SSO audio 2 Home theatre with a 2 TV setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

odinbear

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 27, 2010
central NY
quick question(seems like this will work but I've never seen the SCART). Have an OpenBox hooked up in living room (HDMI) to HD TV (which looks SUPER) and running a RCA(3plug) out to an older TV in the Bedroom (which BTW has a MARTIAN GREEN OUTPUT, horrible, yccch).
Thing is the TV sound via HDMI sounds like sh*t and I'd like to run additional audio to the home theatre receiver. It accepts optical and RCA 3plug (not HDMI). Should I be able to run a SCART-to-RCA3plug adapter/cable setup and use the 2 audio RCA's to hook into the receiver?
What's up with the shoddy output via RCA, too? Shouldn't be too hard to make a computer output to a screen, I've never seen no monitor be green before! :rolleyes:

I don't know the answer to your question, but something to consider. Your A/V receiver has 1 coaxial digital input, are you using it already? If not, you should be able to connect the coaxial digital audio out on the Openbox to that input on your Sony.

For audio, you should be fine with just getting a Y-adapter (if you can still find such a thing, Radio Shack used to have them but I haven't looked lately) for the RCA outputs. I've even used a Y-adapter for video in the past; how well it works over a long cable run depends on how sensitive the inputs on the TV are, but like I said, audio shouldn't be too picky unless you have a receiver with ridiculously low input impedance.

That was going to be my next suggestion. You can get those Y adapters on Ebay, super cheap. I'm using a similar idea on my setup called an RCA "piggyback cable". RS carries those as well.

Coaxial out for audio? Can I just use an RCA cable, they the same?

Also thanks for the RCA splittin idea, might also sync the sound a bit with the bedroom as the 50ft cable seems to have introduced a very slight delay(echo) (I was also thinking, maybe the long length isn't helping the green prob either)

Yes, you can just use a regular RCA type cable... Unless you're an audiophile, then you'll need something with gold plated ends, cryo-treated, oxygen free wire that costs at least $500 :D

Yes, you can just use a regular RCA type cable... Unless you're an audiophile, then you'll need something with gold plated ends, cryo-treated, oxygen free wire that costs at least $500 :D

I've scored 2-3 sets of the Goldplated 3-Rca cables at estate auctions already. (pennies on the dollar). Passed on several small Pizza Dishes (but scored a DSS RCA receiver), over last summer, but I don't think I'll be passing on those dishes anymore as I understand, I might be able to use the dish to point opposite my current arc.

I wouldn't spend anything on a pizza dish. They're usually available for free when people move or get rid of their service, and they are not ideal for FTA due to their size and the fact that you have to change the LNBF to a linear model. The only Dish Network or DirecTV dishes that are somewhat useful are the Dish Network Superdish and the DirecTV Slimline. The Slimline would still require an LNBF replacement to be of use.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)