Sprint: Samsung Epic 4G or HTC EVO 4G?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would go with the EVO, its gives you a lot of other services including live TV from Sprint TV included, plus NASCAR and NFL as well which are not available on other phones.

In addition the EVO can act as a hotspot for 4 devices for free, other phones they charge you extra to enable the hotspot feature.

I recall the Epic having all the TV, NASCAP and NFL as the EVO. Regardless, that's not something which hold much weight with me...especially since I will be a SERO upgrader and may have eligible for those services at no cost. Also, while the hotspot for 4 devices would be nice (especially since I'll be using it in a 4G area), I only need it work with one (1) device, which I was told it would at no charge. Perhaps I'll have to ask about this one. I like both phones but I am leading toward the Epic since it has a pull-out keyboard. However, the free hotspot option is a must.

I would go with the EVO, its gives you a lot of other services including live TV from Sprint TV included, plus NASCAR and NFL as well which are not available on other phones.

The Epic should also have these apps installed. The website shows it has Sprint TV but does not show Nascar or NFL right now. Not sure why these would not be included also.

In addition the EVO can act as a hotspot for 4 devices for free, other phones they charge you extra to enable the hotspot feature.

Only way you can use the hotspot for free is to root your phone and install a different application. The EVO has an extra fee to activate the hotspot feature.

The Epic should also have these apps installed. The website shows it has Sprint TV but does not show Nascar or NFL right now. Not sure why these would not be included also.
After thinking about it...I am 100% sure these were included. A good question is since I'll be adding 4G to my existing SERO Plan (for a total of $50) I doubt it would include TV, GPS and some other services since those are in the $69.99 plan ($59.99 Everything Data Plus Referal and $10 for 4G). I doubt Sprint would move me in to this plan for only $50 when they are charging everyone else $69.99. Personally, I don't need GPS or TV.

Only way you can use the hotspot for free is to root your phone and install a different application. The EVO has an extra fee to activate the hotspot feature.
I thought the "hotsport" came free-of-charge by paying $20 extra per months for 4G?

After thinking about it...I am 100% sure these were included. A good question is since I'll be adding 4G to my existing SERO Plan (for a total of $50) I doubt it would include TV, GPS and some other services since those are in the $69.99 plan ($59.99 Everything Data Plus Referal and $10 for 4G). I doubt Sprint would move me in to this plan for only $50 when they are charging everyone else $69.99. Personally, I don't need GPS or TV.

I thought the "hotsport" came free-of-charge by paying $20 extra per months for 4G?

I had the everything data plan with the EVO and was not able to use the Hotspot without paying the extra fee.

Sprint does not have NFL anymore. Verizon now has it.

As for EVO vs. Epic. The biggest difference is the slide-out keyboard. And even if you aren't a big texter, you will use it for many other things. I have the Samsung Moment and I love the keyboard.

You should be happy with either phone. I have not played with the Epic yet but the EVO was a very nice phone.

The other thing that you have not discussed is that the Epic has the Hummingbird processor in it and is supposed to be better than the Snapdragon that is in the EVO.

They still have a NFL application. It is not the same as before but there is still an app.

The one they had last year enabled you to get audio for every game and also get the NFL Network, but the new one doesn't include those.

On a side note, Samsung gave me excellent customer support then an old HDTV crapped-out a month after warranty - they replaced it free of charge. Conversely, I didn't really care for HTC's web support but my Mogul survived three years of being tossed in the Rich Rodriguez era and my wife hasn't had too many problems with her Touch. Hmmm...

i was told when i got my evo in june, it could enable up to 8 devices and there was a 30 dollar a month charge. when did that change?

plus, i don't think sprint has the nfl anymore as verizon has been advertising getting nfl network and the thursday night games.

you are going tp pay 10 extra a month for 4g whether you have it or not. and last i heard, it was still 30 a month to activate the hotspot on the evo.

btw, i've had mine since it came out in june and i'm not crazy about it. having boatsloads of problems. in fact, i need to swing by the sprint repair center and have them take a look.

I have the HTC Evo and love it. I don't live in a 4g area but still love the phone nonetheless. Yes, you do have to pay an extra $30 on either phone to activate the mobile hotspot. Both phones have that capability. Both phones have a 1ghz processor. The Evo has a 8 megapixel camera and 8gb included memory and froyo 2.2 operating system as well as a micro HDMI output. The Epic has 16gb of memory included, a 5 megapixel camera and 2.1 operating system. The epic does not have an HDMI output, it does have DMNA which the epic does not.

Also the epic has a 4 inch screen where the evo has a 4.3. And yes, the epic does have a slideout keyboard which could be nice.

Both have Wifi capablities as well. The epic is supposedly coming out with media thing where you can rent or purchase movies through your phone.

I went with the EVO for because I wanted the HDMI output mainly. It's a wonderful phone. Truthfully either way you go you will probably be happy, it's a matter of preference. Not sure about the epic, but it you do go with the HTC my only complaint, (which is a standard complaint from about everyone) is it is a battery hog. Buy a car adapter and keep a charger handy because it sucks the battery down pretty fast compared to any other phone I have.