish Network look cheesy. They're sponsoring a car for the biggest racing team in Nascar that also happens to own one of the biggest MLB teams in the northeast that also happens to own NESN but all Dish customers have to look elsewhere to get NESN HD and most of Dish customers have to look elsewhere to get the majority of the Nascar races in HD.

My guess is that because NESN HD IS a real HD channel, they're not giving it away and Dish is too cheap.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)