Starchoice Recording Option

mreiber

Original poster
Feb 23, 2009
Alberta
I've recently purchased a Sony Bravia DVD/HDD player and it has the capability that you should be able to program it to record from the receiver. But when i go into my options on the Sat. receiver the "Record" option is greyed out. The Sony equipment has the capability to auto detect (Synchro Record is what they call it) and the receiver will turn on the recorder when the recording is supposed to start. :confused: Hope this makes some sense.

Any idea how the recording option is turned on in the Sat. receiver (I have a DRS 505)

I think about all you can do with the 505 is to set timers to change the channel at the same time you have the DVD recorder set to record. There is no ability for the 2 devices to automatically make the recordings. The Record option is greyed out because the menus are the same for the 505 and the 535 but some functions are missing for the 505.

I think about all you can do with the 505 is to set timers to change the channel at the same time you have the DVD recorder set to record. There is no ability for the 2 devices to automatically make the recordings. The Record option is greyed out because the menus are the same for the 505 and the 535 but some functions are missing for the 505.
Yes, you are correct...I was confused when I asked that.

I went home and messed around with it, but found another problem. I set the receiver to come on at a certain time, set my recorder to Syncho Record. With this Synchro record the recorder senses when a video signal is being sent and then turns itself on to record. But whenever I set the Synchro record to on, the recorder turns off (like it should) but then turns back on within a minute.
So that tells me that I am getting a constant signal to my recorder, even when the receiver is shut off....? I have the two linked together with a S-Video cable. Any idea why this would be happening or any ideas of what else I could try?

Thanks

It's happening because the 505 produces a video sync signal always (except maybe briefly during bootup) when plugged into power. I've noticed this with *C receivers and other Motorola equipment when trying to use a video sensing auto switcher. Not a good design.

You'll just have to set a manual timer for the recorder and the receiver each time. Or maybe your recorder can use an IR blaster (like TiVo) to change the channel?