OTHER Stab motor power question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

arlo

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 4, 2016
North Eastern
This may be way out there. Has anyone looked that the electronics inside of one of these positioners and come up with a way to run the motor with an external power supply?

I was wondering because of lessons learned how power inserters can help power hungry lnbf's and increase the life of receivers/wall wart supplies.

I'm doing tons of reading of setting up ku along side of c band on my 12 footer.
Seems there are many pros and cons. So a dedicated steerable ku dish setup looks better.
The more I thought about it, if there was a way to more closely resemble moving the dish like a c band diseqc controller does it would let me get the required motor voltage/current at the stab and let diseqc do the move commands.

My idea was if you could supply ready motor power and when a diseqc command from the receiver was received to move the dish, use the power instead of what comes over coax from however many feet away.
A schematic of one would tell me in a few minutes.

It would be a cool way to repurpose one of the old solar fence chargers I have lying around here.

Just asking is all. Thanks!

This may be way out there. Has anyone looked that the electronics inside of one of these positioners and come up with a way to run the motor with an external power supply?

I was wondering because of lessons learned how power inserters can help power hungry lnbf's and increase the life of receivers/wall wart supplies.

I'm doing tons of reading of setting up ku along side of c band on my 12 footer.
Seems there are many pros and cons. So a dedicated steerable ku dish setup looks better.
The more I thought about it, if there was a way to more closely resemble moving the dish like a c band diseqc controller does it would let me get the required motor voltage/current at the stab and let diseqc do the move commands.

My idea was if you could supply ready motor power and when a diseqc command from the receiver was received to move the dish, use the power instead of what comes over coax from however many feet away.
A schematic of one would tell me in a few minutes.

It would be a cool way to repurpose one of the old solar fence chargers I have lying around here.

Just asking is all. Thanks!
You may find info on what you are looking for here. :)

Naughty Mods I: DG-380 Separate Drive Power

wiring the impossible (Post 3)

From my recollection a STAB usually doesn't take more than about 300mA. So I don't know how much current your receiver can supply, and if there really is a problem?

Otherwise: see STAB 90 Dish Motor Needs More Power!
and the links in there. (The above links by FTA4PA are also there. ;) )

Schematics of one type of board of the HH100/HH120 motors is in this topic:
STAB HH100 onderdeeltje doorgebrand
BTW The italian link in the first post does what you want, IIRC. (The STABs have solid state relais...) :)

I've noticed recently though, that there is another (smaller) board for the HH100 and HH120. Don't have any specs/schematics on that.

So, nice time to test your language skills (dutch, italian) again? ;)

Greetz,
A33

Last edited:
If you have adequate signal from the LNBF and can spare a few dBs, install a splitter between the STB and the motor. Run one leg to the LNBF and the other leg through a 18Vdc power inserter then to the STAB 120. The motor will always see 18Vdc and provide maximum speed no matter if the STB is on a vertical or horizontal tp.

Please note, some inserters don't pass 22KHz/DiSEqC.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts