Sportsnet Ny: Will Directv Get In Time

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dave26262

Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Here in the NY area all you here on all the sports talk shows is what providers will or will not have SNY by opening day. Directv appears not to have a deal. can they get it done in time. Will dish network get this network??

Sportnet NY

I wouldn't hold your breath, been waiting for YES Network for four years!! There's no reason why Dish can't offer the chennels ala carte!Charlie is cheap!He's gonna lose customers...

dave26262 said:
Here in the NY area all you here on all the sports talk shows is what providers will or will not have SNY by opening day. Directv appears not to have a deal. can they get it done in time. Will dish network get this network??

According to an article, one day last week, in the New York Post, they said that negotiations are ongoing between D* & SNY, but don't look for it on DISH. But that was last week, and things can change in this business overnight.

dfecarter said:
I wouldn't hold your breath, been waiting for YES Network for four years!! There's no reason why Dish can't offer the chennels ala carte!Charlie is cheap!He's gonna lose customers...
Really? I thought YES wouldn't let them. Dish wanted the channel a la carte and YES could have all the profits. YES refused that offer. Around $1.93 for every dish customer, even the ones that can't legally view it, is that fair?

uroberto said:
Really? I thought YES wouldn't let them. Dish wanted the channel a la carte and YES could have all the profits. YES refused that offer. Around $1.93 for every dish customer, even the ones that can't legally view it, is that fair?

It depends on how you would define fair, I guess. When YES first started a few years ago George wanted it as part of a basic package. Cablevision wanted to charge it as a premium. D carried it at no exrta charge and Cablevision and George went to war. That sold more D systems here in NY than Cablevision could live with and brought them back to the tabe. Somehow George got the blame again. I don't think George has changed his stance on bringing it to you at no extra charge. But yet E wants to charge you more money. And this is still George's fault?:rolleyes:

rockaway1836 said:
It depends on how you would define fair, I guess. When YES first started a few years ago George wanted it as part of a basic package. Cablevision wanted to charge it as a premium. D carried it at no exrta charge and Cablevision and George went to war. That sold more D systems here in NY than Cablevision could live with and brought them back to the tabe. Somehow George got the blame again. I don't think George has changed his stance on bringing it to you at no extra charge. But yet E wants to charge you more money. And this is still George's fault?:rolleyes:
Well if George was giving away the channel, everyone would get it. But he wants around $2/sub per month. Where does the "no extra charge" come in? :rolleyes: George wants YES (and the Mets want SNY) in the basic package. Neither will agree to be a premium or a-la-carte service, because they don't make as much money that way.

dfecarter said:
Charlie offerred to sell YES a-la-carte, George refused. He wanted YES in a basic package or nothing.

jrbdmb said:
Well if George was giving away the channel, everyone would get it. But he wants around $2/sub per month. Where does the "no extra charge" come in? :rolleyes: George wants YES (and the Mets want SNY) in the basic package. Neither will agree to be a premium or a-la-carte service, because they don't make as much money that way.
The no extra chare comes in when I got YES and my bill didn't go up.

According to a breaking news item on the Newsday website, Cablevision has just inked a deal with SNY. They should be carrying the spring training game tonight:

http://www.newsday.com/sports/baseball/mets/ny-spsny0324,0,6648021.story?coll=ny-sports-headlines

The end of the article does state that D* and E* are next up on the agenda for SNY, with D* being the more likely because E* doesn't even carry YES yet.

As for carrying SNY a la carte, if I remember correctly, Cablevision and YES went to court over the issue and YES won the right to be carried on a basic expanded tier. This is what broke their stalemate and most likely curtailed any attempt by Cablevision to try the same tactic with SNY. I think D* would run into similar issues. Plus, it might look funny for them to push for a la carte with some programming while at the same time fighting the FCC's recent statement that channel providers should allow their customers to buy ALL programming a la carte. Could be a slippery slope for them.

Last edited:
Cablevision, SNY reach agreement

Cablevision and SportsNet New York announced a long-term agreement to provide SNY to Cablevision customers. The new network will be added to Cablevision’s Family Cable level of service Thursday in time for the Mets game vs. the Marlins. More >

Hope D gets with the program and soon.

Just got off the phone with D* CSR...I asked when this channel will be available..He told me that it will probably be done by the day before opening day, so April 2, which is Sunday. I asked if it could happen sooner, he said it could, but not likely. Also said that it will be placed on channel 625.

As long as I know we'll have, I can relax...and since I will be at opening day, then anytime after that works for me.

Hope this helps alleviate some fears....

Plywodstatebum said:
I'd say 90% of the D* Subs could care less about NY Sports.

It is always nice for us sports junkies to have another RSN, to view the local sports shows on. Bring on SNY.

My neighbor is dumping his Brighthouse Cable and subscribing to D*, just to get his beloved Met's RSN. He knows he won't get the games on SNY through the sports package. But is going to subscribe to the RSN Sports package, and also Extra Innings, to see the games.

lou_do said:
It is always nice for us sports junkies to have another RSN, to view the local sports shows on. Bring on SNY.

My neighbor is dumping his Brighthouse Cable and subscribing to D*, just to get his beloved Met's RSN. He knows he won't get the games on SNY through the sports package. But is going to subscribe to the RSN Sports package, and also Extra Innings, to see the games.
kinda dumb D* doesnt carry SNY yet

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)