Star Choice HDTV in Orlando?

gaarcham

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Sep 13, 2006
I have been looking at everything here, Kusat, and starchoice and it seems too good to be true!!

My question is about receiving both satellites west of Orlando. Is this possible? The map on Kusat doesn't show a footprint for the Anik E2 going down to FLA.

I would get the 75cm dish. Is that enough?

Thank you for helping.

I live west of Orlando on the Gulf coast and am getting an SC 75cm setup installed on Monday. The installers do a fair number of these across the state and are confident that this will work well. I will report my findings as soon as I can watch CBC-HD! Needless to say, I'm fired up. :hungry:

Last edited:
leighnjo said:
What equipment are you installing? I have been interested in StarChoice for some time and will be very interested in how things turn out.

I will use two receivers: DSR-530 (HD DVR) and the DSR-505.

You'll be fine with the 75cm dish on both satellites. Works great for me over in Tampa...and I know there are many others of us in FL happily receiving Star Choice.

ExpressVu...especially HD...that's another issue :mad:

bwaldron said:
You'll be fine with the 75cm dish on both satellites. Works great for me over in Tampa...and I know there are many others of us in FL happily receiving Star Choice.

ExpressVu...especially HD...that's another issue :mad:

Can you not get 82W now?:confused:

Have you seen the numbers I have gotten for the last 6-8 weeks with a T90 Toroidal?

HDTVFanAtic said:
Can you not get 82W now?:confused:

Have you seen the numbers I have gotten for the last 6-8 weeks with a T90 Toroidal?

To be clear, I am a *former* ExpressVu customer...sold off my equipment after the original move of transponders to Nimiq3 in August 04, and installed Star Choice in its place last year.

I have indeed noted the numbers you've been getting lately on 82. Fingers crossed for you and the other ExpressVu folks down here that they stay that way!

Early *C report

Sorry for not posting my findings sooner--been one of those weeks! ;)

Thus far, I am pleased with the reception I'm getting with a 76cm dish. All channels, HD and otherwise, come through clearly. It was a treat watching the MLB playoffs and Royal Canadian Air Farce in HD. Interestingly, I noticed a smoother image with the Rogers Sportsnet-HD feed of the Tigers/Yankees game compared to the DirecTV ESPN-HD coverage. I can't tell if this is due to D*'s notorious bit starvation or ESPN itself.

The only issue has been an HDMI handshake problem with connecting the DSR-530 to my display through an HDMI switch (I reluctantly had to switch to a component connection, leaving a slightly softer picture).

I'm looking forward to seeing Coach's Corner tonight in HD!

Isn't it illegal to receive Canadian satellite in the US. I could be wrong but am confident that there is no legal way to sub Canadian service South of the Canadian border.

mruk69 said:
Isn't it illegal to receive Canadian satellite in the US. I could be wrong but am confident that there is no legal way to sub Canadian service South of the Canadian border.

I'm a Canadian who splits half the year down here and half back home. :)

mruk69 said:

Its not illegal to receive Canadian TV in the US

SC & ExpressVu can only sell to Canadian addresses. Thats why there are program brokers ouot there fot the "Southern subs" who do not have a Canadian address

*c is much friendlier to southern subs then bev-- bev will yank your
chain and your service if they find out you are in the usa-- *c on the hand doesn't care and you can call them from usa.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts