StarChoice (Shaw) Cleveland Ohio

TrailerParkFan

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 14, 2009
the shores of Lake Erie
Hello, I've been a long time lurker and finally am making that first post! (Go easy on me!) My husband and I have had Directv for as long as it has been available in our area and at the time it was a great choice; to be honest, price wise, it is still better then anything else in our area...the problem? We are paying for a lot of channels we don't want to get a few we do like! We are big fans of Canadian tv and have decided to get a StarChoice system. Since we live along Lake Erie, (and where we used to get some Canadian channels) we know we'll have a good strong signal. Problem? I am wondering if anyone could install it for us and how much they would charge. I am sure my husband could do it...if he wanted to. :rant:

Anyway, I am also a bit unclear about the programming. Here it is simple, you get to pick from package 1,2,3 or 4. It seems there is a lot of ala cart type stuff with the Canadian programming. (A big plus if you ask me.) Here is basically what I am looking for; if someone could point me to the most cost effective solution I would be forever in your debt:

I didn't see any "Disney" channels - are they not available in Canada?

I was thinking the "Gold" package would probably work best if we want HD...
or
The Digital favourites with a couple of add ons if we don't go HD...

Basically I am looking for what would be comparable to Choice Plus on Directv without all the B.S! (don't need all the religious channels, reality channels, misc sports channels) We want the big news networks, all the childrens programming we can get, all the "smart" channels we can get (TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery, Food etc...) Showcase is a must, IFC would be nice.

I know that is a lot of information but this is a big decision for us. Husband needs lots of info before he is comfortable making a decision. I've even been considering keeping our Directv and getting a Free-to-Air satellite but I am having a hard time figuring out what channels we can get with that!

So if you've read this all the way through and think you can give me some help, I'd appreciate it!:eek:

Welcome to SatGuys from a fellow Clevelander. Unfortunately, I can't answer your questions regarding programming, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to go through a broker to get Canadian TV here in the states...just wanted to make sure you knew that.

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

We are big fans of Canadian tv and have decided to get a StarChoice system. Since we live along Lake Erie, (and where we used to get some Canadian channels) we know we'll have a good strong signal. Problem? I am wondering if anyone could install it for us and how much they would charge. I am sure my husband could do it...if he wanted to.

If you can use a drill and basic hand tools, you can install a dish. It's actually pretty straightforward. If I can do it, anyone can.

Anyway, I am also a bit unclear about the programming. Here it is simple, you get to pick from package 1,2,3 or 4. It seems there is a lot of ala cart type stuff with the Canadian programming. (A big plus if you ask me.) Here is basically what I am looking for; if someone could point me to the most cost effective solution I would be forever in your debt:

I didn't see any "Disney" channels - are they not available in Canada?

A lot of Disney programming is seen on family channel in Canada, which is vastly different from ABC family. That being said, Playhouse Disney is now available in Canada, though not on Shaw Direct.

I was thinking the "Gold" package would probably work best if we want HD...
or
The Digital favourites with a couple of add ons if we don't go HD...

you will want the HD

Basically I am looking for what would be comparable to Choice Plus on Directv without all the B.S! (don't need all the religious channels, reality channels, misc sports channels) We want the big news networks, all the childrens programming we can get, all the "smart" channels we can get (TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery, Food etc...) Showcase is a must, IFC would be nice.

You've done your homework, researching the shawdirect website, so you have a pretty good idea of what kind of programming you want. just an FYI, specialty channels such as food and HGTV are different in Canada, so some shows aren't the same. My wife's only gripe is that she doesn't get to see Paula Dean every day on Food.

Someone else said you need to go through a broker. that is not entirely tryue, but it makes life a lot easier.

All the Disney Channel stuff is on Family
The Nickelodeon stuff (kids) is on YTV

Both have a E & W coast feed so if you miss something you can see it 3 hours later :)

although this is outside the scope of your question and this forum, if you are relatively close to lake erie, you should be able to pick up over the air stations from London with an outdoor antenna pointed north.

Thanks for the info...the two little guys wouldn't want to lose their Disney programs. :) They are really excited about getting "Treehouse" though. Most of the shows they love (like Max & Ruby) are Treehouse productions.

We were going to use family's address originally but I don't want to risk getting them in trouble so I think we will use a broker. The exchange rate thing has got me a little concerned, but who knows...? Our economy might pick up.....someday. :rolleyes:

Our "over the air" antenna isn't connected anymore. We just have a small digital one for the tv in the kitchen. :(

Has anyone else had any problem getting Canadian tv here in the US? I have family that gets it at their vacation house, so I can't see it being such a big deal.

As for installing it myself...I am afraid my AD/HD will kick in and I'll never get the thing pointing exactly right. We currently have a Directv dish on the house too...guess we'll have to take that down because the husband doesn't want too many holes drilled into the house. :rolleyes:

Welcome to the forum. I'll try to answer your questions as best I can.

If you can use a drill and basic hand tools, you can install a dish. It's actually pretty straightforward. If I can do it, anyone can.

A lot of Disney programming is seen on family channel in Canada, which is vastly different from ABC family. That being said, Playhouse Disney is now available in Canada, though not on Shaw Direct.

you will want the HD

You've done your homework, researching the shawdirect website, so you have a pretty good idea of what kind of programming you want. just an FYI, specialty channels such as food and HGTV are different in Canada, so some shows aren't the same. My wife's only gripe is that she doesn't get to see Paula Dean every day on Food.

Someone else said you need to go through a broker. that is not entirely tryue, but it makes life a lot easier.

I am not a Paula Deen fan, so that's okay with me. :) Is there anything MAJOR that we have here that is missing with the Canadian satellite programming? Personally, the only channels I watch are Food, Bravo, TLC, IFC, and our 101 Network and that is just for one specific show that I can get with the Canadian programming.
I did notice a BIG lack of religious programming on Canadian tv...that was a relief! It seems a good portion of the channels we get are religious networks!

I am not a Paula Deen fan, so that's okay with me. :) Is there anything MAJOR that we have here that is missing with the Canadian satellite programming? Personally, the only channels I watch are Food, Bravo, TLC, IFC, and our 101 Network and that is just for one specific show that I can get with the Canadian programming.
I did notice a BIG lack of religious programming on Canadian tv...that was a relief! It seems a good portion of the channels we get are religious networks!

The only major thing missing is college sports.

Thanks for the info...the two little guys wouldn't want to lose their Disney programs. :) They are really excited about getting "Treehouse" though. Most of the shows they love (like Max & Ruby) are Treehouse productions.
I've got 2 nieces so Family & treehouse are always on. The oddball thing with family is usually there are no commercials so the shows start at 00 & 30 and end about 22 minutes later.....so for 7-8 minutes there is filler. Sometimes they just start the new show so you'll see lots of oddball start times

We were going to use family's address originally but I don't want to risk getting them in trouble so I think we will use a broker. The exchange rate thing has got me a little concerned, but who knows...? Our economy might pick up.....someday. :rolleyes:
honestly unless they have Shaw, use their address. Shaw allows you to call from the US and you can go paperless billing. A broker "holds your account hostage" and honestly why pay the extra money for it when you can do it yourself?

Has anyone else had any problem getting Canadian tv here in the US? I have family that gets it at their vacation house, so I can't see it being such a big deal.
no big deal. I have it here in MN

although this is outside the scope of your question and this forum, if you are relatively close to lake erie, you should be able to pick up over the air stations from London with an outdoor antenna pointed north.

Unless you want to spend a lot of time and money, it's very difficult to pick up OTA from London anymore. I'm right on the lake, under a mile in fact, and I have been unable to get a solid signal for years, Heck, it's difficult to get Cleveland OTA if you live on the lake, as the transmitters are south of the city. The topography limits me.

In NE Ohio, Bell TV has a strong signal for both 91 and 82 satellites. No problem at all for reception here.

I agree with Iceberg 100%, if you have a Canadian address then use it. That way you have total control yourself.

Along with very limited college US sports the Food Network and HGTV are Canadian versions. So shows like "The Next Food Network Star" & "Design Star" are not shown. On the flip side you will get quality progamming like "Canada's Worst Driver", "Canada's Worst Handyman" & "Handyman Superstar Challenge" just to name few. ;)

Agreed with preferring the Canadian address route.
I would caution also on comparing Canadian IFC and Bravo with the US versions. In my opinion, Canadian IFC is much inferior to the U.S. one, having commercials and nowhere near the amount nor the quality of films.
The opposite may be true in Bravo's case. Bravo in Canada started out as a pretty high level and Sundance-like arts and culture channel with good uncommercialed and uncut films and shorts each night. Its programming has deteriorated quite a bit, but to me still is totally unlike the U.S. Bravo, which now appears to want to be a U.S. Style Channel look-alike and a hotbed of reality tv.
Just my view as one who has both sets of programming. Hope this helps in your decision-making.

Im in Canton and get shaw just fine we have had it for several years now and are very happy with it however showtime is not what it once was and if your looking for tpb your better with directvs the 101 (they show tpb uncut) becouse show only shows edited versions of tpb now for some odd reason, that being said it is still very worthwile to have, also as far as childrens programming they also have nick now on ch 550 as well.

I have the 75e dish and it is very easy to set uphere becouse the signal is so strong I can usually peak (fine tune the dish) in 5 min.

gold is a good package just make sure you get the nets pachage it is nice to have the east and west feeds and if you have hd and pick your sd west nets right you will hane all 3 sets (used to be 4) when you pick your east sd nets feeds make sure you specify pbs buffalo as it is far superior to pbs detroit.

also as stated by others eraler you want hd, the picture quality on shaw's sd is stunning compared to directv and the hd is even better even if you do not have an hd tv (we do not) but will watch the hd channels over sd whenever availible.

If you have the oportunity to do it yourself do it, the broker I have is great, but even so it takes a couple of days to get changes made and there is the extra cost plus you dont have control over your system and if you broker goes belly up you can find yourself out in the cold (search the site for canam satellites).

If you go with shaw only you will want to get an antenna to get some of the local channels becouse when I when with only shaw I missed seeing the local news but being in cleveland bunny ears and a digital box should do just fine.

Also on a side note if you have Vonage I have read that you can get a local canadian number and can call directly (if your not going through a broker) and supposedly order ppv as well.

hope this has helped
cheers

BTW, I was thinking about getting a cell phone (either prepaid or contractual) with a Canadian phone number. Would that fly? I am not sure how Vonage would work, since we have an AT&T landline. Would we have to give up the landline? If I get the cell phone/phone service; I'd feel more comfortable using my family members address...I'd just hate for someone to answer the phone and "slip" and say they don't have service with them, or worse, to have one of the kids accidentally rat us out! LOL!

Shaw doesnt care if you use your US phone number

I call them all the time from my US (Minnesota) phone number. My "Canadian" phone number on file with Shaw doesnt exist :)

It is too bad...

MagicJack still does not have Canadian phone numbers (I just checked). It would allow for seemless purchase of PPV also.

Satboyz

If you do go the cell phone route check to see what the roaming charges are...we have verizon and the first time I used it in Canada it cost a small fortune also I had no voice mail up there...I figure if you went with a Canadian cell provider you might have the same issues here. But as Ice has said shaw really doesnt care they even have a home away from home program...dont really know the details but Im sure someone will reply and give the details on that as well.

Cheers

I'd like to comment quickly on the idea of using a Broker vs a friend or family address. I would highly suggest using a known family address instead of a broker. In fact, I have an arrangement with a fellow SatelliteGuys member, he uses my Canadian name/address/phone to subscribe to Starchoice, and I use his US address to subscribe my Big Dish. We are both in full control of our subscriptions, and don't have to go through a broker to make any programming changes.

Years ago I used a 'broker' for a DirecTV subscription. There was an annual fee of $60, plus a $10 charge for any time I wanted to make a programming change.

If you use a broker, and they decide to close up shop, you could be left with satellite receiving equipment that is worthless.