Sprint: Samsung Epic 4G or HTC EVO 4G?

Which Sprint 4G phone would you select?

• Samsung Epic 4G

Votes: 11 34.4%
  • HTC EVO 4G

Votes: 21 65.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I could have sworn I typed that message...lol... I love the TP2s keyboard. The Mogul was good for its time but now that I see it...its horrible.

The EVO would be perfect if they slapped a TP2 keyboard on it. It would be the best phone ever.

I played with the Epic's keyboard...its ok.. I am sure I could get use to it. I hate every type of virtual keybaord I have tried. I cant go back...had keyboards for almost 10 yrs and cant go back. I had the first RIM device..before they were blackberries on the Motient network :)

It seems kinda different to me at first (Epic keyboard), but only took a few days to get comfortable with it, I found that the lay out of some keys are better placed than my previous keyboard.

You'll find that you use the keyboard more than you think you might.

Check out the Epic keyboard, you may be pleasantly surprised. :)
I'm not jumping to Sprint for a while, and also a hard keyboard isn't worth $50 extra in my book when I can type faster with Swype. Like I said, it comes down to personal preference.

Swype my arse!

OK, I played with the Samsung Epic for about 20-minutes at the Sprint Store yesterday evening. My objective was to use Swype to see if it would serve an an acceptable alternative to a physical keyboard. It took a few minutes to get used to, but I am a good speller and quickly found myself inputting at a respectable rate. Although I still prefer the physical keyboard (been using one for years), the bottom line is that if I felt comfortable with Swype after 20-minutes then it will certainly serve its purpose. Plus, as mentioned, I am not a huge texter.

I wish this were the end of the story...however, I had to use Swype on the Epic since it comes installed with this phone and it's not loaded on the EVO. Plus, I noticed that it is an OEM option and the Droid beta version (downloading) is closed. WTF? Swype on the EVO seals the deal, but I can't download it and HTC doesn't license it? If anyone should be licensing Swype it should be the HTC EVO and not the Samsung Epic with pull-out keyboard. :confused:

In a nutshell, I am a cheap bastard and would rather keep $50 - Swype works fine for my needs - the EVO is a slightly better feeling phone over the Epic (I like solid state) - and I really didn't care the Epic had a better looking screen.

OK, I played with the Samsung Epic for about 20-minutes at the Sprint Store yesterday evening. My objective was to use Swype to see if it would serve an an acceptable alternative to a physical keyboard. It took a few minutes to get used to, but I am a good speller and quickly found myself inputting at a respectable rate. Although I still prefer the physical keyboard (been using one for years), the bottom line is that if I felt comfortable with Swype after 20-minutes then it will certainly serve its purpose. Plus, as mentioned, I am not a huge texter.

I wish this were the end of the story...however, I had to use Swype on the Epic since it comes installed with this phone and it's not loaded on the EVO. Plus, I noticed that it is an OEM option and the Droid beta version (downloading) is closed. WTF? Swype on the EVO seals the deal, but I can't download it and HTC doesn't license it? If anyone should be licensing Swype it should be the HTC EVO and not the Samsung Epic with pull-out keyboard. :confused:

In a nutshell, I am a cheap bastard and would rather keep $50 - Swype works fine for my needs - the EVO is a slightly better feeling phone over the Epic (I like solid state) - and I really didn't care the Epic had a better looking screen.

Go back into the Sprint Store, if thats where you got it and ask about the Swype for the EVO.
They may still be able to get it for you.
My friend that got the EVO had them d/l it for her, but it was in a specific time period, so I don't know if it's available anymore or not, you would hope so.

Like you said, it's ON the EPIC, I don't use it because I prefer the keyboard.

Go back into the Sprint Store, if thats where you got it and ask about the Swype for the EVO.
They may still be able to get it for you.
My friend that got the EVO had them d/l it for her, but it was in a specific time period, so I don't know if it's available anymore or not, you would hope so.

Like you said, it's ON the EPIC, I don't use it because I prefer the keyboard.
Many thanks! :hatsoff: I cannot see using an EVO without Swype and I don't see needing Swype with an Epic. Go figure.

I recently read where the next Epic update not include Froyo (i.e., Android 2.2). Instead, it will be a maintenance release to fix "less-than-expected 3G upload speeds." I still like the Epic, but I everything is still pointing to the EVO.

I recently read where the next Epic update not include Froyo (i.e., Android 2.2). Instead, it will be a maintenance release to fix "less-than-expected 3G upload speeds." I still like the Epic, but I everything is still pointing to the EVO.

How often do they bring these updates out ?

So they do a maintenance update and add 2.2 after that ....

What exactly were they talking about doing with this "less-than-expected 3G upload speeds."
Is this saying that they are going to boost the speed ?

That would be nice, so far it's faster than what I had before already, but faster would always be better.

So far, I'm really liking the EPIC and my friend likes here EVO.

Make sure you get the ZAG screen cover with either of them.

What exactly were they talking about doing with this "less-than-expected 3G upload speeds."

That would be nice, so far it's faster than what I had before already, but faster would always be better.

I'm not sure about the update frequency (i.e., when 2.2 will be pushed), but I believe the "less-than-expected 3G" deals with a lot of people noticing that the Epic seems to top-out at 150Kb upload speeds when using 3G. You may wish to run a speedtest "assuming you're using 3G" and see what you come up with.

I'm not sure about the update frequency (i.e., when 2.2 will be pushed), but I believe the "less-than-expected 3G" deals with a lot of people noticing that the Epic seems to top-out at 150Kb upload speeds when using 3G. You may wish to run a speedtest "assuming you're using 3G" and see what you come up with.

Do you know what it's suppose to run at ?

I just went to Speakeasy.net/speedtest

Which works on my computer, says the license is missing on the cell phone.

Last edited:
I was thinking in getting the Samsung Epic 4G but now that my Touch Pro 2 is running 2.2 with sound and now hw3d maybe I don't need to.. hehe

Plus I am running the TP2 at 822Mhz over the 524mhz stock speed which runs smooth and fast.

Downloads - Project Android

Do you know what it's suppose to run at ?

I just went to Speakeasy.net/speedtest

Which works on my computer, says the license is missing on the cell phone.

Download the free speedtest.net application from the market place.

I was thinking in getting the Samsung Epic 4G but now that my Touch Pro 2 is running 2.2 with sound and now hw3d maybe I don't need to.. hehe

Plus I am running the TP2 at 822Mhz over the 524mhz stock speed which runs smooth and fast.

Downloads - Project Android
Cool. You got 2.2 to run on your Windows Mobile OS phone...

You don't need a screen cover for Galaxy S phones. They all use Gorilla glass on top of the S-AMOLED screen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts