Spotbeam choice - any ideas?

Alan1

Original poster
Apr 3, 2015
Pennsylvania
Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone has a clever solution to my problem.

Background: For many years I owned a home in southwestern VA and another is northeast PA. The spotbeam (probably 110°W SB05) covered both areas so I could transport my receiver between them without bothering to call DISH and request a change of locals. I didn't mind that my locals were from 400 miles away when I was in the other home. No big deal.

Problem: I recently sold my PA home and bought another about 200mi west to Pittsburgh. I suspect I'm on 110°W, SB09 now which no longer reaches my other home. I'm in a position of having to call DISH every time I shift between houses (about once each month). I'd rather not do that for a couple reasons. I've considered getting an OTA module but my HOA doesn't allow VHF antennas (the OTARD rule only applies to dishes - under 39") so I'd have to put it in the attic which would probably degrade the signal too much.

Possibility: I have noticed that 61.5°W, SB30 reaches my other home (half way between the white & green boundries) so it may work at both homes. Is there a way to switch? Do I have to re-aim my dish toward a different direction? Is there a chance I can schmooze DISH to make the changes on their end? Or is this just a really bad idea?

I welcome any ideas or comments. Thank You.

Alan

OTARD applies to antennas too
You are protected up to 12 feet above the roofline (as long as you have a private area to mount it)

A: The rule applies to the following types of antennas:

(3) An antenna that is designed to receive local television broadcast signals.

In addition, antennas covered by the rule may be mounted on "masts" to reach the height needed to receive or transmit an acceptable quality signal (e.g. maintain line-of-sight contact with the transmitter or view the satellite). Masts higher than 12 feet above the roofline may be subject to local permitting requirements for safety purposes. Further, masts that extend beyond an exclusive use area may not be covered by this rule.

Possibility: I have noticed that 61.5°W, SB30 reaches my other home (half way between the white & green boundries) so it may work at both homes. Is there a way to switch? Do I have to re-aim my dish toward a different direction? Is there a chance I can schmooze DISH to make the changes on their end? Or is this just a really bad idea?
Your locals are on both arcs?

Just point the new home to EA and leave the current home on WA. You'll need to run a check switch each time you relocate but there is no need to involve Dish.

Also, you don't mention receiver models. You will need HD equipment for EA.

It looks like SB05 might just reach your house in Pittsburgh. Have you tried leaving your service address on your Virginia address to see if you still get VA locals in Pittsburgh? Or are you trying to do the opposite (keep Pittsburgh locals?)

When I was on the Western arc, I used an old Primestar 1 meter dish and DP lnb to successfully pick up a spotbeam that I was 50 miles out of the range for.

So, perhaps that could be a solution if that spotbeam for you is within or around that distance. Be aware that due to trees, I was using separate dishes at that time for EACH satellite, so as to focus the best signal on only one per dish.

Are you sure the new locals are on VHF? Check the TVFOOL website to see if they aren't UHF.

When I was on the Western arc, I used an old Primestar 1 meter dish and DP lnb to successfully pick up a spotbeam that I was 50 miles out of the range for.

So, perhaps that could be a solution if that spotbeam for you is within or around that distance. Be aware that due to trees, I was using separate dishes at that time for EACH satellite, so as to focus the best signal on only one per dish.

That would be a possible solution depending if there was enough signal to make it work.

I don't believe you didn't think to test the signal before you bought the other property 200 miles away

I am having a similar problem. I need to see a map for Arkansas. I am currently getting Louisiana locals and should be getting Arkansas. Please advise.

Your question isn't what the OP is asking, but who says you are supposed to get Arkansas locals? What you get for locals is not dependant on what State you live in. (With rare exception) Magnolia Arkansas as one example gets Shreveport LA. You can check online at the DISH site to see what you are supposed to get.
http://www.dish.com/local-channels/

I've considered getting an OTA module but my HOA doesn't allow VHF antennas (the OTARD rule only applies to dishes - under 39") so I'd have to put it in the attic which would probably degrade the signal too much.

I welcome any ideas or comments. Thank You.

Alan
JM42 answered some of what I would have. And Iceberg mentioned an OTA antenna is indeed covered under OTARD.
If the association specifically does not allow an OTA antenna, do they have a master antenna? There are complexes in Florida that prohibit them only because they made OTA available to everyone.
An antenna in the attic will usually have minimal signal loss compared to the same height outside. Aluminum siding or a metal roof could affect it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts