Shaw Equipment need to be replaced by June 5, 2018

Discussion in 'Canadian Satellite Services' started by grantb3, Mar 6, 2018.

1. sharksfan

sharksfan New Member

I see where someone in LA was able to get an xKu LNB. I haven't been able to locate one here in the states. Can someone point me (PM me?) to a place to get one?
    Thanks

2. showtime

showtime SatelliteGuys Guru

I can mail you one from Canada, $80. PM me if you need. cheers

3. dish_dtv

dish_dtv SatelliteGuys Family

showtime, sent u a PM for Triple XKU LNB.

Others (anyone with DirectTV dish parts), can I use the WorldDirect Dish Reflector with an SlimLine Dish LNB arm?
    Reason i ask: Showtime confirmed that the Slimline 3 Dish reflector and Arm can be used with the Shaw Direct XKU Triple LNB. I want to know if using a larger Dish Reflector (which would be the Directv World Direct Dish) with the SlimLine 3 LNB arm would work? If it does, i will get the benefit of a larger dish (closer to the Shaw Direct 75E Dish) and also ensure that the SlimLine 3 arm will fit the Shaw Direct XKU Triple LNB.

Decisions, Decisions...

Any input appreciated!

4. dish_dtv

dish_dtv SatelliteGuys Family

Update.

World Direct Dish did not work, while Slimline did work ok with the triple xku. Took the plunge and ordered a 75E dish and Triple XKU LNB after conferring with some experts on this forum (thanks showtime and mike kohl). I am now getting 90+ signal strength and around 6 to 6.5 signal quality, so i am all set.

Note: World Direct dish WILL not work with Shaw Direct
    Slimline 3: depending on area, shd work with shaw direct. for north texas (espl. with poor EL AZ markings on mine), my signal strength was only 70-75 and quality was too low (approx 3.5 to 4), so elected to not use it.

hope this helps for anyone in southern part of USA looking at using other dish reflectors (instead of the 75E).

showtime likes this.
  5. jjg61

jjg61 New Member

Q1: How does the receiver channel 988 detect old lnb? Is the IF different between old and new or is it detecting lack of G1 satellite?
    Asking because i'm in Texas and understand G1 signal does not reach here.

Q2: Is the 75E dish big enough to receive f1r and f2 satellites in Austin?

Q3: My 830 box frequently tries sw download and fails. I only have one dish pointing to F2 (to get french stations for my wife). Is the data channel for download on F1R or G1 or is it likely my old lnb has too much phase noise?

6. showtime

Q1 The rec does not detect at all, it has to be told what lnb you are using which is changed at Shaws end. They will change the V-code to match it.
    Q2 The Shawdirect 75E dish works fine right down into Mexico, best choice if you can get one as they are a tad bigger than the slimline.
    Q3 Point your dish to F1 and you should be able to dl the new SW

Good idea to change to new lnb, it will give you a bit stronger signal and at some point Shaw is going to question people that decline to change it.

DJdish likes this.
  7. jjg61

jjg61 New Member

Thanks i'll order the Shawdirect 75E,

Q: Does the old lnb down convert the frequencies from the satellite differently from the new lnb?
    Q: Is phase noise the only difference between old and new LNB?

8. showtime

The big difference is that the new one picks up 3 satellites. There is usually a slight increase of signal strength with the new as well, but some cases a lot better as the old lnb gets weaker over time and eventually fails. In over 20 years of installing, I have never worried about phase noise or any othe noise unless the customer (kids) are playing Hip rot.. lol. But New is always better and the receiver knows what it has to do with the lnb.

nelson61 likes this.
  9. Bob M

Bob M New Member

Sent you a PM. Could really use some help obtaining one of the new Shaw LNBs. Thank you.

10. caryt

caryt Member

I just have a Shawdirect 75E dish with the quad LNB and so far haven't had to change to a 3 LNB?

11. showtime

Well you may not know it but you have lost channels that would be in your subscription.
    2. If you don't Shaw is going to want to know why. They are now trying to get a hold of customers with old equipment to book a service call to get them updated.
    3. The next phase will begin in the Spring when they start to turn off the standard def channels. The goal is to switch the remain channels in sd to HD by the end of 2019 making them all HD.

Everyone is advised to switch to the new LNB if you want to stay under the radar so to speak. :)

Separate names with a comma.

More...