Star Trek: Prodigy

It’s like “The Producers” but with a new twist. Instead of the insurance, the “producers” are going after a Business Loss on their books…

Tax Breaks.

Warner started this when they cancelled a Batgirl Movie and a Scooby Doo Movie for HBOMAX, which earned them about $200 Million in Tax Savings.

Also, cancelled the already finished last season of Snowpiercer for TNT, said it could air elsewhere, but whoever bought it, the price would have to exceed the tax savings, hence why it has not aired anywhere yet.

Now Disney and Paramount are doing the same thing, Prodigy, like Snowpiercer, will have the same issues.
Which is giving subscribers the idea to cut their streaming apps down or out, since they are cancelling so many shows. You can't cut your way to being in the black and you can't charge more than the market can bear. I see this a continued issue till they decide what they are doing isn't working.

Reactions: TheKrell
Which is giving subscribers the idea to cut their streaming apps down or out, since they are cancelling so many shows.
Not cancelling that much, just the stuff not that many were watching, Paramount still has tons of content, Disney will always have Star Wars/Marvel ( next years shows are already done), Netflix has premiered about 10 things in the last month I want to watch, cannot say the same for Broadcast/Cable Channels right now.
You can't cut your way to being in the black and you can't charge more than the market can bear. I see this a continued issue till they decide what they are doing isn't working.
If you look back on history, what they ( streaming) are doing is working, compared to what has happened before.

For example, it took DirecTV 6 years to become profitable, Dish Network 9 years, both Paramount and Disney+ are expecting to go profitable in 2024, which fits the same time range as the Satellite Companies.

And remember, Netflix, Hulu, MA:mad:HBO) and now YouTubeTV ( with the recent price increase)are already profitable .

But that does not mean all streaming will make it, AMC is done for and Peacock is a money pit, but Cable Channels are failing also, the RSNs are the biggest example.

Last edited:
Reactions: Foxbat
Huh. That’s bizarre to me, Paramount is producing this, but I guess if Netflix is willing to pay for it, good on them.

More Janeway, please…

Reactions: TheKrell
Huh. That’s bizarre to me, Paramount is producing this, but I guess if Netflix is willing to pay for it, good on them.

More Janeway, please…
It was cancelled for tax purposes, Warner started this wave of cancellations with the Batgirl Movie, it cost $100 million to make, Warner claimed it lost $200 million for loss of revenue by never releasing it on HBOMAX, if I remember correctly, IRS ended up giving Warner $150 Million in tax credits for it.

Same for Prodigy, ( numbers are just an example), say it costs $3 Million an episode to make, claim it lost $6 Million an episode by never airing.

Then if they sold it to Netflix for $3 Million, they still get $3 Million tax credit.

Also depends on what type of credit they are applying for, the Batgirl movie can never be released or Warner would then have to pay the IRS that $150 Million.

Actually it is more simple than that. You don't pay taxes unless you make a profit, and Paramount Plus never has. And never will.

Pop goes the bubble.

Market analysts have been telling Paramount to do this for over two years. As it becomes clear that it will never make any money at streaming, it needs to do a 180 and sell its valuable legacy series to others.

This is a significant day in sad history of the streaming bubble.

Actually it is more simple than that. You don't pay taxes unless you make a profit, and Paramount Plus never has. And never will.

Pop goes the bubble.

Market analysts have been telling Paramount to do this for over two years. As it becomes clear that it will never make any money at streaming, it needs to do a 180 and sell its valuable legacy series to others.

This is a significant day in sad history of the streaming bubble.
Are you following me around the forum.

The questions was about ST: Prodigy and why it will be on Netflix, not about your rants against streaming, there is a forum already set up for that.

Reactions: KAB