Stab HH-90 - Manual Control?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

nedriv49

Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
California
Hello all, I don't know if this is the right place for this question, let me know if not. I am looking at the STAB HH-90 and wonder if I can control it's motor manually without any special equipment.

I subscribe to a Wireless internet service. My radio receiver/transmitter is on top of a 75 foot tall crank-up antenna tower. The dish is 18" across. I need to "peak" the signal from my Wifi provider while the antenna tower is fully extended. Needless to say, I'm not climbing the tower! Once the signal is "peaked", I would not change the direction of the dish unless necessary due to high winds or ???.

I am looking for a setup that would allow me to manually set the Elevation (up/down) and direction (left/right) of my Wifi Radio/transmitter dish.

Do you know if it is possible to control directional settings manually on the HH-90? Is there another possible inexpensive solution?

Thanks for your help.\

Ed

The HH90 will track an arc using DiSEqC 1.2 commands issued by a DVBS receiver/PCIE/USB device. It will not adjust elevation and azimuth individually.

The cheap option would be to use two OTA antenna positioners with controllers. One controller/motor for horizontal axis, the other set for vertical.

The only inexpensive solution, is for your wireless internet company to climb the tower and make the adjustments.

I've never heard a wireless company that didn't insist on installing and peaking the wireless antenna themselves, as part of the service.

The HH90 will track an arc using DiSEqC 1.2 commands issued by a DVBS receiver/PCIE/USB device. It will not adjust elevation and azimuth individually.

The cheap option would be to use two OTA antenna positioners with controllers. One controller/motor for horizontal axis, the other set for vertical.
Thanks for the info and suggestion. I have one rotator on the antenna tower already, so I think I'll look for another one.

The only inexpensive solution, is for your wireless internet company to climb the tower and make the adjustments.

I've never heard a wireless company that didn't insist on installing and peaking the wireless antenna themselves, as part of the service.
I agree with you in principle. The tower is a four section collapsible "crank-up". The fourth (highest) section is only about 4 inches in diameter and is 20 feet long. The WISP didn't install the tower, and aren't confident in the guy wiring, etc, so they don't want to climb it. I don't blame them.

They peaked the signal, as best they could, by cranking the tower up and down several times and making minor adjustments on the dish pointing each time. I then installed the rotator and we were able to peak the signal from the ground on the horizontal axis, but I want to see if I can improve my signal strength by peaking on the vertical axis also. Thanks for your comment.

Ed

Depends on your antenna, but an 18" reflector at 2.4GHz won't have a really tight reception pattern. The resolution of most TV rotators is more than 1 degree but should be fine for the antenna you are using. Guess if you have it set to maximize your signal you could remove the rotor and fix the dish at the same azimuth and then attach the rotor so you can change elevation.... Moot point if your tower is flexible and twists/bends in the wind though.

Are there a lot of buildings/trees etc in the path? Might be freznal interference causing issues, quite common in microwave frequencies... Here's a calculator, you can estimate the tree/building height etc.
http://www.wirelessconnections.net/calcs/FresnelZone.asp

Reactions: jorgek and Jim S.
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)