Stacked Ku LNBF for a Primestar Dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

oncewaslost

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 5, 2007
Are there any stacked KU lnbf's that will fit on the mount of a Primestar dish without modifications?

Last edited:
Ku band?
What sort of Primestar?
- round or
- elliptical like the 84e ?

There aren't a lot of LNBs available.
The two mechanical types that immediately come to mind are the round-horn unit off a Dish Network SuperDish from 105º
(which by the way, I'd like to locate some such horns, myself)
Or the elliptical horns (probably good for an 84e (assumption) as shown below.
...and I think the ones below should bolt right on... (?)

Oh, and of course, you may be ablle to bolt-up these EagleAspen/Dish LNBs to your existing horn, too.

Pix below are:
- 105 Dish LNBf
- elliptical horned Eagle Aspen (or Dish) LNBf
- Dish LNB bolted to Primestar feedhorn.

Attachments

• 105LNB.50.116.jpg
    105LNB.50.116.jpg
    1.8 KB · Views: 334
  • DishStackedKULNBF01.jpg
    DishStackedKULNBF01.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 316
  • PrimestarHornDishFSSlnb.jpg
    PrimestarHornDishFSSlnb.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 475
I have one of those red bullets that are .02 db on there. You have to strip off the plastic but the neck is small enough. Dont know the brand name though. Iceburg did a review on one of those a while back.

I have a Dish stacked FSS LNB bolted onto the feedhorn of my 1 meter Channel Master dish (same dish as 1M Primestar). That same LNB should also mount perfectly on the feedhorn for an 84E and the 75cm Primestar as well.

I have at least one of each. :D
Then as Voom, Tron, and I mentioned, and showed in the 3rd picture, just bolt the stacked LNB to the feedhorn that matches each dish.
Should work out fine.
I started out thinking you didn't have feedhorns, and that's why I went off on a tangent. :rolleyes:

Then as Voom, Tron, and I mentioned, and showed in the 3rd picture, just bolt the stacked LNB to the feedhorn that matches each dish.
Should work out fine.
I started out thinking you didn't have feedhorns, and that's why I went off on a tangent. :rolleyes:

Yea I have one 84e and several of the smaller 30" elliptical. I also have an oval Channel Master that was used for DTN service. The 84e is the only one that I have in service. It takes about 150' of coax to get out past the trees where I can get the full arc. With a Stab HH120 my signal is degraded. I read in another post about using a high frequency splitter and by passing the motor. So I have ordered a couple of those splitters. I thought it would be interesting to see how a stacked lnb would compare with that length of cable. I really don't want to modify the 84e in any way. If it comes to that, I will sacrifice one of the 30 inchers.

I didn't know that the feed would bolt up to any other lnb. That is great to know. If fact, I wish I had known that earlier. I have thrown away a couple of the original primestar lnb's that either H or V side would not work. I could have at least saved the feed horn.

I think I know where I can get a few of the Dish 105 FSS lnb's.

Thanks for sharing!

I think I know where I can get a few of the Dish 105 FSS lnb's.
Maybe after you bolt up the LNB to the Primestar feedhorn, you can send the left-over 105º feedhorns out my way (happy to pay back for shipping).
I've been looking for some, and already have LNB+feeds like shown in my 2nd picture. - :cool:

Let us know how the whole thing works out for you, and post some pictures.
The nice thing about those LNBs, is that they'll work fine at several hundred feet, whereas the voltage-switched models might suffer voltage loss, and not switch properly.

As for motor-loss, I guess you saw that other thread: SG2100 Insertion Loss.
Anxious for your input (just post over there) on that subject, as well! - :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)