Sprint: Samsung Epic 4G or HTC EVO 4G?

Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How's the GPS work on the Epic in different apps? I heard some rumors that it doesn't work to well.

I don't like it, but I didn't like it on my older Sprint phone either.
Since then I bought a Garmin 1490T.

I think the Sprint GPS software needs a major change, it's to hard to get around the thing.

Actually, I'm just starting to play with it.

Still looking for the correct dish pointing software that shows where the sats are.

I see Dish Pointer Pro available for about $ 20 but don't want to buy it till I know it's the one most are using.

I bought it but I made a family member reimburse me for the cost because they broke one of my inclinometers.

Its pretty good

It is true, you cannot capture a picture with the Dishpointer app. It is a really really good app though. I use it practically daily and have put in dishes using it that I never would have with my inclinometer. Just be a bit careful, it does rely on your phones GPS and can take awhile to lock sometimes. They show you in a video how to move your phone in a figure 8 motion to help acquire the GPS sats. I always use a compass to verify direction and then in the Dishpointer app shows the same thing I know I'm good. There are times it's way off until it locks, but there isn't anything on the app to let you know if it's locked or not. Also a good key to knowing if it's got a good lock is when you move the phone, if the satellites in the sky move around with you a lot then you know it's not locked.

All in all for the $18 and some change it cost me it's a really good app. Once you get a good read it's really accurate, but no, there is in picture taking capability.

Digiblur, I went with the HTC for it's features after weighing all the options, but a slideout keyboard would have been great. I suck at trying to type on the HTC and it's a fairly good sized screen. Dang fat fingers! Had a BB before that and even with it's smaller keyboard could type quite well.

It is true, you cannot capture a picture with the Dishpointer app. It is a really really good app though. I use it practically daily and have put in dishes using it that I never would have with my inclinometer. Just be a bit careful, it does rely on your phones GPS and can take awhile to lock sometimes. They show you in a video how to move your phone in a figure 8 motion to help acquire the GPS sats. I always use a compass to verify direction and then in the Dishpointer app shows the same thing I know I'm good. There are times it's way off until it locks, but there isn't anything on the app to let you know if it's locked or not. Also a good key to knowing if it's got a good lock is when you move the phone, if the satellites in the sky move around with you a lot then you know it's not locked.

All in all for the $18 and some change it cost me it's a really good app. Once you get a good read it's really accurate, but no, there is in picture taking capability.

Digiblur, I went with the HTC for it's features after weighing all the options, but a slideout keyboard would have been great. I suck at trying to type on the HTC and it's a fairly good sized screen. Dang fat fingers! Had a BB before that and even with it's smaller keyboard could type quite well.

I use the slide out keyboard and like it very well, however, does your phone have Swype available to you, you might find that easier to use with the virtual keyboard, some do some don't ....

I will probably d/l the Dish Pointer Pro, once I get back to work, thats when I would really like to have it.... I have subs all the time that want D* , but don't think they have a LOS, so with this I can tell them.

I don't like it, but I didn't like it on my older Sprint phone either.
Since then I bought a Garmin 1490T.

I think the Sprint GPS software needs a major change, it's to hard to get around the thing.

I was talking about the GPS on the phone itself, not the Sprint GPS software.. I didn't like it either. I do have the Garmin software on WinMo right now though.

How well does the GPS work in like Google maps, Glympse, etc?

I use the slide out keyboard and like it very well, however, does your phone have Swype available to you, you might find that easier to use with the virtual keyboard, some do some don't ....

I have played with swype and others. But the only time I use the on screen are for short yes and no text messages. Other than that I hate it.

riffjim4069 said:
So far three people at work told me to go with the EVO because it has Android 2.2 vice 2.1 currently on the Epic. This isn't a big issue since, I'm sure, the Epic will be upgraded in the near future.

I saw a article saying the epic will get 2.2 this month. Since you are waiting until October you should be fine.

I was talking about the GPS on the phone itself, not the Sprint GPS software.. I didn't like it either. I do have the Garmin software on WinMo right now though.

How well does the GPS work in like Google maps, Glympse, etc?

I haven't tried it yet, we'll have to give it a try.

How's the GPS work on the Epic in different apps? I heard some rumors that it doesn't work to well.

The Galaxy S series has a problem with GPS locks.

Mine locks but it slow and accuracy is questionable but I don't use a GPS on my phone out side of Foursquare

Yeah EVO is what I would go with by far. Samsung to me their hardware never been really that good. HTC makes really good devices one of the best out there right now.

I can only speak for the EVO. My dad has one (sadly) and it definitely is a beast of a smartphone. I think it comes down to Screen Size & Sense vs. Super AMOLED & Hard Keyboard. My vote is go to a Sprint store and just see which one suits you better. For a while I was dead-set on getting a Droid because of the hard keyboard, but once I went to the store and actually tried it I found the KB to be incredibly lacking and I ended up just using a touchscreen with my Nexus One.

If it's any consolation, neither one is a bad decision.

I can only speak for the EVO. My dad has one (sadly) and it definitely is a beast of a smartphone. I think it comes down to Screen Size & Sense vs. Super AMOLED & Hard Keyboard. My vote is go to a Sprint store and just see which one suits you better. For a while I was dead-set on getting a Droid because of the hard keyboard, but once I went to the store and actually tried it I found the KB to be incredibly lacking and I ended up just using a touchscreen with my Nexus One.

If it's any consolation, neither one is a bad decision.

Check out the Epic keyboard, you may be pleasantly surprised. :)

The Galaxy S series has a problem with GPS locks.

Mine locks but it slow and accuracy is questionable but I don't use a GPS on my phone out side of Foursquare

I use googlemaps a good bit for traffic in the morning, works very well in this area for accidents and traffic loading. So I really curious how well it tracks in googlemaps.

I use googlemaps a good bit for traffic in the morning, works very well in this area for accidents and traffic loading. So I really curious how well it tracks in googlemaps.

Than you won't to stay away from any Galaxy-S phone until the update is released.

I stopped by a Sprint-owned store after work today and played with both phones for probably 40-minutes. Offhand, I loved the solid-state feel of the EVO, and I felt the UI was superior to the Epic. However, the Epic was certainly no slouch in any areas. Regardless, the Epic's AMOLED screen was visually superior to the EVO and the slide-out keyboard was pleasantly "as good as they make 'em." As much as I loved the AMOLED screen, the EVO was no slouch and it's superior feel/UI placed it in the lead IMO. While I am not a "huge" texter, I've had a Mogul the past 3-years and clearly love using the slide-out keypad...and the Epic keypad was a joy to use. But, like I said, I am not a huge texter and would only input small amounts of data. With that said, I abolutely hated using the EVOs virtual keyboard. I'm not saying it's terrible, but after having used a slide-out keyboard on my Mogul the past 3-years...well, OK, it's terrible.

Overall, I surprised how easily I dismissed the Epic's AMOLED screen in favor of the look and feel of the EVO...and it's inferior display did not bothter me one bit. However, I was surprised at how much the EVO's virtual keyboard did bother me. In my case, after playing with both phones for the better part of an hour I find that I overall prefer the EVO, but I am just not sure if I can live without a slide-out keypad. Again, I am surprised at how much this factoid bothered me. On a positive note, I have access to a co-workers EVO and he agreed to let me use it during work hours. I guess that I have two weeks to become "comfortable" (not necessarily happy) with the EVO's virtual keyboard. If that happens then I'll get the EVO. If not, then I'll pick-up an Epic.

Bottom Line: I want a Touch Pro 2-like EVO with a slide-out keyboard!!!:) Additionally, the Sprint-owned (not an authorized retailer/reseller) store confirmed that I can upgrade to a SERO Premium account in-store on the 1st of October.

I stopped by a Sprint-owned store after work today and played with both phones for probably 40-minutes. Offhand, I loved the solid-state feel of the EVO, and I felt the UI was superior to the Epic. However, the Epic was certainly no slouch in any areas. Regardless, the Epic's AMOLED screen was visually superior to the EVO and the slide-out keyboard was pleasantly "as good as they make 'em." As much as I loved the AMOLED screen, the EVO was no slouch and it's superior feel/UI placed it in the lead IMO. While I am not a "huge" texter, I've had a Mogul the past 3-years and clearly love using the slide-out keypad...and the Epic keypad was a joy to use. But, like I said, I am not a huge texter and would only input small amounts of data. With that said, I abolutely hated using the EVOs virtual keyboard. I'm not saying it's terrible, but after having used a slide-out keyboard on my Mogul the past 3-years...well, OK, it's terrible.

Overall, I surprised how easily I dismissed the Epic's AMOLED screen in favor of the look and feel of the EVO...and it's inferior display did not bothter me one bit. However, I was surprised at how much the EVO's virtual keyboard did bother me. In my case, after playing with both phones for the better part of an hour I find that I overall prefer the EVO, but I am just not sure if I can live without a slide-out keypad. Again, I am surprised at how much this factoid bothered me. On a positive note, I have access to a co-workers EVO and he agreed to let me use it during work hours. I guess that I have two weeks to become "comfortable" (not necessarily happy) with the EVO's virtual keyboard. If that happens then I'll get the EVO. If not, then I'll pick-up an Epic.

Bottom Line: I want a Touch Pro 2-like EVO with a slide-out keyboard!!!:) Additionally, the Sprint-owned (not an authorized retailer/reseller) store confirmed that I can upgrade to a SERO Premium account in-store on the 1st of October.

I was in the same boat, a friend has the EVO and likes it, had a hard time using the virtual keyboard, so I started looking around for her at something that would be comparable with a slide out keyboard, that would be the EPIC, which was not available at the time, she got swype on the EVO and likes the keyboard better now, at least she can tolorate it.
She even went and reserved a EPIC for when they came in, she eventually decided to keep the EVO as her exchange period had passed so she would have to pay full price for the EPIC now.
I ended up liking the phone alot and bought the Epic after Ihad done the research on it.

Only thing I don't like is the fact that my phone bill went from $60 to $90, due to going from a normal phone to a Smart Phone and you get stuck paying the extra $10 for the 4 G stuff that isn't even here.

I could have sworn I typed that message...lol... I love the TP2s keyboard. The Mogul was good for its time but now that I see it...its horrible.

The EVO would be perfect if they slapped a TP2 keyboard on it. It would be the best phone ever.

I played with the Epic's keyboard...its ok.. I am sure I could get use to it. I hate every type of virtual keybaord I have tried. I cant go back...had keyboards for almost 10 yrs and cant go back. I had the first RIM device..before they were blackberries on the Motient network :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts