Starchoice settings

on the 505/530 its options 6-4-7 line C shows an Ebno # which allows you to make more finite changes and see them. The signal meter is kinda deceiving as when I had my 505 set up to a 4 foot dish in Minnesota would show 97-98 signal on all channels yet the ebno's varied from +14.5 down to +12.5 on SD

on the 505/530 its options 6-4-7 line C shows an Ebno # which allows you to make more finite changes and see them. The signal meter is kinda deceiving as when I had my 505 set up to a 4 foot dish in Minnesota would show 97-98 signal on all channels yet the ebno's varied from +14.5 down to +12.5 on SD

Thanks for the input. Your 4 foot dish gives unreal signal, and Ebno numbers! I know about the Ebno numbers from that page, but didn't realise mellaby was refering to them as signal strength numbers.

My understanding is Ebno numbers are a measurement of the digital signal to noise ratio at the incoming terminals of the reciever. Obviously the higher the value the better the signal quality, but not necessarily strength. Now the 75e does pull in more signal than the 60e. I assume once the reciever has enough signal strength to convert the channel, it then becomes all about Ebno (Quality).

I'm wondering if the LNBs degrade over time and would impact this as well??? Any idea or data available?

Iceberg beat me to the reply. He is correct. The higher the Ebno # the better your signal will survive a rain fade plus I need really good levels for the 630 PVR. I did have a LNB that went weak over time a few years ago, but not lately.

those numbers mellaby posted looks like what I've seen on a 75e dish so I just assumed thats what he was talking about

I know LNB's can degrade depending on temperatures. I had my quad LNB short out in the cold of winter (-10F or below) but work fine above that. I also have a LNB that has been on my free to air system for the last 4 winters with no issues at all. Signals just as good as a new one