Sportscaster Charlie Jones, 77, dies of heart attack

I always liked Charlie, sorry to see him go ...

Hate to say it, but Charlie is the second broadcaster to die receintly (Jim McKay the other), ya know what they say about going in 3's ...

Jimbo

I always liked Charlie, sorry to see him go ...

Hate to say it, but Charlie is the second broadcaster to die receintly (Jim McKay the other), ya know what they say about going in 3's ...

Jimbo

If you count Tim Russert, there's your 3. He just died today. Although Russert wasn't in sports, he was a TV news journalist/broadcaster as Jim McKay and Charlie Jones.

While I was too young to remember the 'Wide World of Sports' days of old,

I clearly remember Charie Jones. I'm old enough to remember

1987 Fiesta Bowl and other Fiesta Bowls. (4th and goal. National Championship on the Line!)

Countless NFL games (The Drive- Part II).

One of my all-time favorite NFL announcers. Charlie had a very distinctive voice that I will always associate with the AFL/AFC on NBC. R.I.P. Charlie

Last edited:
I saved the old NFL announcer schedules from DBSForums, and I found some significant games that Charlie Jones called.

1983: Bills win first game at Orange Bowl since the 1960s

First playoff game in Seahawks history

1988: Seahawks clinch AFC West division title with a 43-37 shootout win over the L.A. Raiders

Cleveland's thrilling AFC Divisional Playoff win over the Bills in January 1990

1990: In Jerry Glanville's first game as Falcons coach, Atlanta blows out the Oilers

Lots of significant games in 1992:

Undefeated Dolphins lose to Colts; Steve Emtman return INT for TD

Broncos down 19-6 to the Chiefs with less than four minutes left. One guess as to who won the game?

Bill Cowher's first game (and win) as Steelers coach, over the Oilers in Houston

Brett Favre's first start in his legendary ironman streak against the Steelers

1993: Bills/Oilers: Comeback of Comebacks

1993: Bills beat Raiders in HORRIFIC weather conditions

1995: Raiders first game in Oakland since 1981

1995: First win in Carolina Panthers history over the Jets

1995: Final home game for the old Cleveland Browns before they became the Ravens

1996: New York Jets' only win in a 1-15 season

Also, on the college side:

Notre Dame/Florida State 'Game of the Century'

Charlie had a lot of partners through the years: Len Dawson, John Brodie, Todd Christensen, Jimmy Cefalo, and Merlin Olsen to name a few. The Jones/Christensen tandem was one of my favorites (NFL and Fiesta Bowls).

charlie called reds games in the mid 70's. i didn't know that. but then, i didn't know that al michaels called reds games too!

I remember Charlie did PBP for NBC's coverage of the 1986 World Cup, including the infamous Maradona "Hand of God" goal vs England. I was impressed he didn't stumble over names such as Olarticoechea and Burruchaga. I also remember how remorseful he was at Seoul in 1988 when he miscalled the men's 800 meters (I might be mistaken about the exact distance) and gave credit for the victory to the wrong runner. To err is human though and I always enjoyed listening to him, whatever the sport.

Its a shame, sport today is losing a lot of its lustre and becoming more and more crass and joyless and now we are losing those who brought us such wonderful memories during happier times.

I saved the old NFL announcer schedules from DBSForums, and I found some significant games that Charlie Jones called.

1983: Bills win first game at Orange Bowl since the 1960s

First playoff game in Seahawks history

1988: Seahawks clinch AFC West division title with a 43-37 shootout win over the L.A. Raiders

Cleveland's thrilling AFC Divisional Playoff win over the Bills in January 1990

1990: In Jerry Glanville's first game as Falcons coach, Atlanta blows out the Oilers

Lots of significant games in 1992:

Undefeated Dolphins lose to Colts; Steve Emtman return INT for TD

Broncos down 19-6 to the Chiefs with less than four minutes left. One guess as to who won the game?

Bill Cowher's first game (and win) as Steelers coach, over the Oilers in Houston

Brett Favre's first start in his legendary ironman streak against the Steelers

1993: Bills/Oilers: Comeback of Comebacks

1993: Bills beat Raiders in HORRIFIC weather conditions

1995: Raiders first game in Oakland since 1981

1995: First win in Carolina Panthers history over the Jets

1995: Final home game for the old Cleveland Browns before they became the Ravens

1996: New York Jets' only win in a 1-15 season

Also, on the college side:

Notre Dame/Florida State 'Game of the Century'

Didn't he also announce the Kramer-Rashad 'Hail Mary' vs. the Browns that clinched the NFC Central in 1980?