Stacking OTA signal on Joey client rg6

Cokeswigga

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 15, 2004
can you stack an OTA signal onto the Joey Client line RG6?

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

I've been trying to figure out a way to block the moca signal perhaps with an isolator to allow ota to be diplexed on the line to a hopper. I don't want to run an extra cable and I have no joeys.

It would work if the range of the OTA is 55mhz to 575 like it says in the chart for the reserved space. Any channels live there?

It would work if the range of the OTA is 55mhz to 575 like it says in the chart for the reserved space. Any channels live there?

If I recall correctly, you'd be safe for the VHF range and UHF up to about channel 20-25 or so. Most markets have multiple, maybe most channels above that. Remember that what was your old VHF "Channel 5" pre-digital is likely now being transmitted on a higher UHF OTA frequency and being "mapped" to 5 by the receiver.

If I recall correctly, you'd be safe for the VHF range and UHF up to about channel 20-25 or so. Most markets have multiple, maybe most channels above that. Remember that what was your old VHF "Channel 5" pre-digital is likely now being transmitted on a higher UHF OTA frequency and being "mapped" to 5 by the receiver.

Channels 31 and below are in that 55-575 mHz range. In my market that would leave out FOX, NBC, ION, and some independents.

Channels 31 and below are in that 55-575 mHz range. In my market that would leave out FOX, NBC, ION, and some independents.
Remember that the OTA channel that your TV or receiver tunes is the virtual channel, not the real channel frequency. There could be low-numbered channels in your area that are actually high-numbered real channel frequencies. For instance in my area, channe 4.1 is actually broadcast on channel frequency 42, and 17.1 virtual is 34 real. Check tvfool.com for your specific area.

If your market has any signals higher then 575Mhz you will muck up your moca unless you install filters and with all that work your better off doing it another way other then a combiner.

Just run a fresh line for your OTA.

Run hard wire cat5/6 on an isolated subnet from your home network to each joey.

You can also setup a wireless N network just for your hopper system but make sure hopper is on same network and other pc's and network gear are on another network.

Remember that the OTA channel that your TV or receiver tunes is the virtual channel, not the real channel frequency. There could be low-numbered channels in your area that are actually high-numbered real channel frequencies. For instance in my area, channe 4.1 is actually broadcast on channel frequency 42, and 17.1 virtual is 34 real. Check tvfool.com for your specific area.

Thanks, but I WAS talking about digital (transmission) channels. I didn't make that clear, admittedly.

If your market has any signals higher then 575Mhz you will muck up your moca unless you install filters and with all that work your better off doing it another way other then a combiner.

Even if lucky enough that there are no broadcast signals above 575mhz, it would be asking for moca trouble hooking up an antenna without using a filter. The antenna would be throwing a lot of noise onto the line, and you would end up broadcasting your moca data to the neighbors.

Like you said though, two coax, or an ethernet only Joey would be the way to go.

With half-decent N equipment (or even decent G) and reasonable distances, separate nets aren't needed. I did pretty extensive testing with a couple of wireless Joeys, and they don't really strain the network. Naturally depends on what your overall load is - at some point the wireless will be saturated, but I certainly wouldn't buy extra equipment to start. If it's cat5 wired, then I can't think of any reason to bother with separate nets.

I've got my joeys running on direct ethernet connection to the router/ethernet switch on my home network. I'll also take one out on the patio with a wifi adapter on occasion and it works quite well. Doing something along those lines would free up the existing coax for your ota.

Ther you have it wifi or hardwire that mofo. I use subnets as i feed alot of data around more then your normal user.

Bact to the ota mix yes we are all talking digitl as most have switched . Digital is still using the same frequincys as vhf/uhf but are 1&0's "digital" but you will need to look at tvfool to see what the channel number is prior to the map down like you locals from dish.

With all this talk you could have run the new line or network by now. Pull the triger and get moving we will help.

I had a 2H/0J system installed last Friday and we were able to successfully diplex the OTA on the lines to both Hoppers. We just have the OTA hooked directly to the TVs until support for the Hoppers comes out.

I had a 2H/0J system installed last Friday and we were able to successfully diplex the OTA on the lines to both Hoppers. We just have the OTA hooked directly to the TVs until support for the Hoppers comes out.

Does MoCA between the Hoppers work (sharing recordings?) The general consensus has been that diplexing OTA kills MoCA in most (if not all) cases... Also are you diplexing BEFORE or AFTER the node (between the dish and the node or between a Hopper and the node?)

3HaloODST said:
Does MoCA between the Hoppers work (sharing recordings?) The general consensus has been that diplexing OTA kills MoCA in most (if not all) cases... Also are you diplexing BEFORE or AFTER the node (between the dish and the node or between a Hopper and the node?)

I didn't want my hoppers to see each other so isolators were used. It is diplexed after the node and split off before the isolators.

I see... Makes sense... Just keep in mind if the two Hoppers are on the same LAN, they'll see each other anyway... Heh.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)