Starchoice aiming fun

johnny0

Original poster
Oct 18, 2006
Hi-

Just spend the day installing my new Star Choice dish. What fun! :) Damn big dish. Unfortunately the mounting pipe is wider than the ExpressVu I am replacing, and the mounting plate is pretty tall (8.5 inches) making it hard to find a spot where all four screw holes are secure. But anyway...

I was fairly confident I had the right azimuth, elevation and skew (I used the KuSat calculator) but I'm only able to get 50% signal strength (I'm in the Canadian colony of San Francisco). The weird bit -- I realized the LNBF arm was loose (meaning the arm was pointing down a bit). When I tightened it (meaning the LNBFs were higher), I lost signal entirely.

A couple of questions:

- Which is the more forgiving measure, skew or elevation? Given the LNBF arm issue, is one a more likely culprit?
- What's the minimum signal strength required? (I have a 505, but it's not activated yet.)
- What's the diag C / option 6-0-5 equivalent on the 505 so I can check the EB #?
- The signal strength meter says satellite "A4" -- could I somehow be pointed at the wrong bird entirely? Should I be able to see two, or does only one get listed?

Thanks.
johnny0

My dish is pointed at F2 because I am only interested in French programming. The installer mistakenly pointed the dish at F1R, then returned to repoint it to F2 when it turned out I wasn't getting the channels I expected. In both cases, however, the signal strength meter said "A4". Confusing, but that seems to be the way it is.

It's the elliptical 2 LNB. The KuSat levels are definitely off. Looks like I got it, but I'm still wondering what optimal levels are.

My loose-arm syndrome is a bit of a hack, and it makes me wonder levels I should be hoping for in my region.

Last edited:
If you want to receive the strongest signal from both satellites (with a 75cm dish) which satellite do you point towards? Thanks.

If your dish is in Lubbock Texas, set the skew/tilt at 101 and don't change it again.

The elevation will start at 50.2

The azimuth will start at 185 compass degrees.

This setting is for both Star Choice sats. in your area.
Make slow and small movements with dish for signal monitoring.

You may find more information from a thread in the Canadian section titled "Can't wait to get Star Choice TV " post #53.

Good luck. :hungry:

If your dish is in Lubbock Texas, set the skew/tilt at 101 and don't change it again.

The elevation will start at 50.2

The azimuth will start at 185 compass degrees.

This setting is for both Star Choice sats. in your area.
Make slow and small movements with dish for signal monitoring.

You may find more information from a thread in the Canadian section titled "Can't wait to get Star Choice TV " post #53.

Good luck. :hungry:

Thanks I'll do that when I install it after Christmas. I received my dish today (boy it's sure big) and have been tracking my receiver expected to arrive on the 26th. Weather permitting I'll give it a go on the 27th. I hope it goes smooth. You guys are great for advice, feedback, and overall knowledge!

Thanks I'll do that when I install it after Christmas. I received my dish today (boy it's sure big) and have been tracking my receiver expected to arrive on the 26th. Weather permitting I'll give it a go on the 27th. I hope it goes smooth. You guys are great for advice, feedback, and overall knowledge!

Use my advice in post #53 that I mentioned about channels to use.
Yes, your dish is a little larger than what is used in most parts of Canada.
Some outlying areas of Canada use your dish size and there is a third size dish which can also be used for maximum gain. ( about 3')

Expressvu Price increase

Can't wait to get Star Choice TV

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)