Standard Dish message is gone.Can I get Voom now?

shill

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 29, 2005
Arkansas
Hey guys, bear with me I need help. Have a 51"hdtv and dish. Still not subscribing to the HD channels as 10 bucks for 5 channels AND a 942 seems outrageously expensive.

Used to, when I tuned to a few channels such as Pax and another local, I got a blue screen and told to call Dish for a free extra dish on my house. I also know that I have to have that "extra" dish to get Voom. I've noticed lately that I don't get that blue screen anymore and appear to get ALL channels. Was also told my one meth-head installer who 'forgot' his tools that I didn't have line of sight anyway for the extra dish. I already have 2 dishes on my roof (one is starband), and hate to put more holes in my new roof.

Does this mean that Dish has changed the satellites? Can I now get Voom off of my dish 500? Zip is 72104. Any help would be much appreciated.

Anyone? :(

If I got a different dish would I be able to receive voom? Would this new dish 1000 work even though I don't have L.O.S. on the old satellite?

your zip gets Little Rock locals. There are 3 channels on the wing
25 (Religious)
36 (Daystar)
49 (RTN)..this one is pretty cool as it has old shows (think TV land 5 years ago)

These are on 148 and mirrored on 129...so you should be able to get the Dish1000...which would replace the Dish500 :)

Danke guys!! I'll read up on the 1000 and ask more later.

P.S. I have a story to tell you about our local DTV rep and info I got off of here. He simply refuses to come on this site and read. I just don't understand people who don't want information.

goaliebob99 said:
1000 = yes.... As long as you have los to 129... and if you have starband most likely you have los to 129... but remember that voom may not stay on 129 as nothing is official yet

I thought that September Retailer Chat made Voom on 129 official. I know no one bothered to tell the CSRs, but the installers are putting up 1000s for Voom. As I mentioned in another thread, the 1000s are in stock in Arizona, but Superdishes never were.

M Sparks said:
You can get Voom on a Dish 500, but you won't get anything from 110 (Which is where HD Pak is).
You've got that all backwards. Correct is:

You can get HD Pak on a Dish 500, but you won't get anything from 129 (Which is where Voom is).

Although, of course, Voom is also still on 61.5

NO...what I was saying is you COULD get Voom on a DISH 500, but you wouldn't get 110. I was just pointing out that "Dish 500 = No" is an overly simplistic answer. It's impossible to get 105 or 121 with a DISH 500, but you CAN get 129. You just have to give up everything at 110.

I personally am getting Voom on my Dish 500, because it's tuned to 119/129. My Dish 300 is pointed to 110. I didn't say it was common, I just said it was possible. I had some tree growth issues interfering with 110, and this was easier than re-mounting a mast.

I suppose I should have been clearer, since the original poster was confused to begin with.

Hey, don't blame me for being confused :)

I've got a question: If it were you, would you call and get the free extra dish or would you get the dish 1000?

I suppose they serve the same purpose right? Are, would I get more channels with the 1000?

Shill- not your fault...it's just plain confusing! I was just apologizing for making things worse.

The main question...do you really care about the third dish from a hole-in-the-roof point of view? If so, it might be worth it to buy a DISH 1000. If not, the second dish offers more flexability, and it is FREE.

I bought a DISH 1000 because I needed new LNBs and it was cheaper than buying them separately. I tried putting it up, but it couldn't get 110 from one mast, and couldn't get 119 at the other. I asked my wife if she cared if we had one dish or two...she didn't. (Of course, we already had 2.) Hence, the unusual setup described above. The 1000 is now in the shed until things shake out with HD-LIL- it's possible I might need to go to a 110/119/129/148 set up. In that case I will try mounting the 1000 somewhere else to avoid a 3 dish setup.

As far as getting "more channels", that depends. Iceberg says your extra locals are on 148 & 129. I would have assumed 61.5, but Iceberg usually knows, so I'm not going to look it up. 129 has Voom and 148 doesn't, so yes- there are "more" channels on 129, but you lose a few Public Service channels and the (in my opinion) fun free previews of foreign channels. If your locals were at 61.5, 129 would have less overall, because 61.5 has Voom AND Public Service AND foreign channels.

Again, the second dish offers more flexability. You can point it at 61.5, 129 OR 148. With the new Rainbow bird and other uncertainties about HD-LIL, you might need to change your setup in the near future. (That's why I didn't sell the DISH 1000 off.)

I thought I read on another post that it was against E* SOP to install the 1000 on the roof. Or am I thinking superdish?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)