Starchoice in Mexico

Hello everyone, my SW setup has been working great. However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the signal for a bunch of channels drops out during the day. From 6pm to 10am all seems to work fine though. Could this have anything to do with solar flares at this time of the year?

That happened to me when I had a smaller dish 90cm. What size is your dish? If it's 1.8mts, then it might need fine tuning

Hello everyone, my SW setup has been working great. However, a couple of weeks ago I noticed that the signal for a bunch of channels drops out during the day. From 6pm to 10am all seems to work fine though. Could this have anything to do with solar flares at this time of the year?

Well I know early October is that time of year, I haven´t experienced any signal loss though, if you want to check more thoroughly here´s a solar outage calculator

Sun Outage Calculator

I don't believe it has to with solar flares, at least not directly. It has to do with the fact that the satellites are "parked" in orbit directly over the equator. Imagine taking the entire "ring" of the equator and expanding it outward a few thousand miles. That's where the satellites are. In the spring and fall, when the sun crosses the equator, it happens that, for a few minutes during the daytime, and for a few consecutive days, the sun gets in a direct line with your dish and the satellite. When that happens, you may (or may not) experience signal loss. The dates, times, and duration of this phenomenon is dependent on the lat/long of your dish and the location of the satellite to which your are aimed. That's why the calculator that DJdish provided asks you to enter that data for it to calculate the schedule of possibe outages.

I have never personally exprerienced this phenomenon, even though during one outage season, I tuned in every day to see if it would happen.

But check the calculator....if the dates have passed for you, your problem lies elsewhere. Perhaps your dish pointing needs to be fine-tuned???

I've got two 1.2m dishes, and according to the sat calculator the dates have past. The interesting thing is that I do get a few channels during the day and all igoes back to normal in the evening.

Anyways, I'll get on the roof and see if it's a matter of fine tunning and will post my results.

Thanks a ton.

It might be worth your while to do a little investigation first, by noting which channels you are losing and checking to see if it's a problem with only one of your dishes, or if it appears to occur with channels from both satellites. That way, you won't waste time messing needlessly with a dish that is not at fault.

Here are a couple of links that list which channel comes from where:

Shaw Direct on Anik F1R at 107.3°W - LyngSat
Shaw Direct on Anik F2 at 111.1°W - LyngSat

if youre kind, could you send me info? please.

I'll PM you the broker and installer information.

Saludos.

I've been with charlie with a few years but after they replaced their 119° w sat, i've blacked out, i'm at Mexico City and i've seen that there are some places that offers the Canadian Sh** Direc*, and i wanted to migrate to that channel because i see that has many HD channels, so please could you send me the info by PM of the broker you talked about? By the way, do you think that i could use a Neosat Ipro 2000 to work with that sat system?

I just gat my Shaw Direct in Mexico, and I´ll like to contract direct wit Shaw, any help geting a virtual address, I have one in US for Direc TV? (When it worked)
Thnaks for the help

Olso, any installer to? in Mexico City

I just gat my Shaw Direct in Mexico, and I´ll like to contract direct wit Shaw, any help geting a virtual address, I have one in US for Direc TV? (When it worked)
Thnaks for the help

Olso, any installer to? in Mexico City

Do you already have your SD receiver and your dishes hooked up ?

Send me a PM

I have my system working with the Sat 107 with a 1.20 anntena, and already activated, but I can not find the 111.1 with a 1.80 antena, any help please, What I do not get is the LNB position or Skew (I Think is the name), anyone with a picture please? and what is better the 2 antenas like mine or the 1.80 with the 2 LNBs?

Last edited:
I have my system working with the Sat 107 with a 1.20 anntena, and already activated, but I can not find the 111.1 with a 1.80 antena, any help please, What I do not get is the LNB position or Skew (I Think is the name), anyone with a picture please? and what is better the 2 antenas like mine or the 1.80 with the 2 LNBs?

If you have your box activated then you need to tune to a channel in 111.1 try ch. 712, then following the same steps as on locking 107 you should get a signal, the skew is about the same as the one for 107, (I´m in Mexico City and there is a minimal difference in the skew position). I started with the same setup, i.e. 107 in 1.20 dish and 111.1 in 1.80, then for a time I had both in the 1.80 dish, the strength on 107 decreasing just slightly, nothing noticeable when watching, though, but last time I messed up with my dishes for some tests, I went back to my original setup, that is one sat on each dish. In my case it will be better to have both on the same dish, as I´m planning to use the 1.20 to get another FTA satellite

Having trouble with needing 3 lines to boxes, have one dvr and one single, with two large dishes and using the dual LNB's and sw21 switches I can only see getting two lines to the boxes and I need three. Anyone know what switch will work to get more line and still use 107 and 111?

I notice you said SW21, I did not know that worked with Shaw, But if they work try a SW44 it has 4 Sat entries.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts