Starchoice receiver with different dish

trish0366

Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Ontario Canada
Hi, we have brought our StarChoice receiver down south for our RV, and we are wondering what dish we could buy in Nevada that would be compatible with the receiver we have. We were given a Dish Network dish, but we were told we might not be able to use it. We are afraid to try to hook up our receiver, in case it is not compatible and causes problems.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My understanding is that if you had the newest *C dish with the quad LNB (a small box with 4 connectors on it) in Canada, there is no direct substitute dish that can be used because that style LNB is proprietary to *C and can't be purchased elsewhere.

If you had the older style dish in Canada, the one with the LNB that looks like two tin cans, then you could substitute two generic FTA dishes (e.g. Patriot 85's) to capture the two *C satellites. If you were interested in English-only and no HD, you could use just one generic dish and point it at Anik F1R.

In truth, even if you had the newest style dish in Canada, you could use the generic dish setup in the US, but you would need to call *C and request they make a change to the software in your receiver, which they would send to you remotely via the satellite. However, such a call might result in the CSR inquiring as to why you didn't sign up for the "home away from home" package, in which case *C would have provided you with another standard *C dish in exchange for $50. I don't think they would send the dish to a non-Canadian address, though. Additonally, you would then need to reverse the change process when you returned to your home.

There's more information about using generic dishes for *C on the Global Communications website under the "Canadian Solution" page. You may need to dig a little to find the right sub-page, or you can call them or e-mail them. They're very helpful.

You can get *C hardware through Kusat, and they will ship outside of Canada.

*C will only ship a "home away from home" dish to your registered Canadain address, from there you can bring it with you and set it up at your second residence.

If you are going to be in Nevada for awhile and have a the standard 60E dish at home I would order a 75E dish from Kusat.

I agree with the other posters that your best bet is to just buy the proper dish.

I have had a regular 75E dish in Seattle for several years now.

It works great.

I just connect my receiver in Seattle or Port McNeill - nothing special and no hassles.

The folks at Kusat were very nice, and the dish was reasonably priced.

Last edited: