Springfield, MA ABC FOX locals

mkstg1985

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 15, 2010
Springfield MA
I haven't been on here in a while but are ABC and FOX back on Dish Network for Springfield MA. Last time I was on here they were taken off. Sorry if this has already been discussed.

According to SatelliteGuys.US - Subscription 77°W, no they are no longer available. There was rumors when Springfield channels were first offered Dish did not have agreements with all four stations for HD - though most thought the issue would be with WWLP. On a related note, rumor has it that WGGB is poising itself to offer local news in HD some time before the end of the year.

Does anyone know the real issue? Although I know the station has made a number of purchases to get ready for their HD studios (so they may be a bit cash strapped), I have not heard a signal instance in which WGGB has failed to reach retrans consent with a provider. (Unlike the big WWLP -TW fight a year or so ago.) This is locally owned, so it is not like other stations are in the way of retrans for WGGB. Puzzling

I guess I fall into that category of a Dish subscriber who had the full slate of local network channels (all in HD except CBS) for a couple of weeks, before they pulled the plug half way through the Celtics-Lakers game. I halfheartedly looked at the channel lineup guide on the dish website, and found a selection of network channels in the 70-79 range when pulling up the listings for my zip code. Of course, however, when I actually tried those channels on my receiver, they weren't there.

Just seemed odd that they would appear, despite not showing up when I searched for "local channels" on the dish site (only CBS, NBC, PBS). I'm guessing this isn't reason to get enthusiastic about the return of Fox and ABC, but figured I'd see if anyone else wanted to take a stab at why they're showing up on the zip-code specific listings?

I've received the following response on June 28th from the WGGB Assignment desk.

"We have gotten numerous e-mails and calls out this issue.

Our engineers have looked into the issue and determined that it is an issue with DISH, not on our end. Our signal is currently being carried by Comcast, Charter, Cox, and DIRECTV. As frustrating as it may be, the only thing we can suggest is getting in touch with DISH about this issue. Ultimately, it's a problem on their end.…"

I've called Dish... they say soon...
Keep calling Dish, if enough of us bug them they may speed it up...
Still waiting...................

Thanks for the update...ultimately, it seems pretty lousy that they'd entice people into committing to 2 years of service under the allusion of getting the full set of local channels, only to pull two of them a few weeks in.

I'm guessing that I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I used this as a rationale for canceling my contract and not paying the penalty fees?

Thanks for the update...ultimately, it seems pretty lousy that they'd entice people into committing to 2 years of service under the allusion of getting the full set of local channels, only to pull two of them a few weeks in.

I'm guessing that I wouldn't have a leg to stand on if I used this as a rationale for canceling my contract and not paying the penalty fees?

Nope, unfortunately the contract states they can drop channels at anytime... :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)