Spotbeam locals on the fringe

rwcmick

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2005
My wife and I use our RV quite a bit and have up until now used distant locals when travelling to Oregon. Now that the distants have gone away, I have two options as I see it: I can get the waiver and pay the $ to NPS or I can spend a few bucks on an experiment...

Here's my proposal:

The SF locals, my hometown, are received during the summer months at the campgrounds we normally stay it in Oregon, but in the winter I can't get the SF locals. My buddy has an old 36" dish that he's willing to give me, so I though I'd buy an I adaptor, another dishpro lnbf and a dp21 switch.

Shouldn't the larger dish optimized for one satellite pull in the spotbeam during th winter months? I'll use my old 500 dish for the other satellite and then link them back to my 301.

Does this make sense or should I go with another LNB that has a larger feedhorn optimized for the bigger dish?

My wife and I use our RV quite a bit and have up until now used distant locals when travelling to Oregon. Now that the distants have gone away, I have two options as I see it: I can get the waiver and pay the $ to NPS or I can spend a few bucks on an experiment...

Here's my proposal:

The SF locals, my hometown, are received during the summer months at the campgrounds we normally stay it in Oregon, but in the winter I can't get the SF locals. My buddy has an old 36" dish that he's willing to give me, so I though I'd buy an I adaptor, another dishpro lnbf and a dp21 switch.

Shouldn't the larger dish optimized for one satellite pull in the spotbeam during th winter months? I'll use my old 500 dish for the other satellite and then link them back to my 301.

Does this make sense or should I go with another LNB that has a larger feedhorn optimized for the bigger dish?

Where is your campground up here? The reason i asked the SF and Sacramento spots work up here if you don't go to far North. Let me know where you are going and i will help you.

thanks

Where is your campground up here? The reason i asked the SF and Sacramento spots work up here if you don't go to far North. Let me know where you are going and i will help you.

we camp near eugene. the sf locals work great in the summer, but in the winter it just isn't happening. since it does work in the summer i figured a bigger dish might pull it in in the winter?

it's not a huge deal as we don't camp that many days, but it is nice to have the option of watching our shows on the road.

we camp near eugene. the sf locals work great in the summer, but in the winter it just isn't happening. since it does work in the summer i figured a bigger dish might pull it in in the winter?

it's not a huge deal as we don't camp that many days, but it is nice to have the option of watching our shows on the road.

Yea thats kinda far for those spots i would try a bigger dish.

Frankly, I'm not sure what would cause the signal to be less during the winter. In fact, usually a cold, clear day or night actually increases signal strength a few points over a hot, clear day.

If you are referring to weather , then that can happen in any season - in fact, I've lost signal more often in May or June than any other months...

Here's my proposal:

Nope, the footprint of the spot beam is what it is..You could use a c-band dish and it wouldn't make a difference

If the signal is fringe to begin with, cloud cover would drop the signal to unusable.
In Oregon summer the weather is generally clear which would bring the signal up over the usual threshold.

A larger dish could help if it's just a small drop in signal from cloud cover. It really just depends on how far the signal strength does dip.

A blanket no it won't work isn't necessarily the right answer.

Talking about a bigger dish
If I put a Dishtv LNB on my 10 foot dish in NYC ,how far West can I get before I lose the Beam lol..........(I am on the beam loll}Just wondering how far yea can get with a big satellite dish instead of a small one....Jt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)