need help with recent changes

Discussion in 'Canadian Satellite Services' started by sgmex, Aug 16, 2019.

1. sgmex

sgmex Topic Starter Member

Hi, I am new member so I hope I don't tread pon old info.
    I have 2 Shaw setups, one in rural Pa and one in Mexico. I never cared about having the best, only wanted to get TV. I have a low end TV package with no add ons.
    Shaw was the only choice for my Mexico place and now I have 2 dishes and get both HD and regular but I think I only get one satellite.
    How can I tell which one I get or how many?

More importantly at the moment is that my Pennsylvania set up just changed. I have one dish, not a shaw dish. It is a regular type dish about 30" wide and 35" high. I put in a new LNB in April due to their changes but I think it is only for non HD. (?) Unless I need to tune the dish in better. (?)
    I tuned in channel 300 which comes in good and I switched to it's HD channel 051, which came in for a few seconds and then went weird and then off.
    My receiver is a new 600 series.
    Do I need another new LNB or can this one get both Hd and non HD?
    Do I need a new dish or can I just re-adjust it?
    Can I get more than one satellite with this dish with a different LNB?

Any help would be appreciated.
    Stan

2. LOSat

LOSat SatelliteGuys Family

If you got a new LNB in April hopefully it was an xLNB ie and extended Ku LNB capable of getting reception from all three satellites. Pennsylvania is on the margin for getting a signal from G1, the more North you are in PA the better. Shaw has a 60 cm and 75 cm dish each with its own LNB to match the focal length. If you are using Shaw equipment the 75cm dish would be best to get the strongest signal. You can use larger dishes but not sure where you would source the correct LNB.

This map might help you know where the G1 signal drops off. Anik G1 at 107.3°W - LyngSat Maps

3. sgmex

No it was not one of those LNB's. It looked like the simple one I had at first, one sat. non HD. When they changed in April they made my old one obsolete so I bought another for the same purpose but digital so it would work.
    My setup in Mexico has 2 dishes and 2 different LNB's one for HD and one for nonHD.
    Would one of the LNB's you mentioned allow 2 or 3 sat's from my style of dish.

By the way I am in extreme northern Pa along the NY border so I am in the range of that sat.
    How can you find out what channels they have on which sat?
    [

Attached Files:

4. LOSat

LOSat SatelliteGuys Family

Thanks for the pic and I reread your first post. So yes it looks like you have a single satellite setup and probably aimed at F1R. Which means you would have lost many channels this past week. If you are in extreme northern PA you might be able to use a shaw 75 cm dish. That might be your best solution for your PA setup. There are some satellite dealers and ebay that would be a source of that equipment.

5. sgmex

Thank you, I will check it out

6. eastdoors

eastdoors Member

I need assistance activation of new receiver and triple Lnb. In lower 48.
    Can't get new third sat. Current Shaw customer for long time. Shaw gives std line USA no support etc even though...help?

7. sgmex

8. sgmex

So, I bought a new 75 dish with a triple sat lnb from a dealer in Canada and now I am trying to set it up. I went to dishpointer.com and put in my address etc and they told me to set it up like this. 32.3 elevation, 233.7 magnetis , 221.8 true reading, and a skew of 29.7.
    When I set it up like this it just doesn't seem right. The skew looks really wierd, (Turned way off center but that is 29.7) Could this be right?)
    The compass setting of 233.7 seems way off from where it was on the old dish that only got 1 sat.signal.
    The elevation of 32.3 seems correct.
    Does this skew seem correct? Should it be 29.7 off 90 or 29.7 on the dish markings?
    Is there another place to find dish settings?
    Thanks
    S

9. sgmex

So, I bought a new 75 dish with a triple sat lnb from a dealer in Canada and now I am trying to set it up. I went to dishpointer.com and put in my address etc and they told me to set it up like this. 32.3 elevation, 233.7 magnetis , 221.8 true reading, and a skew of 29.7.
    When I set it up like this it just doesn't seem right. The skew looks really wierd, (Turned way off center but that is 29.7) Could this be right?)
    The compass setting of 233.7 seems way off from where it was on the old dish that only got 1 sat.signal.
    The elevation of 32.3 seems correct.
    Does this skew seem correct? Should it be 29.7 off 90 or 29.7 on the dish markings?
    Is there another place to find dish settings?
    Thanks
    S

10. sty6

sty6 Active SatelliteGuys Member

Did you use the Starchoice107&111 selection in DP?. That is the one you want to use for dish settings.

11. catamount

catamount SatelliteGuys Pro

90 degrees on the marking is zero skew . So set your skew at about 120 degrees on the scale.

Catamount

12. sgmex

Thanks for the info. I used the settings for the satellites not for starchoice.
    They are different and I will try them.
    Thanks

13. sty6

sty6 Active SatelliteGuys Member

I did the same at first and thought the skew was way off when trying to align. Any other questions feel free to ask. I got my system up
    (had initial problems) but eventually figured it out. I am very happy with my service.

Separate names with a comma.

More...