Starchoice in Mexico

Star Choice in Mexico

Hmmmm... well, it is possible that because Mexico City is more East than Acapulco that maybe the footprint fades off to the East...

But I definitely have full Star Choice HD here in Acapulco, and so does everyone else in this building at AcaCondos... and I have seen the dishes they have set up on the roof, they are just using the 90cm elliptical Star Choice Dishes.

It works great with signal strength in 70s... the only time it doesn't work is when it rains hard (which is very rare in Acapulco). When it rains the HD channels cut out first and then if it rains really hard the SD channels will cut out as well. But if it is not raining, I get all the channels very well.

There is even a hotel here in Acapulco called Las Torres Gemelas Private Suites (www ltgps com) that offers Star Choice HDTV on flat screen TVs in all their rooms and they are using the 90cm elliptical Star Choice dishes as well.

Smog

Hmmm, I was thinking more about this, could it be the smog in Mexico City? I bet that is what it is... when you fly into Mexico City, as I'm sure you know, you see this big brown haze enveloping the city...

Whereas here, in Acapulco, I live right on the beach and the sky is crystal blue every day... I'll bet that is why the signal is better here!

I live in Tequisquiapan, Queretaro and am tired of losing all my Dish Network channels.

I have an 8-foot fiberglass satellite. If I order some LNB's for HD Star Choice, will that work???????? I already have a broker lined up

Also, I will need some installation done for me. Can anyone help.

Thanks,
Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Interested...

Hi! I live in Colima, Im a Mexican, so, I dont have a valid address in Canada, Im interested in having the Starchoice (shaw) service, What can I do?

Thanks.

Starchoice Broker

Hi, I've purchased a HD STB from a Canadian provider kusat (dot com) they send you the stb (400 total for a 230 receiver... figure out the shipping rate)
Ive got a 1.2m antenna and purchased a 90cm antenna in order to get the full lineup. If you are changing providers make sure the LNBs are compatible (SC uses linear vs Dave and DN that use circular).
I´ll set up the system this Saturday and hopefully I´ll get everything up and running.

By the way, the reason of the signal strength difference between Mexico City and Acapulco has to do with the actual footprint of the satellites (you can check it out at satbeams (dot) com)

bigger is always better!

buy yourself a big foot dish as satellites will get weaker as they age. It's the best way to futureproof yourself from sudden fluctuations.
www.dishpointer.net is one of the best pointer with built-in google maps.

Hi any one can give me an opinion about the lnbs DMX522 vs JSC322 for shaw direct, because Im looking the best lnb for Mexico for Sample can I have moré gain, somethin important what switch is necesary, thx

It looks like the DMX522 is better, higher gain. I doubt you would really see any big difference between the two though.

what sports channels are offered by Starchoice? how do they compare to the espn networks? How are locals transmitted? can you get USA locals, ie fox, nbc, cbs and abc?

I dont trust Lyngsat maps anymore. I got my info from Mike Kohl (global-cm.net) who has done extensive work on what dish will work (or wont) when you get that far south

I've got two separate offset dishes, one is 3ft for 107° and one 4ft for 111° and i get good signal that goes when it rains, i'm getting a 75 elliptical dish so i can get a smoth signal.

I live in mexico city

Cheers

Can you folks confirm that you indeed are getting good reception RE: Star English programming in Mexico City ?

I live on the west side of Mexico City and just had alot of Dish programming whacked off....

I have a 1.8 M dish

Problem with Shaw Direct is that the Receivers/DVRs are very inferior from Dish and DirecTV; that's what's keeping me from getting it, but as far as I know it's the only viable option in Mexico now that Dish is gone...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts