Star Wars Saga in HD from Cinemax

Marcus Carr

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 10, 2006
Baltimore City, MD
I have all six Star Wars movies in HD on Cinemax On Demand. Unfortunately, Episode II is NOT OAR.

They will be on the linear channel starting with a marathon on 11/10.

Last edited:
It sucks that the Star Wars series has black bars...

I wish that the presentation of Star Wars series OnDemand would play it without the black bars, it looks strange on a 16x9 screen.

I wish that the presentation of Star Wars series OnDemand would play it without the black bars, it looks strange on a 16x9 screen.

You have black bars on the top and bottom of your screen because the movie is being shown in its original aspect ratio (OAR). Most widescreen DVD movies are also presented in their OAR and thus tend to have different sized black bars on the top and bottom of widescreen HDTV sets.

Why can't they have a consistent size that fills the screen like most HD content...

You have black bars on the top and bottom of your screen because the movie is being shown in its original aspect ratio (OAR). Most widescreen DVD movies are also presented in their OAR and thus tend to have different sized black bars on the top and bottom of widescreen HDTV sets.

I don't think any picture with black bars is true HD, I think if it has the bars it's 480p upconverted by broadcaster.

I have found many programs that don't have the black bars when played. They should be consistent, not off and on.

I don't think any picture with black bars is true HD, I think if it has the bars it's 480p upconverted by broadcaster.

I have found many programs that don't have the black bars when played. They should be consistent, not off and on.

Then you would be wrong. Think about going to the movie house to see a film. They have a curtain that can make the screen wider for those 2:35 movies. That's OAR. For movies that are produced in 1:85, they bring that curtain in a bit. HD has nothing to do with black bars. It has everything to do with resolution.

In simple terms:
- OAR means the entire picture is on the screen, not stretched or squished to fit the specific size.
- HD means that it's as big as it can be to fit the maximum resolution of that screen without spilling over.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts