External HD connected to Wally

armyman3

Original poster
May 4, 2023
Fresno, Ca
I have a Wally and purchased a Seagate 1 TB HD from Dish Outdoors, and have paid the $40 activation fee, but can not get it to work. Have tried different usb port. Tech Support doesn’t know what problem is. Any ideas?

I have a Wally and purchased a Seagate 1 TB HD from Dish Outdoors, and have paid the $40 activation fee, but can not get it to work. Have tried different usb port. Tech Support doesn’t know what problem is. Any ideas?
Please be a little more specific. Dish Outdoors? Are you referring to Dish for My RV, or do you mean the Dish Outdoors program at Dish Network?

Does the HD have it's own power supply? Is it a spinning HD and not an SSD? What do you mean by "can not get it to work"? Does the Wally see the HD? Does the Wally format the HD?

Here's something to try, plug it into a Windoze or Mac or Linux machine and format it to just about anything. When you plug it back in, the Wally will see the format and put up a message that the drive needs to be formatted before it can be used. Maybe a glitch in the original formatting.

Is it plug in and powered by a plug into the wall? At one time in the beginning that was the only way you could use an external hard drive with any receiver. I had a smaller hard drive that plugged into the hopper and was powered by the hopper itself, when I still had DISH a few years back. So this might have changed.

Reactions: charlesrshell
The current requirements for an EHD for a Wally:
EHD requirements:

• USB 2.0-compatible cable
  • Single hard disk drive (flash memory is not compatible)
  • EHDs should only be plugged into the USB ports on the back of the receiver. EHDs with external power sources can be used but are not required since the receiver can power the device.
  • Wally: minimum 500 GB, maximum 4 TB