Sports Blackouts, ESPN Alternate

astrossuperfan

Baseball Junkie
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 30, 2004
H-town, Tejas
Can I ask why the alternate channel showing my Astros is blacked out?

I thought the whole point of having these "alternates" was to not have blackouts. Someone please explain this to me.

Also I believe this is the first broadcast of the Astros on Voom, and I can't watch it. :mad: :mad: :mad:

Just out of curiosity - what IS the point of the "alternate channels?" Is it to show other regionally covered games or what? Do they do that for all sports?

Right now, I'm getting two different baseball games on the espn2 & espn2A - which is awesome. Can I expect the same sort of thing for college football and basketball?

deArgila said:
Just out of curiosity - what IS the point of the "alternate channels?" Is it to show other regionally covered games or what? Do they do that for all sports?

Right now, I'm getting two different baseball games on the espn2 & espn2A - which is awesome. Can I expect the same sort of thing for college football and basketball?

As long as your local regional sport network does not air the same game.

Sean Mota said:
As long as your local regional sport network does not air the same game.

Which totally sucks for it to be blacked out on ESPN on Voom since they don't even carry the regional sports networks! It's wrong I tell ya. :yes

FunkyBoss said:
Which totally sucks for it to be blacked out on ESPN on Voom since they don't even carry the regional sports networks! It's wrong I tell ya. :yes

There's nothing that VOOM can do about this. It is a MLB decision or the sport entity. It happens on Dish as well even though they don't carry the "YES" network.

As a side note, I turn to the Yankees vs Angels game last night. I knew that it was going to be blacked out but I turned to it anyway after watching Black Hawk Down. To my surprise it was not but after turning the channel again it became black out. I say darn I should have not changed the channel.