Considering HD PVR Plus system from Bell (2 TV's)

DCinBC

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 30, 2007
Hi,

I am considering renting this HD PVR from Bell intsead of a separate PVR and receiver. It will cost 8 bucks more a month, but will record a lot more and I can view it on 2 TV's. I have 2 questions that I have not been able to get conclusive answers to from Bell:

1. Can I use this receiver for two non HD tvs? I don't have a HD tv yet and wonder if this receiver will work with the 2 standard tvs that I have now?

2. The external Hard Drive ability is interesting. Would this work with only a certain Hard Drive? How much recording could one get out of a 750 GB drive?

Thanks!
DC

1. Yes you can use it for two SD TV's

2. Most external hard drives work. Bell wants you to use the LaCie. They have had some issues when the drive ends up getting full. I'm sure with updates it will all work fine. I'm pretty sure a 750GB will give you approx. 133 hours of HD or 998 Hours of SD.

The 9242 is a great receiver. They are soon replacing the 9242 with a 9241 which will have two tuners but no dual TV ability.

Thanks.... the other issue I have is whether it is possible to transfer programs recorded on my 5900 to the new PVR....

I don't think that is possible. If someone else knows how please let us know...

Hi,

I am considering renting this HD PVR from Bell intsead of a separate PVR and receiver.

1. Can I use this receiver for two non HD tvs?

The TV1 output has only HDMI and Component video connectors - there is no composite or S-Video, which is what most SD sets need to connect directly. OTOH, you can connect to TV1 on the 9242 by setting up RF output on the tuner. Initial setup could be interesting if you're not using HDMI or component.

The TV1 output has only HDMI and Component video connectors - there is no composite or S-Video, which is what most SD sets need to connect directly. OTOH, you can connect to TV1 on the 9242 by setting up RF output on the tuner. Initial setup could be interesting if you're not using HDMI or component.

Wrong. TV1 HAS composite and S-video outputs.

Well after quite the series of progression at Bell through two CSA's, then a "cancelation" dept rep who doubted that the 9242 would work on two standard TV's, I am pleased and thanks for the info to be prepared with. The rep Eventually checked with her tech experts, and finally said I was right.... Now, I wanted the current offer of $10 off for 12 months. They wouldn't do that, but did give me a significant period of free receiver rental....better than the offer I wanted. I'm happy and have the install in a week. Now, is there any way I can transfer events stored on my current PVR 5900 to the new PVR? Thanks, DC

Glad you got that settled.

Like I said before I don't think there is a way to get the 5900 programs onto the 9242. You are probably best to get a DVD recorder and then you will not have to leave them on the hard drive anyway.

As QCK says, there is no way to transfer recordings from your old 5900. Why not keep the 5900 and have Bell do a full installation of the 9242, then you could still watch whatever is recorded on the 5900 whenever you want.

The thing I like about the 9242 is the fact that BOTH Tuner #1 &#2 are output on the Coaxial output, that means being able to monitor what is being watched on the other TV which is pretty cool. If you splice the RF feed from the 5900 into the cables, you could watch those shows as well throughout the house on Channel 3 or 4, along with both tuners of the 9242.....

Well after quite the series of progression at Bell through two CSA's, then a "cancelation" dept rep who doubted that the 9242 would work on two standard TV's, I am pleased and thanks for the info to be prepared with. The rep Eventually checked with her tech experts, and finally said I was right.... Now, I wanted the current offer of $10 off for 12 months. They wouldn't do that, but did give me a significant period of free receiver rental....better than the offer I wanted. I'm happy and have the install in a week. Now, is there any way I can transfer events stored on my current PVR 5900 to the new PVR? Thanks, DC

Good thing you got it now. As mentioned, the end of Dual Tuner PVRs for two TVs at Bell is near. I can't believe they are dropping the 9242.

One day the hard drive on the 5900 is going to fail. If those recordings are that important to you you really should get them on some stable media.

Just like peano, I can't believe they are not going to continue to offer a 2 TV solution and drop the 9242. Maybe there is another new version they will offer like Dish's 722k or 922 in the near future.

I think Bell have regretted getting into this entire 2TV solution range of receivers. It has caused nothing but trouble for Technicians and customers alike. Techs were told originally that the feed to the remote TV (Backfeed) was billable, then they were free to the Customer but the Techs got paid for them, then last of all, they were free to Customers AND the Techs did them for free.

I doubt any Technicians will be sad to see them go.

lets face it the only other 2 Dual Tuner receivers for the 2TV solution, have already gone, 3200 & 5200.

I am waiting to get my hands on the 9241, sure that will be a winner.......

Yes it is.

But as I get every receiver that Bell release (Just Don't ask.....lol) I am looking forward to playing with this model and the 6131.

They will add nicely to my collection of the Good the Bad and the Ugly of the past and present Dishnetwork Canada/ ExpressVu/Bell TV receivers......lol

The advantage for us is that both TV's can access the recorded shows and the external HD ability may come in useful. We take it on the road in our RV so it if we are not recoding in HD, it has lots of room. Thanks,

I dragged our VCR in and hooked it up....but it also only goes up to ch 69. BUT I switched the signal to air and was able to get some signal. At times the colours are messed up (technical term) and it is not crystal clear, but was able to watch shows... now I guess I have to get a VCR with a tuner....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)