Sports Channels in HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hockeyck

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 8, 2005
Any idea when they will launch MSG, Fox Sports, etc... regional sports channels in HD? Or if they would ever have a hockey package or NBA package in HD like the Superfan NFL?

Thanks

Brian

hockeyck said:
Any idea when they will launch MSG, Fox Sports, etc... regional sports channels in HD? Or if they would ever have a hockey package or NBA package in HD like the Superfan NFL?

Thanks

Brian
Some FSN's are in HD, a recient developement in the last month or so.

Jimbo

1. Be in an area (based on your service zip code) that offers RSN HD

2. Need AT9/5 LNB dish and H20receiver

3. Need proper subscription level; which I assume is anything TC and up.

I know I can get my local RSN, but I want to get all of them. I live in LA and want to see MSG in HD.........

hockeyck said:
I know I can get my local RSN, but I want to get all of them. I live in LA and want to see MSG in HD.........
We would all like that to happen, then the "Sports Pack " would actually be worth it.
Not gonna happen .... I think thats so people will buy the individual packages, MLBEI, NHL C.I. ect.

Jimbo

I am confused by all of this. How come I can be in the RSN's market for SD but not for HD. I am in the Sacramento Area and FSN Bay Area for A's, Giants, and Sharks games have always been viewable. How come when I go to the tools to look up HD programming FSN Bay Area HD is not included?

Is this going to eventually change. Seeing hockey in HD is one of the primary reasons for upgrading. This is disappointing.

packfan909

In another thread explained as looking at it like this; you are really only in the Sacramento area, but are lucky enough to get an extra RSN thanks to the Bay area. These decisions come from the teams/league not your DBS company based on your service zip code. However, they might be OK'ing the SD but not the HD. Right now its anyone's guess and thats all it would be; a guess. Only time and the new sats being up will tell if:

1. We would eventually get all the neighboring LIL and RSN in SD and HD

2. Or eventually only get what our exact DMA says and nothing neighboring.

Either way that wouldn't be a decision made by our DBS providers but by the owners of the programming, the FCC and all their lobby groups such as the NAB. The DBS providers just enforce what they are told to do.

Last edited:
Thank you!

I wasn't sure if this was a distribution issue or a sphere of influence issue. Sounds like we can not determine that as of yet.

packfan909

FSN Bay Area HD in Sacramento LIL

Just following up on a question I posted earlier. I sent a question to Fox Sports in the Bay Area regarding this and got the following response.

-----------------

From what we hear from DirecTV, it is a technical issue on their end which initially only allows them to take our HD games to the immediate Bay Area Zip codes ( 940-941, 943-951, and 954). This has nothing to do with FSN BAY AREA whatsoever. I also have asked if and when they might be adding additional areas and have heard it is not in the near future

-----------------

So if you are outside the immediate area of your market the technology is preventing viewing of the content not the league or the RSN.

PACKFAN909

Just FYI they said the exact same thing in other DMA areas; yet when some customers simply changed their service zip code and never really moved, somehow they WERE able to receive the RSN HD after being told that it was a DirecTV beam (technical issue). Hmm? Now, I am not going to say that everyone's area is like this, but it sure makes much more sense.

charper1 said:
Just FYI they said the exact same thing in other DMA areas; yet when some customers simply changed their service zip code and never really moved, somehow they WERE able to receive the RSN HD after being told that it was a DirecTV beam (technical issue). Hmm? Now, I am not going to say that everyone's area is like this, but it sure makes much more sense.

I asked one of the higher than level 2 techs about that. He said they didn't want to get into problems with people being on the fringe of the spot beams and not having a solid signal.

So I guess until the NHL gets it's act together we will see very little hockey in hd...

roachxp said:
Switch to E* if you want NHL or NBA season pass in HD they are the only ones right now that offer that option.

NHL® CENTER ICE®
NHL® CENTER ICE® let’s you experience this season with the most coverage possible with up to 40 games per week from around the League, including the first two rounds of the Stanley Cup playoffs and select games broadcast in high-definition.

Channels: 540 – 558

Order before October 11, 2006 and save $20.00

Early Bird package: $149.00 or three payments of $49.66 (order before October 11).
Full Season Package: $169.00 or three payments of $56.33.

I see SELECT GAMES will be in HD, thats no different than the NHL CI package from D*

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)