StarChoice Info Needed

Al K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 11, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
I'm in the process of getting StarChoice and would appreciate a little help.

Does the *C receiver have an ATSC tuner? I believe it does.

Does the receiver output SD and HD simultaneously? I believe it does.

Does the component HD video output stay active when the receiver is off?

Can I point a dish at only the HD satellite? I understand the EPG is on the F1 satellite, but will I still get programming without the F1 satellite?

Thanks in advance,

Al Keown

I'm getting Star Choice, the equipment is on the way. I will be able to answer the questions in a few days.

From what I'm told a) the oval dish I'm getting picks up both of their sat F1 & F2 b) the HD DVR box does have an ATSC tuner. I am not sure if the box outputs SD & HD at the same time.

Again the equipment will be delivered any day - holiday rush may cause a extra day or two and I will be able to confirm.

Jerry

Does the *C receiver have an ATSC tuner?
No
Does the receiver output SD and HD simultaneously?
Yes

Does the component HD video output stay active when the receiver is off?
The receiver is only "Off" when the plug is pulled out of the wall. In "Standby Mode", the outputs are turned off in order to take firmware updates

Can I point a dish at only the HD satellite? I understand the EPG is on the F1 satellite, but will I still get programming without the F1 satellite?

Yes - you can. But if you do, you will be paying for a lot of SD programming that you cannot receive. Also in 2007, interactive services are scheduled to be launched (on F1R)

The receiver is only "Off" when the plug is pulled out of the wall. In "Standby Mode", the outputs are turned off in order to take firmware updates

Yes - you can. But if you do, you will be paying for a lot of SD programming that you cannot receive. Also in 2007, interactive services are scheduled to be launched (on F1R)

Thanks Satellite Expert. The Standby Mode is what I am interested in. I don't plan to watch only F2 on a permanent basis. I will be using two separate dishes with a switch since I already have the hardware. Thanks for your answers.

Al

Does Starchoice have one of those antennas where you can set up 2 rooms off of 1 receiver? I have Dish and have all 4 TVs on 2 receivers due to this, but I wanted to get *C from a broker and have 2 of them able to receive it as well...

Okay, I received my SC 505 receiver. I'm using a single dish/single lnbf. I sighted the dish to what I believe to be F1. (Moving the dish slightly to the west gives me a really strong signal on my meter. I suspect that this might be the E* and D* satellites at 110W).

Anyway, I have a signal level of 6.9 with a 90cm dish (seems low). After I got it all set up I turned it off (standby) and waited for authorization. I looked up at the receiver and the long narrow orange lights were lighting in sequence. I let it do that for about 14 hours and finally unplugged the receiver. Pressing the On/Off on the receiver or remote did nothing. Kusat authorized my receiver and said that I should have programming.

Is is possible to go through the setup using F2 instead of F1? I read somewhere else in this forum that you get the same satellite ID (A4) if you point the dish at F2.

Thanks,

Al

Sounds like we might live in the same locality....

Can't help you much, except I was the one that posted that "A4" seems to show up in the satellite ID no matter which (F1R or F2) the dish is pointed at. I'm intentionally pointed at only F2, but was mistakenly pointed at F1R (only) by installer. In either case, it was satellite ID "A4".

Anyway, I have a signal level of 6.9 with a 90cm dish (seems low). After I got it all set up I turned it off (standby) and waited for authorization. I looked up at the receiver and the long narrow orange lights were lighting in sequence. I let it do that for about 14 hours and finally unplugged the receiver. Pressing the On/Off on the receiver or remote did nothing. Kusat authorized my receiver and said that I should have programming.

That seems low. On my 30" dish I have +8.0 to +9.3 on F1

Can you get a picture on channel 299? If so, then you are aimed at F1. Did you skew (twist) the LNB for optimum signal"?

I did not try skewing the LNBF. I will try it, however my signal has magically gone up to 7.6.

I cannot receive any picture....none, zip, nada! I've got to be on the wrong satellite!

Thanks,

Al

On channel 299 with a 505 receiver you will get a signal bar and signal strength on F1 and F2, but when pointed at F2 you do not get a picture.
So, if you are pointed at F2, then you will find F1 by panning a hair to the left (from standing behind the dish) and Up 1 - 2 degrees of elevation.

If your receiver has the channel map loaded in it you may try changing to Ch. 400. This channel (TSN) does not have a similar frequency on F2, so it will only show you a green bar and signal strength when you are pointed at the correct satellite - F1.

Once you have the best signal strength you can achieve on F1. Adjust the skew slightly to achieve the best Ebnos reading (the + reading beside the signal strength on the 505 system status screen)

A good Ebnos reading in North America would be +9.0 or higher on Ch. 299.

Note: all channels are transmitted at different signal strengths and different Ebnos levels. Ch. 299 is a mid range channel so if you peak this as much as you can from your area then all the others will be in the ball park.

An example would be here today at my office:
299 is signal of 95% Ebnos +12.1
500 is signal of 86% Ebnos +11.4
400 is signal of 83% Ebnos +9.6
701 is signal of 97% Ebnos +13.1

Another question about StarChoice. Twice today (my first day of programming) my 505 receiver locked up. Once, power was on and I was tuned to ch 299. The picture and sound were fine, but I couldn't change channels, go to the Options, or turn the receiver off. I unplugged the receiver and plugged it back in. I left it for about 45 minutes and when I returned, the receiver wouldn't turn on. Neither the remote or the button on the receiver worked.

Last night it locked up with the lights on the right side of the front panel flashing in sequence. I'm a little leery about a new receiver with these problems. Does anyone else have lock up problems?

On channel 299 with a 505 receiver you will get a signal bar and signal strength on F1 and F2, but when pointed at F2 you do not get a picture.
So, if you are pointed at F2, then you will find F1 by panning a hair to the left (from standing behind the dish) and Up 1 - 2 degrees of elevation.
not if he is on the west coast :) Over there AnikF1 is lower than F2

An example would be here today at my office:
299 is signal of 95% Ebnos +12.1
500 is signal of 86% Ebnos +11.4
400 is signal of 83% Ebnos +9.6
701 is signal of 97% Ebnos +13.1

here in the US the numbers fluxuate greatly. The best I can pull in MN is a +10.0 on 299.
TSN is around 8.3

first if it locks up- try try holding the power/on off button ( on the receiver) for a few seconds, the lights will blink in sequence, then stop for about a minute, then blink again for 30 sec, then the receiver will come back on- mine locks up very once in a while- that seems to fix it- you lose your guide info for about 45 min.

The power button (Soft reset) or unplugging the unit from power should work to reset the unit.

After a 505 or 530 is activated.
Star Choice sends software updates to the receiver (usually at night) for up to a week after activation. The software they are assembled with is outdated and has some minor bugs.
This will clear up some of the glitches you might see like: lock up issues, the time on the front of the unit will change from a 24 hour clock to 12 hour clock, the "This channel not subscribed" box in the middle of working channels will disappear, etc.
So give it a little time to be updated to the current software version.

Greg

(I stand corrected Iceberg, I have always worked here in the East. thank you for the clarification)

The power button (Soft reset) or unplugging the unit from power should work to reset the unit.

After a 505 or 530 is activated.
Star Choice sends software updates to the receiver (usually at night) for up to a week after activation. The software they are assembled with is outdated and has some minor bugs.
This will clear up some of the glitches you might see like: lock up issues, the time on the front of the unit will change from a 24 hour clock to 12 hour clock, the "This channel not subscribed" box in the middle of working channels will disappear, etc.
So give it a little time to be updated to the current software version.

Greg

(I stand corrected Iceberg, I have always worked here in the East. thank you for the clarification)

Greg,

Is the current software "CC" for a 530? I have a brand new 530 receiver and 75cm dish I just installed and activated this week. Are there any other updates (firmware, software) that I should look for in the System Info menu? BTW, welcome to the forum! I really appreciate the info that you've passed along in these past few days.

first if it locks up- try try holding the power/on off button ( on the receiver) for a few seconds, the lights will blink in sequence, then stop for about a minute, then blink again for 30 sec, then the receiver will come back on- mine locks up very once in a while- that seems to fix it- you lose your guide info for about 45 min.

When this baby locks up, no number or combination of button pushes will reset it. Once it's reset, it will work for only a couple of minutes and then freeze again.

It's packed in the box and ready to ship.

Well, my new receiver arrived. I hooked it up, turned it on and everything looked okay........for a while. At first I got a signal level of 73% with an Ebnos of 8.4 and I got a picture on 299. I left it on 299 and came back later only to find an "Acquiring signal Please wait" (or similar). After a couple of hours I gave up. I couldn't select Options to check anything. I finally pulled the plug.

I went outside and checked all of my connections of my coax (which I had until recently used for BEV reception). Everything looked good. I got the receiver back to life and finally downloaded the program guide. I checked some channels and things were looking good. But then, the little red light came on, on the front panel and I got the dreaded "acquiring signal" message again. Pulled the plug again after an hour wait.

Now I've run a new temporary coax to do a test. Using the new coax, I'm back at a signal level of 73% and Ebnos of 8.4. It seems to me that the loss of signal has to be the receiver, the LNBF, or the coax cable. My dish is sturdy and has not moved. If I get a signal at all, its 73% and +8.4.

Kusat downloaded the latest software (34) for me before they shipped it out. Has anyone ever seen an intermittant LNBF? God I hope the temporary coax solves the problem. I wouln't bet on it, though.