StarChoice Info Needed

Which satellite(s) did you finallly end up pointing at? (I'm reading back up through your posts)

I belive, and my broker sorta confirmed this, that if you are pointed at only one satillite with a non-*C LNBF as I am, some unexpected things can result, and that I may be somewhat on-my-own as far as their ability to support me.

Just to refresh your memory, I'm pointed at F2 only.

Here's some wierd stuff: For example, I DO get programming on 299 (ebno=9.2), but it is NOT the *C Channel, its SRC Montreal in French. (I'm tuned to it as I write this.) Programming in my package said to be on 730, and on F1R only, comes in on my setup on 508. There are numerous other situations like this. I don't get any programming outside my package, it's just that programming thought to be on F1R comes in on my system on channels other than those listed in the guide. I've just decided to live with it rather than ask too many questions.

Is your broker/support person aware of any possible non-standard aspects to the configuration of your system? Could this be contributing to your problem?

Sorry I'm not much help...I can feel your pain.

Kusat downloaded the latest software (34) for me before they shipped it out. Has anyone ever seen an intermittant LNBF? God I hope the temporary coax solves the problem. I wouln't bet on it, though.

If this continues, swap the 2 lines to the other 2 outputs on the quad LNBF

I'm using a single LNBF with a 90cm dish pointed at F1. I intended to point to only F2 once I got the system running.

I did make some headway. It seemed to me that if the receiver was displaying the "loss of signal...re-acquiring signal" message, that I should be able to use the remote to look at the installation pages. Nada, zip, nothing. The only thing that works is the "On/Standby". The receiver works fine until the message pops up. It seemed to me like maybe a heat related problem, since it occurs after an hour or two. I took the receiver out of the shelf (same place my old BEV receiver was) and put it on a table out in the open. It's been on for two hours now without a problem.

Does the 505 run hot? The shelf in my entertainment center is 8" high, open in the front, with a cutout in the back for wires. I have other electronics in identical shelves and the 505 is the only one that seems to have a problem.

I'm posting this saga in hopes others can help me, but also for others to use. This forum has been a big help to me in deciding to go with Starchoice and with the technical issues. The suggestion to skew the LNBF helped me alot. I got my signal level up to the point that it's no longer an issue.

if you lose sat signal of f1 or f2 you will get weird channles were others are suppose to be- if i lose f2 i will get abc spokane where cbc hd is suppose to be.

If you have a StarChoice Quad LNB (square) it does not matter which ports you connect your coax to.
Think of a quad as an LNB and 4x4 multiswitch built into one neat unit on the end of your dish. Any port is an output that can pick up Vertical or Horizontal feeds from either of the 2 satellites.

If you have a non-starchoice lnb and 299 has green signal strength and picture and is every 20mins in English and 20mins in French then you are looking at F1.

If 299 has green signal and no picture, or "acquiring signal screen" then you are pointed at F2.

The best test is Ch. 400 (tsn) this signal (frequency) only exists right now on F1. So if you only see signal strength on the signal bar on Ch. 400.....when you are looking at F1.

F1 is the main English programming satellite.
F2 is HD channels, foreign language and business television stations.

If you have a non-starchoice lnb and 299 has green signal strength and picture and is every 20mins in English and 20mins in French then you are looking at F1.

If 299 has green signal and no picture, or "acquiring signal screen" then you are pointed at F2.

What if you are using a DSR 315, non-*C LNB, and 299 is always SRC ( in French & has the famliar SRC/CBC Logo in the lower right)? What causes this? I'm sure I'm pointed at F2 since I get the French programming I am paying for (the channels in the 700 range)

joshuals

you are correct. I am aimed at F1 only and if I select channel 420 (NFL Network which is on F2) I get a different channel on that.

IN these cases, the system just shows whatever is on same transponder/pids on the other satellite.

I thought I posted this, but it looks like I didn't.

Kusat gave me a procedure to follow.

disconnect power cord
disconnect sat cable
wait 5 minutes
connect sat cable
connect power cord

I inadvertantly went through this process when I removed the receiver from the shelf. Anyway, everything seems to be okay with the receiver sitting on my sub-woofer.

I guess I'm ready to aim at F2.

What if you are using a DSR 315, non-*C LNB, and 299 is always SRC ( in French & has the famliar SRC/CBC Logo in the lower right)? What causes this? I'm sure I'm pointed at F2 since I get the French programming I am paying for (the channels in the 700 range)

joshuals

I checked on lyngsat.com and channel 299 is on AnikF1 Transponder 13 channel 10 in the group of channels on that transponder

On F2, Radio Canada Alberta is on TP13 channel 10 so that's why it does that :)

I finally tried pointing my 90cm dish to F2 and got the signal immediately. The signal strength should be higher on F2 than on F1, but with my luck it's not yet. I tweaked the alignment (including the LNBF skew) but couldn't match the numbers on F1. I'm kinda tired of messing with it so I'll wait until I get a burst of enthusiasm.

Some comments regarding SC service. The HD picture quality is about the same as for BEV, which isn't saying much. The Motorola 505 receiver is at least two or three generations behind others. I also have an old Motorola 4DTV Cband system, so I am sort of used to the slow On-Screen-Guide.

One question, what are the colored vertical bars at the left side of the program guide entries? Sometimes they're green, other times red or yellow. I know it's going to be simple, but I can't find any info in the user's manual.

quick edit: Is there ever any HD programming on the National Geographic HD channel?

Last edited:
Hit your online help button. The colours refer to type of programming, e.g one colour for movies, another for sports, etc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts