Starchoice - Dish just installed

buffalo_frenchy

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 18, 2008
Hi,

I finally installed my 75E dish with the DSR-505 receiver.

At first I struggle to get a signal (nothing for 1H30) so I decided to get a signal finder/meter at a local store and then at my surprise within 5 minutes I found the satellite with a signal of 45 (3.8db) ten minutes later 92 (around 10.3dB) I even peaked at 95 (10.9dB).

Am I all set to activate?
If I go to channel 299 it says "Service temporary not available" I press cancel (no other choice) and I am left with a black screen.
Is it normal?

I do get channel 393 and 354 in clear btw.

Am I ready to call my broker and activate? Thx

yep you are all set then to go :)

Congrats on getting it set up

Thanks. This morning, it is raining but not that much and now my signal strength went down to 74/ 8.1dB?
Is there something wrong in my install? That's a big drop from sunny to slightly rainy...

thanks

When you contact SC direct for service (not sure about a broker) they will have you set the box to channel 299 go through the - Options-6-4-3-1-7 routine and ask you the following information. The registration information on the box, the signal strength reading and Ecb reading.
I am pretty sure their download will come through Anik F1, you can confirm by observing "A4" satellite when you were reading the green scale on satellite strength.
Would think that in your location you would be well in the pattern of their normal service and would get a great signal even on a standard 60E without any problems.
I have a location 500 miles into Mexico and there the Ecb reading is much more important than the signal strength.
Also of interest, signal strength on Anik2 is stronger in my Mexico location than in my New Mexico location.