SSQ......Sucking in the 70's

Vince2

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Mar 3, 2004
Portland, OR
Got the new software upgrade last night. Sat signal quality went from 20's to 70's. Looks like the software just adds 50 to the readout. When it fluctuates below 70, I get pixelation and loss of signal. Right now it is raining and my reading is 65. Needless to say, I have no signal (except on OTA locals which work fine). Anybody else in the 70's? I tried a larger dish (24") to no avail. This weekend I will get the installer to move the dish to another part of the roof. I think a distant tree branch may be the problem. Otherwise, it's no more Voom for me. :(

Mine dipped into the 60s last night during heavy rain. I lost the signal for about 10 minutes.

Would I have to pay for the installer to come back out and peak the dish, or would Voom pay for that?

Rollerfink,

Voom will pay. My installer told me he had to warranty the install for one year. That said, my satellite signal quality is only 80 and the dish needs to be adjusted soon or VOOM will go.

Only 80? I would kill to be there. LOL! With the previous software, the best I ever got was 31. That would put me at 81 max post upgrade. Hence, I think reports of improved reception with the software upgrade are bogus. All it did was add 50 to the score, so the 70 cutoff is like the previous 20...below it you have nothing.

You guys def have pointing/obstruction/poor install issues. If you have and can confirm clear line of site you should have signal strength around 95 at least (50 w/ old firmware)

Bill

I have the exact same problem here in Los Angeles. When weather conditions are good, quality is between 90 and 95, strength 70-75, S/N 12-14. Right now it's been cloudy the last few mornings and we lose signal. Anything below 70 is a no go. :no

Vince2 said:
Got the new software upgrade last night. Sat signal quality went from 20's to 70's. Looks like the software just adds 50 to the readout. When it fluctuates below 70, I get pixelation and loss of signal. Right now it is raining and my reading is 65. Needless to say, I have no signal (except on OTA locals which work fine). Anybody else in the 70's? I tried a larger dish (24") to no avail. This weekend I will get the installer to move the dish to another part of the roof. I think a distant tree branch may be the problem. Otherwise, it's no more Voom for me. :(

You should let VOOM know that that is not acceptable. Two possible things that can be done are repeaking the dish (but you already said that on a clear sky your quality is good) or get a 24" dish.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)