Star Choice Digital Basic Questions

OK, thanks dish_dtv, I've found it. My popup blocker was blocking those pages. I was hoping to get Rogers Sportsnet HD but looks like I'll be paying $1.99 for TSN-HD only. :(

OK, thanks dish_dtv, I've found it. My popup blocker was blocking those pages. I was hoping to get Rogers Sportsnet HD but looks like I'll be paying $1.99 for TSN-HD only. :(

Yeah, me too, likely. On the one hand, I'm glad they provided the option for Digital Basics folks to add this. On the other, paying the whole cost for only one of the channels feels wrong.

I'll just look at it as a two buck price increase for Digital Basics. Still a good deal.

Logged into the website yesterday...

and they hand not changed the self serve to be able to add this package yet. I do not know how they are doing it over the phone since they mention to "sign up now". I really do not want to call and wait on hold. I guess will see when feb1 comes up.

Satboyz

and they hand not changed the self serve to be able to add this package yet. I do not know how they are doing it over the phone since they mention to "sign up now". I really do not want to call and wait on hold. I guess will see when feb1 comes up.

Satboyz
You can add the Sports HD bundle on the SC web site as follows...
In the Jumbo Dumbo post above there is a link, click on that and follow the instructions in the dish_dtv post above.

I did the same for the same reasons (only SC supplements my Dish subscription). We're on the west coast and use SC to time-shift network HD out of Detroit. We don't view much else on SC, so Digital Basics is perfect for us.

I am also looking to supplement my D* subscription and it appears the Digital Basic could be the answer. The next thing would be to determine if the DVR is worth the investment or not or just sticking with the standard HD unit.

One other thing does SC require a one or two year committment to programming? Any other feedback before I take the plunge.

I chose to get the regular HD receiver, the DSR505. So far no problems. The DVR is very expensive and prone to problems. If you are in the US, getting replacements can be a real PITA. And because of the history of problems, some brokers won't even support the current DVR, the DSR530.

I chose to get the regular HD receiver, the DSR505. So far no problems. The DVR is very expensive and prone to problems. If you are in the US, getting replacements can be a real PITA. And because of the history of problems, some brokers won't even support the current DVR, the DSR530.
My recent experience with the 530 has been without problems. I believe that is is primarily due to the software update we had several months back. Prior to the software update there were many issues, but my 530 has been very stable lately.

I bought a refurb 530 for $299 and it has been very reliable.

Nice thing is that you can upgrade the hard drive if you wish with any Seagate IDE drive. Some folks have a 750 GB drive in yielding 137 hours of HD content to record.

The 505 is a nice unit; the R5000 mod is a possibility for those wanting to record.

Kryspy

I noticed that when you go to SC website Digital Basic is not a selectable item when chosing programming for new customers anymore. The brochure (pdf file) does indicate a $20 package however but does details which channels.

Digital Basic is not even an option for current subscriber to change programming anymore. Hope they haven't dropped it as an option.

Another thing I noticed effective today with Digital Baisc + HD Sports Bundle, I'm now getting 281 SNET-HD. :) Hope it lasts.

Digital Basic is not even an option for current subscriber to change programming anymore. Hope they haven't dropped it as an option.

Sure looks like it is gone as an option.

Another thing I noticed effective today with Digital Baisc + HD Sports Bundle, I'm now getting 281 SNET-HD. :) Hope it lasts.

Lucky you. I added the sports bundle to my Digital Basics but am only getting TSN.

I wonder if you can still call in and get Digital Basic and if those of us with it now can continue with it indefinitely. There was no notice that they were dropping DB. Some people might have been caught in the process of setting up their dish, thinking they could call and get DB.

Digital Basics info

Hi there, I've been reading this post, and as a digital basics subscriber, I can tell you that, yes, the DB package is still available, but you must call to have that package. We frequently go on vacation, and since they put an end to Vacation Mode, they suggested we down grade to the DB package. We can upgrade at anytime online, but to downgrade we need to call. with thier call back option, I didn't need to wait on hold, works great, and you can call anytime, as often as you want to change your package. Hope this helps some.

Cheers - DeRoK

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts