spotify is asking for your help with something

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Fill up your computer hard drive 100% and see if it runs "just the same" as when it is only 10% full.

Fill up your computer hard drive 100% and see if it runs "just the same" as when it is only 10% full.

That is different, and is related to the way Windows handles memory and swap files. Your Hopper isn't running Windows, and adding Spotify isn't going to fill up the storage of your Hopper.

That is different, and is related to the way Windows handles memory and swap files. Your Hopper isn't running Windows, and adding Spotify isn't going to fill up the storage of your Hopper.
Joe, I don't think you are going to get any traction here.

Reactions: osu1991
I do not think he is talking about just spotify. I think he is referencing All the apps that are frequently thought as what will improve the system, and considering how much Dish already allocates for their stuff, I'd have to agree. We would be looking at a 3TB hard drive, just to get 2 TB of use. That is being an optimist. As far as the software they are running, Not sure any of us know any more than it is a Linux based code.

Apps aren't going to use much hard drive space at all. Just look at the current apps anyway - they're pretty damn simple. Plus, when they're developed specifically for a certain piece of hardware, they don't need a lot of extra code to handle different hardware.

Also, why not make it possible to add/remove apps ? I use (1) app - GameFinder. I have no need for the others.

very good question there should be someway somehow where you can add apps maybe a app store.

Apps aren't going to use much hard drive space at all. Just look at the current apps anyway - they're pretty damn simple. Plus, when they're developed specifically for a certain piece of hardware, they don't need a lot of extra code to handle different hardware.

Also, why not make it possible to add/remove apps ? I use (1) app - GameFinder. I have no need for the others.
I can agree with this, but let's consider who we are talking about. This is never been done on Dish or DTV, and doesn't look like they'll start now.

Storage space on the box is not the same thing as memory or RAM.
Maybe you aren't as informed as you know you are.
If you have a 5 TB hard drive, it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 3 TB of stuff on it, your computer will run just the same.
But what if that mass storage is only 1GB? Without having to annex the hard drive, I believe that's just about all the mass storage a DVR has.
What impacts performance more than anything is RAM, which is totally and completely separate from hard drive/firmware/prom/storage space. Only programs that are running take up RAM, so if you never once in your life launch the spotify app, you will never have a byte of data from Spotify occupy the RAM of your Hopper.
This is oversimplified. Any program that you might run needs to have hooks into the menu system to be able to be run. It is folly to assume that everything is run off of mass storage. Much of it must be loaded into RAM before it can be run. Putting stuff on the hard drive adds to its responsibilities.

You're ignoring that a DVR is first and foremost a DVR so that stuff is always running and consuming all manner of different resources to maintain its guide, schedule and process updates.

I ran into this last night as my Google Nexus 7 (2013) ran out of space for the first time last night. I had to delete a few 100+MB applications to make room for the one I wanted to load. I was shocked at how large the packages were. The Android Spotify app package is 21MB. By comparison, the Netflix app package for Android is just over 15MB.

Your view of the system is from the viewpoint of someone who has chosen to ignore, for simplicity's sake, much of what must be going on to support a DVR.

And yes, my Google Nexus has more general purpose processing power than the Hopper and most of what it does in the background is periodically check to see if I have any new e-mails.

Reactions: KAB
Dish/echostar should develop a stand alone media device like a Roku/AppleTV and house all the Hoppers apps on it. Give it hdmi pass through ability so that the user can use it with the Hopper on the same input.

This way those subs who want the extra apps/features can have them and the coders/engineers at dish don't have to spend extra time debugging an app that keeps your DVR from working.

And call it the Koala. ;)
Dish & EchoStar have that they have the Slingbox 500 in the Slingbox 500 already has HDMI pass through

Dish & EchoStar have that they have the Slingbox 500 in the Slingbox 500 already has HDMI pass through
Off topic, you are aware your avatar/photo may cause neck, back and spine injuries? Are you really that far LEFT (or stage RIGHT)?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dudleydog73
How is adding an app to the Hopper a bad thing? If you don't want to use it, don't use it. Adding apps doesn't "bog down" the Hopper. If you never opened it you'd never know it was there.
Umm...Apps are comprised of data. Data takes up memory space.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)