Starchoice Initial Installation - Brand New Box - Huge Dish - Low Signal Level

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ckinninger

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 3, 2005
Hello,

We're trying to setup a brand new SC box south of the boarder. We actually are in Central Mexico.

Normally in this area people use a 1.2m (4 foot) dish to pickup SC. We have several dishes and the one we are testing with is actually 2.4m (8 feet!).

Here is the issue and others have had it too with trying setup a brand new receiver before activating...

The receivers have been on the shelf for about 6 months and are brand new. DSR205. We set the Provider ID to 4128 and peak the dish. With this huge antenna we are only getting 40 signal. The menu states "correct satellite" as well. With this size dish we should have a far greater signal level.

We have tried the LNB that member mikekohl recommends (Pansat PT-5600) and another as well - both give same signal level. Both are correct specs 10750 LO Standard 11.7-12.2 Linear.

Others that have had their systems for years say they're getting 60 signal with only a 1.2m dish.

I have a feeling most brought the receivers down pre-activated. We don't have that luxury.

Is there something I'm missing maybe in configuring the receiver? Software outdated? Something I need to check off in the menu? Or is the signal for some reason low until it is activated (that makes no sense I know)?

Any help would be appreciated.

CK

Is the dish perforated?? If so, what is the hole diameter. Do you have another receiver and if so, how is reception on other Ku satellites??

Helllo CSPiteri,

I don't know what you mean by perforated. Damaged? hehe... It's a Fiberglass KU offset. We move the dish a few degrees to the west and pickup Echo 110 very strong with this dish - just put the circular LNB on for that and a dish 311 receiver.

I'm going to try a DSR207 and see if that's any different too.

Thanks for the help.

CK

No idea if this matters or even applies but

I just got a 505 to replace a 500. When I hooked up the 505, prior to activation, I noticed signal level was at 40%. Figured I needed to re-point the dish. I decide to work through the activation first.

After activation, go back to signal level thinking I am headed outside and I notice back at 70%.

All I can tell you is the signal level was definitely lower prior to activating the receiver. No idea why or if this is your problem.

Have you tried with an activated receiver?

Hello Chemie,

Thanks a lot for the info. I am hoping that is what it is. The receiver reports lower signal level than the receiver really has.

Like you, I don't know if that's really the issue but it is positive to hear someone else stating the same thing. I think it is the issue even though it's not proven yet.

I do notice that on the sys-check screen it says 70 and quality 60, but the meter says 45.

I'll repost when either I find an activated receiver, or activate this one, or if I try a different model.

Thanks again.

CK

Try ignoring the signal level and go by the db reading for each sat. F1r and F2. If you are getting 6.0 or higher your reception will be just fine.

to access the ebno #, options 6-0-5 right arrow to diagnostic c. On the right hand side there should be a number

If the box has been activated (ever) select channel 299. If it is a virgin box then select 284.

Models 207, 317, 505 and 530 have a different method of metering commands, 'Berg. What you describe is true for the 315 and 400 series Star Choice receivers, but in the past couple of years, Ch 299 on Anik F1R has switched to a subscription mode. Preactivated receivers should go to 354 to see if you get a picture on Anik F1R, or 266 on Anik F2 (French PPV Promos).
If neither of these are working, the newer receivers should go to 299 and
await a green signal light, then give the machine 5 or 10 minutes more to download a map of F1R channels. THEN you should have pictures from 354
on F1R. Once that works, go back to channel 299 and again confirm a green signal light---then it is ready to be called in for activation for subscription.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)